DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins

Maybe Quinn is like Tin Cup

24 posts in this topic

The movie Tin Cup is about a golfer played by Kevin Costner. His strength is he is a very good driver. There's a scene where he is in a tournament, and he badly needs the prize money. There's a hole where absolutely everyone goes around the water, but he's such a good driver he's determined to go directly over it.

He gets so fixated on it that, even after he fails the first time, he continues to take shot after shot from the tee box, trying to go over the water. Finally, he does it, but of course, by then, he completely killed any chance he had of winning the tournament.

I wonder if Quinn did something like that this year. He tinkered significantly with the defensive scheme. Maybe his creative mind just wouldn't let him let go of the changes he was trying to achieve, even though it kept costing us games. Maybe during the bye week he finally thought, "OK, let's put this aside and go back to a more typical scheme."

If so, he probably _was_ on to something with his scheme changes, but they clearly need more refinement. You can't use the actual season of an NFL team (especially one who might have a shot) as a lab to work out this kind of crap. If Quinn is like Tin Cup, he needs to be gone.

33 minutes ago, thamill said:

You just described my golf game.  I'm playing solid through nine holes and instead of playing safe with what I know works and finishing with a solid round, I get wild and essentially burn my scorecard on the back nine.

I've never used the word "Solid" to describe my golf game.  I affectionaly call my clubs, Weapons of Mass Destruction.     

However you want to slice it, the onset of this debacle of a season defense-wise is 100-percent on Dan Quinn. There are surely legit reasons why it took him until mid-season to relinquish the DC title and play-calling duties, but none of those reasons can justify the results of being 1-7 going into the Bye Week.

Tie that dogged determination to keep trotting out the worst defense in pro football, compound it with tying up $13 million on a mediocre-at-best Vic Beasley when money was desperately needed elsewhere, spending big money on so-so FA D Linemen Carpenter and Brown, you discover there are a lot of dumb moves that will probably cost Quinn his job by season's end.

So you're saying he should have just laid up to use golf terms?  I don't begrudge DQ for adding more stuff to the D and changing stuff up but I don't think it should take 6 weeks to figure out it ain't working.  I do hold him accountable for that and who knows if NO is the Washington game from last year...the best we saw from this team in 2018.

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

I've never used the word "Solid" to describe my golf game.  I affectionaly call my clubs, Weapons of Mass Destruction.     

Haha I know right.  It's the toughest sport out there for consistency.  If you shoot in the 70s you're really really good, but not good enough to be pro.  If you shoot in the 80s you're pretty dog gone good.  If you shoot in the 90s you're not too bad.  The majority of people though rarely break 100. 

I take lessons and hit balls three times a week (I live in San Diego so I can play year round) and get at least 9 holes in every week and still my best 18 holes ever was an 85.  I'm usually in the low 90s.  The amount of time and money I've put into this game is stupid for the results I've gotten...but I can't stop.   

The Great American likes this

42 minutes ago, thamill said:

Haha I know right.  It's the toughest sport out there for consistency.  If you shoot in the 70s you're really really good, but not good enough to be pro.  If you shoot in the 80s you're pretty dog gone good.  If you shoot in the 90s you're not too bad.  The majority of people though rarely break 100. 

I take lessons and hit balls three times a week (I live in San Diego so I can play year round) and get at least 9 holes in every week and still my best 18 holes ever was an 85.  I'm usually in the low 90s.  The amount of time and money I've put into this game is stupid for the results I've gotten...but I can't stop.   

My best round ever was a 79 but that was a few years ago when I played weekly.  I wouldn't sniff the 90s now.   

thamill and HouseofEuphoria like this

40 minutes ago, The Great American said:

My best round ever was a 79 but that was a few years ago when I played weekly.  I wouldn't sniff the 90s now.   

79 is really good!!

The Great American likes this

6 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

The movie Tin Cup is about a golfer played by Kevin Costner. His strength is he is a very good driver. There's a scene where he is in a tournament, and he badly needs the prize money. There's a hole where absolutely everyone goes around the water, but he's such a good driver he's determined to go directly over it.

He gets so fixated on it that, even after he fails the first time, he continues to take shot after shot from the tee box, trying to go over the water. Finally, he does it, but of course, by then, he completely killed any chance he had of winning the tournament.

I wonder if Quinn did something like that this year. He tinkered significantly with the defensive scheme. Maybe his creative mind just wouldn't let him let go of the changes he was trying to achieve, even though it kept costing us games. Maybe during the bye week he finally thought, "OK, let's put this aside and go back to a more typical scheme."

If so, he probably _was_ on to something with his scheme changes, but they clearly need more refinement. You can't use the actual season of an NFL team (especially one who might have a shot) as a lab to work out this kind of crap. If Quinn is like Tin Cup, he needs to be gone.

Nice metaphor. I see it that way. DQ obviously implemented some new 3-4 wrinkles into the defense in the offseason. It’s like he got too hyper focused on his plan being executed and didn’t recognize the difficulty the players were having with it. Communication is the first thing that fails when a squad struggles with complexities in scheme. Dan couldn’t see his nose for his face. And it took him way too long to see it. But I, for one, am glad he finally saw it. 

Sorry, but I really don’t see what Quinn does well. His scheme looked flawed for much of last year too, his teams have started slowly in the past, we’ve consistently been indisciplined and his play calling and game management are very poor. What exactly does he bring to the table?

The team bought in to the whole brotherhood concept in 2016 and that was a factor in our success that year, but that has long since disappeared. the whole idea behind the brotherhood, is that the “brothers” are supposed to play for each other and hold each other accountable - but we have no accountability. 

Man I HATE that movie...when I watched it one night on HBO like 20+ years ago I had just gone through a horrible breakup and Costner and Russo falling in love just pissed me off....hahaha.

But you do have a good point...every week it was the same thing with the same results...but this past game was lights out.

And Pantera/Metal Trump is ****** hilarious.

6 hours ago, thamill said:

It’s an addictive game. I got into it in high school. Our school started a golf team and didn’t enough volunteers so the coach came to the football team locker room and said you, you, you and you are on the golf team. Been playing ever since. Not worth a dam but do have a hole in one under my belt.

Tin Cup lmao. He ain't worth a pot to pisssss in. My best one time score 68. Mostly 70's now. Good golf movie. My fav is Legend of Bagger Vance!

12 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It’s an addictive game. I got into it in high school. Our school started a golf team and didn’t enough volunteers so the coach came to the football team locker room and said you, you, you and you are on the golf team. Been playing ever since. Not worth a dam but do have a hole in one under my belt.

Nice!! A HIO is huge!! I hope you kept the ball. 

I started playing about 6 years ago.  I have my oldest son playing now as well and he enjoys it.  He wants to make his HS golf team.  Rumor has it, getting a college scholarship for golf is pretty attainable. 

PokerSteve likes this

23 hours ago, thamill said:

You just described my golf game.  I'm playing solid through nine holes and instead of playing safe with what I know works and finishing with a solid round, I get wild and essentially burn my scorecard on the back nine.

I shot a 59 one time. It was a 9-hole putt-putt course though, so not sure if that counts. :lol::tiphat:

thamill likes this

14 hours ago, Chaz said:

Tin Cup lmao. He ain't worth a pot to pisssss in. My best one time score 68. Mostly 70's now. Good golf movie. My fav is Legend of Bagger Vance!

I could have killed you no no sir I just kept walking straight in front of you and the balls seem to be going either side of me lol.

Chaz likes this

6 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I shot a 59 one time. It was a 9-hole putt-putt course though, so not sure if that counts. :lol::tiphat:

Happy Gilmore!! in the flesh.

PokerSteve likes this