Vandy

Hey Tanker Boys

172 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The only way the Falcons make the playoffs is if they win the division at 9-7, that would mean sweeping the Saints and having them finish 9-7 or worse. The saving grace in that scenario is that the Saints have a tough remaining schedule.

• at Buccaneers
  • vs. Panthers
  • at Falcons
  • vs. 49ers
  • vs. Colts
  • at Titans
  • at Panthers

That's not a cake walk for the Saints. Buccaneers always play the Saints tough and the Saints haven't swept the Bucs in a season since 2014. If that trend holds true the Saints will lose next week to the Bucs. Then they've got the division games against the Panthers. Saints recent history against the Panthers is better so it's highly unlikely they lose both of those games. I think they'll split. Overall, none of this means a hill of beans if the Falcons don't take care of their business.

Sucs took Seattle to OT. I wouldn't count on them for much, but when Winston manages not to be a complete bum, they can be a handful.

17 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Draft position is overrated because this isn't the NBA and there are more than 1 or 2 franchise type players picked every year all over the draft board. 

Case in point Julio Jones was picked 6th... yet he is arguably the best player in that entire draft. Mahomes the MVP last year was drafted 31st. Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th, Russel Wilson 75th.  Patriots, Pittsburgh, Ravens haven't had a top 5 pick in decades and build contenders every year. 

If draft position was overrated there’d be no need for trades on draft day.

It’s not the position that’s overrated.  The position gets you the opportunity to pick the guy you want before others.  

17 hours ago, Spts1 said:

whoa...saying that you would take a win over the saints over a number one draft pick is like saying you would take a win over the saints vs having Matt Ryan or Julio Jones.  It takes THAT KIND of player to get that win you are talking about.

Second, you said wins don't carry over and morons carry that notion.  The FIRST Superbowl the Falcons went to back in 1998 was a DIRECT result of the second half momentum that they got under Dan Reeves from the 1997 season . EVERY player and coach from that team would tell that same exact thing.  Do you even have a grasp of what GIVES a team momentum?

" But a team that won six of its last eight in 1997, after starting 1-7, picked up from there this season. "

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/look-back-the-falcons-super-season-1998/ep4lyWluOpWEXnpWTNeLDL/#

Thats called Confirmation Bias. You have 1 result that you believe supports your theory. Im willing to bet that I can find numerous teams over the years that won their last 2 or 3 and went on to the following season with negative results.

These days, coaching changes, free agency, trades and drafts can turn over a roster as much as 30% percent. Heck our coaching staff alone went through MASSIVE changes.  To think that wins carry over some momentum after 8 months of not playing, with many new players who weren't even around, and coaching changes is moronic. Im literally laughing at how stupid that is.

" I know many of you guys werent here last year and the coaches that coached OFF, Def and SP aren't here and injured players who didnt play last year are now playing and the players who played for the injured players are either now 2nd string or no longer here, but those couple of wins EIGHT months ago mean we will win now!"  Believing in that tells me a lot about you and the people that liked your post.

g-dawg and Mr. Captain Falcon like this

17 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Thats called Confirmation Bias. You have 1 result that you believe supports your theory. Im willing to bet that I can find numerous teams over the years that won their last 2 or 3 and went on to the following season with negative results.

These days, coaching changes, free agency, trades and drafts can turn over a roster as much as 30% percent. Heck our coaching staff alone went through MASSIVE changes.  To think that wins carry over some momentum after 8 months of not playing, with many new players who weren't even around, and coaching changes is moronic. Im literally laughing at how stupid that is.

" I know many of you guys werent here last year and the coaches that coached OFF, Def and SP aren't here and injured players who didnt play last year are now playing and the players who played for the injured players are either now 2nd string or no longer here, but those couple of wins EIGHT months ago mean we will win now!"  Believing in that tells me a lot about you and the people that liked your post.

Yeah there is no carryover from year to year - players get better/worse, new rookies/free agents come in - other team vets leave/retire.  Like you said, 30% roster turnover isn’t rare.  Every team/year is an entity unto itself.  Chemistry also can be a delicate thing.

Whether Falcons finish season 4-2,  2-4 or 0-6 won’t have much effect on the 2020 version of the Atlanta Falcons.

vel likes this

1 hour ago, KRUNKuno said:

If draft position was overrated there’d be no need for trades on draft day.

It’s not the position that’s overrated.  The position gets you the opportunity to pick the guy you want before others.  

It also gives you more value if you want to trade back and collect more picks and gives you better position in EACH rd and not just the 1st.

Some of these people are just being silly and refuse to deal with the fact the season is already over and the best interest of the team is to have better draft picks.

Does anyone REALLY think another year of 7-9, middling picks and Quinn and TD coming back is a good outcome to this season?

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

49 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Yea like our very own actual TEAM this season. If they want a great example of how meaningless it is to win the last few games of the year with no chance at the playoffs and drop your draft status look no further then this very team right now.

It was 1 game ,and it was a division rival they've played for over 50 years.They dont like each other,and DQ wasnt calling the Defense.He and the front office still need to be gone at the end of the regular season,even if they win the rest of their games.

roguebeaver and MAD597 like this

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

It also gives you more value if you want to trade back and collect more picks and gives you better position in EACH rd and not just the 1st.

Some of these people are just being silly and refuse to deal with the fact the season is already over and the best interest of the team is to have better draft picks.

Does anyone REALLY think another year of 7-9, middling picks and Quinn and TD coming back is a good outcome to this season?

Remove Quinn and this team takes off. Simple as that. We are already loaded with high draft picks up and down this roster. Of course adding Chase Young and having him stay healthy and reach his potential is huge, but it's not the only path to success for the team. Green Bay had back to back 6 and 7 win seasons, didn't need to add a top 5 pick to become a championship contender.

Skott Lee likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

@Vandy You know I'm not a tanker and I'll take all the wins I can get, but I just looked at the playoff machine and the Falcons have a nearly impossible road to the playoffs even if they win out to finish 9-7. ****, in this scenario that I came up with I've got two 10-win teams (Chargers, Cowboys) sitting at home come January.

https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/CustomLeague/SchedulePicker/0E700630-E7FC-43DB-92EA-9E71507C57C9/?L=EwRmoyxHxtS0Yp9YOuZIDM85aERLEbRkqZRbm2WnonYIoG1r4caEXuuVduPVA3744jZGwAMs6UA&c=cgm:1|tnptlw:true

I hear you, 567. To be clear, I carry no illusions of a playoff berth this year. With this coaching staff, I still see a 4-5 maybe 6 win season. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

I would just like someone on here in favor of tanking to assume that you are the Owner/GM/Head Coach and you are strategizing “The Tank Job” for the rest of the year. Please tell me:

1. What is the strategy in regard to game preparation and in game coaching

2. How do you get your players on board with this?

3. How do you sell this to the fans that pay hundreds of dollars to see a game and want to see a quality product?

56 minutes ago, falconfan5832 said:

It was 1 game ,and it was a division rival they've played for over 50 years.They dont like each other,and DQ wasnt calling the Defense.He and the front office still need to be gone at the end of the regular season,even if they win the rest of their games.

If they win the rest of their games it means we are playing fantastic football, which means that the issue the first half was Quinn and not the talent. Only person that absolutely must be gone is Quinn. Every time he "coaches" he effs up. The only thing he has had success with is delegating... we can find anyone else to do that. 

4 hours ago, runshoot said:

When coaches take over a program, usually it takes them a year or two to get the PROCESS to come together. You can call that PROCESS momentum.  Matt Ryan performed better in year TWO under Shanahan because in year ONE he was learning the system and carried the MOMENTUM from that PROCESS into year two.  Every team is built on processes that either gain traction ( momentum) or they don't.  The off season is used to further help gain momentum by putting in work to better understand what has been worked on during the previous season.  

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I hear you, 567. To be clear, I carry no illusions of a playoff berth this year. With this coaching staff, I still see a 4-5 maybe 6 win season. 

The Falcons have set so many dubious records over the years why not have a miracle happen and them set the record for being the first 1-7 team to make the playoffs? I'll take it!! Just get little magical help from the Saints and the defense is ripe for the taking!!

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Falcons have set so many dubious records over the years why not have a miracle happen and them set the record for being the first 1-7 team to make the playoffs? I'll take it!! Just get little magical help from the Saints and the defense is ripe for the taking!!

The Falcons problem is the hole they dug is soo deep that they could sweep the division and still not make the playoffs...

vel and Vandy like this

35 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think most people would love to see this happen.  I know I would, but I think the hole dug is just too big.

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I think most people would love to see this happen.  I know I would, but I think the hole dug is just too big.

Like I mentioned, it would take a miracle and their only hope is to take the division. There's honestly no hope for a WC spot. Thankfully the Saints schedule is tough the rest of the way. But even still, Falcons chances of making the playoffs are like 0.0000000000001%.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

On 11/10/2019 at 9:22 PM, Vandy said:

Come out, come out from wherever you are!!!

All the clamoring for us to tank for Chase Young....Well, Birds won on road against Aints...Dolphins won on road again as well. Jets won landfill bowl over Giants....

L.O.L.

@Vandy   Thanx a lot.  Your meaningless wins have cost the Falcons a premium draft pick...:(

Edited by Spts1
Vandy and Osiruz like this

10 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

@Vandy   Thanx a lot.  Your meaningless wins have cost the Falcons a premium draft pick...:(

Yep this team will be in perpetual mediocrity at this point.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:22 PM, Vandy said:

Come out, come out from wherever you are!!!

All the clamoring for us to tank for Chase Young....Well, Birds won on road against Aints...Dolphins won on road again as well. Jets won landfill bowl over Giants....

L.O.L.

Iight, 

How you feelin now that Dunce Quinn blew another season with his stupid face? 

Spts1 likes this

23 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yep this team will be in perpetual mediocrity at this point.

This team forever mentally gimped. Hope we can get some good tough football players.