lostnmexico

Vernon Hargreaves cut by Tampa......we need to seriously take a flyer on the V!

60 posts in this topic

Buccaneers cut former first-round pick Vernon Hargreaves after corner admits to lack of hustle

Drafted 11th overall in 2016, Hargreaves played just one full season with Tampa Bay

As first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter and since confirmed by the team, the Bucs have waived the 24-year-old cornerback, parting ways with the 11th overall selection of the 2016 draft days after he admitted to a lack of hustle during Tampa Bay's 30-27 win over the Arizona Cardinals in Week 10.

Billed as one of the top corner prospects of his class coming out of Florida, Hargreaves started all 16 games as a rookie, logging a career-best 76 tackles to go along with two turnovers. Since then, however, he's been dogged by injuries and inconsistency, missing just about half his sophomore season with a hamstring issue and all but one game in 2018 thanks to a shoulder problem. Early this offseason, new Bucs coach Bruce Arians held him out of practice because he believed the corner was not prepared, as NFL Network noted, and then reprimanded Hargreaves again this week, benching him in the third quarter of the Arizona game and telling reporters it didn't look like he hustled to make a tackle.

Hargreaves didn't refute Arians' claim, per NFL.com, saying after the game "there's no arguing it" and promising more hustle, as well as a meeting with Arians to straighten things out. Evidently, things weren't straightened out.

Because he was waived, Hargreaves will be subjected to the waiver process, meaning the other 31 NFL teams will have an opportunity to claim him before he hits the open market. While he's only 24 and carries a big name, the fourth-year defensive back also boasts a 2020 salary of $9.954 million thanks to Tampa Bay exercising his fifth-year option prior to the season. The Bucs, meanwhile, figure to rely even more heavily on their 2019 reinforcements at corner, where they spent two early-round draft picks this past April.

I wouldn't mind looking! But with injuries and lack of effort.. I dont think it's a good fit especially with head coaching change still in the air! If anything we can ask his former head coach about him. 

I might have until I saw that salary. Naw I'll roll with Sheffield, Miller, and Bli maybe pick a CB in the draft unless there is a way for that salary to come down.

KCFalcon22 and Rings like this

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

I might have until I saw that salary. Naw I'll roll with Sheffield, Miller, and Bli maybe pick a CB in the draft unless there is a way for that salary to come down.

Hargreaves is a **** good corner......get him out of Tampa and into the ATL and you will see a shutdown corner!

38 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

No thanks! The Gators corners are usually overrated.

Tell me about it bro. I like the FS and SS they produce. My question is can he play FS in our scheme. He is 5'10 195-200lbs.

atlbaby and KCFalcon22 like this

41 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Why exactly would Tampa pick up his 5th year option if he has been so Jeckyll & Hyde?

I think waiving him rescinds the option.  Could be wrong, though.  My bet is if you sign him, he comes cheap

KCFalcon22 likes this

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Why exactly would Tampa pick up his 5th year option if he has been so Jeckyll & Hyde?

I think waiving him rescinds the option.  Could be wrong, though.  My bet is if you sign him, he comes cheap

Nah if he’s on the team at the start of the league year the salary is guaranteed. 

Schwarzwald likes this

1 minute ago, Cole World said:

Nah if he’s on the team at the start of the league year the salary is guaranteed. 

But he has been waived so the option has been rescinded, right?  Assuming a team picks him up

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

But he has been waived so the option has been rescinded, right?  Assuming a team picks him up

If a team claims him they (the claiming team) will be on the hook for his remaining salary, otherwise it’s dead money for TB.

12 minutes ago, lju713 said:

Tell me about it bro. I like the FS and SS they produce. My question is can he play FS in our scheme. He is 5'10 195-200lbs.

I like the move to Safety yes.  But you can't say Florida doesn't put DBs in the NFL (maybe bc i'm a Gator fan i'm biased).  Georgia sure ain't putting a lot of talent out at that position.  

54 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Even as a Florida fan, I agree 100% with you.  No way with that 9 mil on the table for next year.

59 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

Not saying I want him but if he was released why would anyone have to take on his remaining salary from his rookie deal? Is that in the CBA or something?

Nevermind, saw it at the bottom. Article title reads cut but article confirms waived

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I’d be for signing him because, as you pointed out, he’d be cheap and young enough to evaluate ...that said, one of the knocks on him coming out of college was his lack of long speed and length. Some forecast him as a safety in NFL

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

As a guy who's followed the Bucs and Hargreaves for a few years, I can't understand why you'd want to weaken your secondary further.

Ouch.

Schwarzwald likes this