Jump to content

Let's Talk About: A Well Executed Stunt (sacking Breezus) GIFs ADDED


Recommended Posts

@PeytonMannings Forehead Great breakdown. Question: Since there's the huge gap between Grady and Clay, what's to stop team's from seeing this look and checking to a run in that gap, or a draw or something to counter the stunt? Or do we reserve this for super obvious, terrible idea to run, situations?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Are you planning to do the play where Vic got the sack? The effort and motor for the defensive line was a thing of beauty for just about the entire game. 

I wanted to get to all of them, but the week is getting away from me quick.  I'll see what I can do.  This one really jumped out to me Sunday.  

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

PMF this what absolutely kills me we’ve had this personnel all year and why we can’t dial this chaos up every week frustrates the fark out of me.

Fast & Physical is it like old Skool fire alarms break glass when fire occurs.

 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

Man PMF they finally gave us what we've wanted! Great break down. I don't know why it's taken so long for this pass rush to come alive but they finally did and the perfect team to do it against. I loved it all!

Exactly.  And ain't none of it rocket science.  We've never been a heavy stunt team despite the fact that we do execute them pretty well.  I saw this advanced stat from a few season ago where we were at the bottom of the league at running stunts, but right at the top in effectiveness when we did run them.  I get it when you got Freeney and a hot Vic you might just wanna let them do their thing, but we've been pitiful rushing the passer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed.  Effort is non-negotiable, and for all you can say about Takk, he brings it.

It's not popular with some, but his win rate speaks for itself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Top 10 DE/OLB Pass Rush Win Rate

1. T.J. Watt, Steelers, 32%
2. Robert Quinn, Cowboys, 31%
3. Takkarist McKinley, Falcons, 31%
4. Myles Garrett, Browns, 28%
5. Preston Smith, Packers, 27%
6. Matthew Judon, Ravens, 27%
7. Jadeveon Clowney, Seahawks, 26%
8. Dante Fowler Jr., Rams, 26%
9. DeMarcus Lawrence, Cowboys, 25%
10. Za'Darius Smith, Packers, 25%

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papachaz said:

since I had two older sisters, and two younger sisters, I understood it perfectly

 

:lol:

 

thank PMF! Man I've missed these, because there's been no reason for you to DO them, and we've missed that too! Thanks again for helpin to educate us ignorant ones

 

:tiphat:

:lol::lol::lol:

23 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead Great breakdown. Question: Since there's the huge gap between Grady and Clay, what's to stop team's from seeing this look and checking to a run in that gap, or a draw or something to counter the stunt? Or do we reserve this for super obvious, terrible idea to run, situations?

Absolutely nothing.  And that is one of the risks that you take running them, that's why you want to mix them up, and your alignments the same way you mix your coverages.  An offense gets a look at the same thing long enough, they'll come up with a counter.

Now in this case though, a lot of it is game planning.  You got a good idea of tendencies based on down and distance, and formation.  Plus in this particular stunt, you do hope/expect that the middle don't be wide open to be gashed from the loopers going inside.  There are certain stunts that you like to run specifically to stop certain runs -- especially if you don't have a huge defensive line but you have a quickness advantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Takk needs clowney on the other end and some good lber play behind him. 

Here’s the thing to factor in with Clowney. Clowney has been incognito for most of the season until the Seahawks got Jarran Reed back from suspension. 

Clowney has been a plus run defender all year and he’s actually been getting pressure but there was no interior push to help him out. Jarran Reed finally showed out Monday night. 
 

I don’t know that Takk needs another blue chipper to bookend with him since we’ve got Grady (although it certainly wouldn’t help) so much as he needs better coverage on that back end. I’m still not sure he is gonna be the guy that we can hang our pass rush on and log double digit sacks every year, but the secondary has been such a mess, it’s tough to give him a fair evaluation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here’s the thing to factor in with Clowney. Clowney has been incognito for most of the season until the Seahawks got Jarran Reed back from suspension. 

Clowney has been a plus run defender all year and he’s actually been getting pressure but there was no interior push to help him out. Jarran Reed finally showed out Monday night. 
 

I don’t know that Takk needs another blue chipper to bookend with him since we’ve got Grady (although it certainly wouldn’t help) so much as he needs better coverage on that back end. I’m still not sure he is gonna be the guy that we can hang our pass rush on and log double digit sacks every year, but the secondary has been such a mess, it’s tough to give him a fair evaluation.

I look for Takk just to put one other move he can hang his hat on consistently.Much like Clayborns cross chop I look for Takk to be one of those guys.Power Bullrush seems to be his go just add one more and I think he’ll be ok.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I look for Takk just to put one other move he can gang his hat consistently.Much like Clayborns cross chop I look for Takk to be one of those guys.Power Bullrush seems to be his go just add one more and I think he’ll be ok.

Absolutely.  He's gotta expand his repertoire... just a bit.  Michael Strahan used to say, you don't need a lot of moves, but you gotta have a counter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Here’s the thing to factor in with Clowney. Clowney has been incognito for most of the season until the Seahawks got Jarran Reed back from suspension. 

Clowney has been a plus run defender all year and he’s actually been getting pressure but there was no interior push to help him out. Jarran Reed finally showed out Monday night. 
 

I don’t know that Takk needs another blue chipper to bookend with him since we’ve got Grady (although it certainly wouldn’t help) so much as he needs better coverage on that back end. I’m still not sure he is gonna be the guy that we can hang our pass rush on and log double digit sacks every year, but the secondary has been such a mess, it’s tough to give him a fair evaluation.

Agreed, but imagine better secondary play and him and clowney as bookends in a 4-3. We would have a top 10 defense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Did the defense perform any stunts when DQ was running it? I seriously don't know.

They did, not a ton but we ran some games.  But like a most everything else, it always seemed disjointed. It kinda felt like we were out there flailing around trying to find anything that worked. We seemed to have a lot more cohesion Sunday.

Also the use of personnel. Quinn talked a lot in the preseason about different rush packages but I didn’t see a lot of it to start the season. Usually when Clay was on the field it would be Takk on the other side with Beasley off. Then most of the times I do remember Takk and Vic on the same side, it would be some sort of blitz look and one of them would drop.

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Agreed, but imagine better secondary play and him and clowney as bookends in a 4-3. We would have a top 10 defense. 

Hey no doubt. I would never talk myself out of another edge rusher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Absolutely nothing.  And that is one of the risks that you take running them, that's why you want to mix them up, and your alignments the same way you mix your coverages.  An offense gets a look at the same thing long enough, they'll come up with a counter.

Now in this case though, a lot of it is game planning.  You got a good idea of tendencies based on down and distance, and formation.  Plus in this particular stunt, you do hope/expect that the middle don't be wide open to be gashed from the loopers going inside.  There are certain stunts that you like to run specifically to stop certain runs -- especially if you don't have a huge defensive line but you have a quickness advantage.

see, I DO pay attention. and, I DO understand SOME things you say

 

:lol::lol::lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@PeytonMannings Forehead

One thing that I found interesting is the division of defensive coaching duties. It’s a quick excerpt but in his press conference, Quinn said having Morris and Ulbrich calling the defense has left him able to set the direction of the overall team but more specifically DQ has been working with the defensive line almost exclusively. 

So now you have DQ focusing solely on the d line, Ulbrich getting the linebackers in line, and Morris working the secondary. The three coaches are tight and I’m sure they come up with a direction and they work on getting specific things conveyed when It comes to plays and communication. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...