Ulbrich and Morris called Defensive Plays

Goober Pyle

• Goober Pyle changed the title to Ulbrich and Morris called Defensive Plays

There was someone, I don't know if it was in game or somewhere else, who said that Quinn's issue might be that he isn't seeing the whole field as DC/playcaller while standing on the sidelines and that might be an issue. I know the other two are there but they can be more hyper focused on players and plays where Quinn has a lot more to deal with.

30 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Wow! Ulbrich called 1st and 2nd downs, Morris called 3rd downs and two minute defense...

Edit: put Wyche's original tweet in the post to see if it would play without taking you to Twitter...

Thanks for sharing ---- I've been wondering how the defensive play calls were dispersed.  Hope they keep this arrangement intact, because it sure did work in this game!!! 

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

On another note, so it appears that it wasn’t Ulbrich calling that drive at the end of the first half where the Saints twice drove it into field goal range?

I knew it felt different.

What's your take on how defensive playcalling could be so drastically different between DQ and Ulbrich/Morris with the exact same personnel. I feel like the variety of calls are way less than an offense comparatively. I mean of course you can't just call 3-4 with 4-3 guys and expect success, but within our scheme's formations and playbook how did DQ's calls possibly go so amazingly worse than yesterday?

Or was Raheem's tweaking of secondary technique that effective?

2 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

What's your take on how defensive playcalling could be so drastically different between DQ and Ulbrich/Morris with the exact same personnel. I feel like the variety of calls are way less than an offense comparatively. I mean of course you can't just call 3-4 with 4-3 guys and expect success, but within our scheme's formations and playbook how did DQ's calls possibly go so amazingly worse than yesterday?

Or was Raheem's tweaking of secondary technique that effective?

Lot of it was the little nuances. Raheems contribution tweaking the technique and communication over the bye can’t be overstated.

DQ’s play calls always felt a step behind to me. He’d have is in zone when we should have been in man. We’d play man when the offense was calling man beaters. We’d blitz at the wrong times, exposing the secondary. We’d sit back when we should have pressured.

There was overall more flow to the defense yesterday. Everything was on time.

We disguised coverages a lot better. We pressed our corners more whereas we’d been playing them off. Even when we were in zone we pressed the corners and it looked exactly like cover-1 presnap.

When we did blitz, there were better disguised. We used to tip our hand badly. You could see most of our pressures coming a mile away.

And finally, the fronts we used. Quinn had for some reason gone almost exclusively to this odd / diamond front. And it wasn’t working. We had guys up there tying to two gap every down when we’re built to penetrate. We had Takk and Vic playing from a two point stance and both of them taking turns playing drop linebacker when that’s neither or their strengths,

Yesterday we saw a return to those more 4 man, penetrating fronts and it made a world of difference.

So id compare the two just offhand, Ulbrich better utilized our personnel to their strengths and the mixture of playcalling was just plain better. We didn’t look like we were trying to do too much back there. It was straight close the middle of the field and get in their face.