Vandy

Hey Tanker Boys

172 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL

He has a point and all you can reply with is LOL because you know he is right. Go ahead and admit it now. 

19 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Eh, draft position is overrated. If draft position was the end all of becoming a good team why are the Browns and Jaguars perennial last-place teams? Lamar Jackson was drafted 31st, Pat Mahomes was drafted 10th. The list of top 5 draft busts is enormous. over half don't meet their hype. 

Draft position is overrated if you don't have a grasp on what you are doing...

KRUNKuno and Vandy like this

4 hours ago, runshoot said:

Ill take a win over the Saints more than any #1 draft pick.

Also, people who think wins from previous season "carry momentum" in to the next season are morons of the worst kind.

whoa...saying that you would take a win over the saints over a number one draft pick is like saying you would take a win over the saints vs having Matt Ryan or Julio Jones.  It takes THAT KIND of player to get that win you are talking about.

Second, you said wins don't carry over and morons carry that notion.  The FIRST Superbowl the Falcons went to back in 1998 was a DIRECT result of the second half momentum that they got under Dan Reeves from the 1997 season . EVERY player and coach from that team would tell that same exact thing.  Do you even have a grasp of what GIVES a team momentum?

" But a team that won six of its last eight in 1997, after starting 1-7, picked up from there this season. "

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/look-back-the-falcons-super-season-1998/ep4lyWluOpWEXnpWTNeLDL/#

Edited by Spts1
Vandy and Butudontseeme™ like this

you definitely want to win these types of games. because fukc the Saints! there was no point to us winning those last 3 meaningless matchups last year though I expect we do more of the same stupid **** this year after the Saints hit 10 wins and we are mathematically out. For now we still have a slim chance.

MAD597 likes this

On 11/10/2019 at 9:28 PM, XXVIII-III said:

Coulda been in a great spot to battle for 1st place...

You are not seriously saying that the win against New Orleans - 6 sacks on Brees and breaking his streak of 2 digit scoring at home was anything but the best thing they did all year.

Seriously?

Vandy, Romfal and Schwarzwald like this

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Draft position is overrated if you don't have a grasp on what you are doing...

Draft position is overrated because this isn't the NBA and there are more than 1 or 2 franchise type players picked every year all over the draft board. 

Case in point Julio Jones was picked 6th... yet he is arguably the best player in that entire draft. Mahomes the MVP last year was drafted 31st. Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th, Russel Wilson 75th.  Patriots, Pittsburgh, Ravens haven't had a top 5 pick in decades and build contenders every year. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

4 hours ago, joeyg2033 said:

Dude, what is your point? You are cheering for a mediocre team at best. Unless we end up at the bottom to secure a pick that is TRULY IMPACTFUL, then it will be considered a failure. 

Old QB... Washed up running back... JJ, whose remaining talent is being squandered... A defense that is putrid... A front office who can't deliver talent when given the chance... Is this what you're cheering? I'd rather be cheering for Tua. I'd rather be cheering for Joe Burrow. I'd rather be cheering for Chase Young... They are transformational talents. Go ahead and cheer for 8-8. Where does that get you exactly? It gets you where you currently are... 

What was our record the year before we made it to the superbowl?

Vandy and Schwarzwald like this

1 hour ago, Dr Long Shot said:

What was our record the year before we made it to the superbowl?

Ryan was 29.  JJ was 25. Freeman was 22... What's your point? Were those players closer to their prime then, or now?  Something to think about... 

58 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Ryan was 29.  JJ was 25. Freeman was 22... What's your point? Were those players closer to their prime then, or now?  Something to think about... 

And Ryan at 34 and Julio at 30 are playing better now than they did at 29 and 25....

So, what’s your point, “dude”?

Schwarzwald likes this

36 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Good deflection. To answer my own question, we were 8-8 one year before making the Superbowl. We didn't have a center, we had no pass rushers, no linebackers, we didn't have a #2 receiver, no good tight ends, and somehow miraculously we made the super bowl the following season without a top 5 pick, and without adding a transformational once in a generation player. Ryan and JJ are slipping? Ok, if you say so. they are both putting up the same type of numbers they were putting up in 2015-2016.  Freeman? Shucks, yea it sucks he isn't in his prime and is done now. Maybe we can replace him with another 4th round pick, which is where we drafted him. 

New Orleans finished  7-9 four out of five seasons back in 2016. Drew Brees was 36 at the time, 6 years removed from a Superbowl trip. So many fans wanted to blow that team-up. They are headed to back to back 13 win seasons now. Number of top five picks on their roster atm? 0. 

We need competent coaching soooo much more than a top pick. The last game should have pretty much made that obvious. Would I like a top pick, sure that would be great... It guarantees nothing though, not even a better player in the first round. And even if we do get an amazing player with our top 5 picks this isn't the NBA, it takes a lot more than one player to turn a team around. Chase Young sure does look like a monster.... so did Clowney coming out. Clowney no longer plays for the team that drafted him btw, they achieved absolutely nothing while he played for them. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

And Ryan at 34 and Julio at 30 are playing better now than they did at 29 and 25....

The point my friend is that the best years of the key people on this team are behind them.  Either your too dumb or refuse to realize it.  It is time for a new era.  The 28-3 era must end, and it starts with the drafting of our next franchise QB who can truly deliver a championship to this embarrassing franchise.

5 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Good deflection. To answer my own question, we were 8-8 one year before making the Superbowl. We didn't have a center, we had no pass rushers, no linebackers, we didn't have a #2 receiver, no good tight ends, and somehow miraculously we made the super bowl the following season without a top 5 pick, and without adding a transformational once in a generation player. Ryan and JJ are slipping? Ok, if you say so. they are both putting up the same type of numbers they were putting up in 2015-2016.  Freeman? Shucks, yea it sucks he isn't in his prime and is done now. Maybe we can replace him with another 4th round pick, which is where we drafted him. 

New Orleans finished  7-9 four out of five seasons back in 2016. Drew Brees was 36 at the time, 6 years removed from a Superbowl trip. So many fans wanted to blow that team-up. They are headed to back to back 13 win seasons now. Number of top five picks on their roster atm? 0. 

We need competent coaching soooo much more than a top pick. The last game should have pretty much made that obvious. Would I like a top pick, sure that would be great... It guarantees nothing though, not even a better player in the first round. And even if we do get an amazing player with our top 5 picks this isn't the NBA, it takes a lot more than one player to turn a team around. Chase Young sure does look like a monster.... so did Clowney coming out. Clowney no longer plays for the team that drafted him btw, they achieved absolutely nothing while he played for them. 

I agree with most, if not all of what you said.  You said we were bereft of key position players prior to our year in the SB, but somehow miraculously we mad it.  Key word "miraculously"...  How many times do you expect lightning to strike when key players are approaching the wrong side of their prime...granted they're having good years.  It is not a long term solution. I think drafting a franchise QB is the first step of purging this team from the most ignominious loss in all of sportsdom. Time to turn the page. Breathe new life into this franchise.  Get great coaching.  Add quality players.  Win a SB...

41 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

The point my friend is that the best years of the key people on this team are behind them.  Either your too dumb or refuse to realize it.  It is time for a new era.  The 28-3 era must end, and it starts with the drafting of our next franchise QB who can truly deliver a championship to this embarrassing franchise.

Oh my,

So joey boy doesn’t want to tank for chase young, no sir, this Tanker Boy wants to tank for a new QB......

May I ask which QB are you Wanting this “embarrassing franchise“ to be tanking for, Joey boy? How does this all play out in your little brain? 

31 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

I agree with most, if not all of what you said.  You said we were bereft of key position players prior to our year in the SB, but somehow miraculously we mad it.  Key word "miraculously"...  How many times do you expect lightning to strike when key players are approaching the wrong side of their prime...granted they're having good years.  It is not a long term solution. I think drafting a franchise QB is the first step of purging this team from the most ignominious loss in all of sportsdom. Time to turn the page. Breathe new life into this franchise.  Get great coaching.  Add quality players.  Win a SB...

Yup, Minnesota also miraculously rebounded from a 7-9 season. New Orleans from four 7-9 seasons. Green Bay from back to back 7-9 season. It's amazing how often these miracles happen in the NFL. Relying on solid all around drafting, good coaching, and key moderate free agent signings is voodo, winning the lottery type of stuff. It's incredible how dumb succesful franchises are by going this route, I mean good thing they always get lucky.

We shouldn't be dumb. We should go for the sure fire strategy of blowing it up, tanking for a top pick and drafting a franchise QB top 5. It is SOOO easy to hit on a franchise QB. Out of the last 15 QBs taken in the top five the last 11 years, a huge fat number of 1 has been comparable to Ryan in any shape way or form (Stafford). Let's be generous and add Wentz and Murray to the list though they have not yet shown to be able to play at Matt Ryan's level for any prolonged period of time. That's a whole fat juicy number of 3 out of the last 15 QBs picked that would, perhaps, improve our QB situation. Of course whoever we draft would probably need a couple of seasons to hit his stride so hopefully by the time the rookie that has a 20% chance (at best) at being superior (ish?) to Ryan begins to learn to play NFL football Julio, who would be around 33 and who we cannot trade or cut,  will still be at an all-pro level. 

Edited by Dr Long Shot

8 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yup, Minnesota also miraculously rebounded from a 7-9 season. New Orleans from four 7-9 seasons. Green Bay from back to back 7-9 season. It's amazing how often these miracles happen in the NFL. Relying on solid all around drafting, good coaching, and key moderate free agent signings is voodo, winning the lottery type of stuff. It's incredible how dumb succesful franchises are by going this route, I mean good thing they always get lucky.

We shouldn't be dumb. We should go for the sure fire strategy of blowing it up, tanking for a top pick and drafting a franchise QB top 5. It is SOOO easy to hit on a franchise QB. Out of the last 15 QBs taken in the top five the last 11 years, a huge fat number of 1 has been comparable to Ryan in any shape way or form (Stafford). Let's be generous and add Wentz and Murray to the list though they have not yet shown to be able to play at Matt Ryan's level for any prolonged period of time. That's a whole fat juicy number of 3 out of the last 15 QBs picked that would, perhaps, improve our QB situation. Of course whoever we draft would probably need a couple of seasons to hit his stride so hopefully by the time the rookie that has a 20% chance (at best) at being superior (ish?) to Ryan begins to learn to play NFL football Julio, who would be around 33 and who we cannot trade or cut,  will still be an all-pro level. 

Ryan is 34. He is not 24... 28... or even 31 for that matter.  A guy who can't bring home a SB after being up 28-3 is not a winner.  We can disagree on that.  Wonder if Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady, or even Eli Manning would have collapsed like a cheap suit in that game.  Ryan could not even will the team to win. I know he had a great QB rating in the game... but the issue is the intangible of not allowing his team to lose. All I remember is his face on the sidelines, with a look of just waiting to lose.  A look like he just got kicked in the stomach. Not sure if you could say that about the aforementioned...  My opinion anyway...

Just now, joeyg2033 said:

Ryan is 34. He is not 24... 28... or even 31 for that matter.  A guy who can't bring home a SB after being up 28-3 is not a winner.  We can disagree on that.  Wonder if Brees, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady, or even Eli Manning would have collapsed like a cheap suit in that game.  Ryan could not even will the team to win. I know he had a great QB rating in the game... but the issue is the intangible of not allowing his team to lose. All I remember is his face on the sidelines, with a look of just waiting to lose.  A look like he just got kicked in the stomach. Not sure if you could say that about the aforementioned...  My opinion anyway...

Dully noted. Didn't look defeated to me when he made one of the greatest throws (greatest throw?) in franchise history to Julio to set up the game winning FG that Dan Quinn, the worst game manager in the history of sports who was also making the calls on the defense that allowed 31 points in a little over a quarter, decided we shouldn't take.

But yea I feel you. I mean I'm sure Tom Brady could overcome a defense giving up 31 points in the 4th quarter, and the complete lack of game management awareness from his head coach. I mean he has absolutely never been in that situation ever in his career, but we can assume for sure, 100% that he would make zero mistakes, none, ninguno, and play and absolutely flawless perfect game that would lead to victory. Same for Breese, and Manning. Certainly the rookie we draft who will defy all mathematical odds to become the second hall of fame QB to wear a Falcons jersey will be able to overcome that type of defense, and awful coaching by playing the best game in NFL superbowl history if he ever is put in that situation. It's almost a complete given really.   

Schwarzwald likes this

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

These insecure posters gonna keep their head in the sand on reality in more ways than one.

Falconsfan567 and Vandy like this

8 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Draft position is overrated because this isn't the NBA and there are more than 1 or 2 franchise type players picked every year all over the draft board. 

Case in point Julio Jones was picked 6th... yet he is arguably the best player in that entire draft. Mahomes the MVP last year was drafted 31st. Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th, Russel Wilson 75th.  Patriots, Pittsburgh, Ravens haven't had a top 5 pick in decades and build contenders every year. 

Draft position is not overrated, good players being picked late does not mean that draft position isn't extremely valuable.

And 6th overall is still a ridiculously high of a draft pick. We had to trade and mortgage our future for Julio in order to pick him, that's how valuable that pick was.

vitaman likes this

A plan that would eliminate tanking (if it really exists). You may think it’s unfair but it’s creative. It would seek to not only prevent tanking but would improve the product on the field on game day. It involves the draft. The first round only. 

The teams that make the playoffs will continue to draft in the 21-32 slots in reverse order of record. 

The bottom end of the league standings would pick in the 9-20 slots. 

The 1-8 slots would be comprised of those teams who were competitive to the point of challenging for playoff spots but just missed out. The order would be determined by a lottery similar to what the NBA does. 

So in list form the draft order is:

1-8 Lottery among mid-level teams with the (13th-20th best record)

9-20 Worst record in order (21st-32nd best record)

21-32 Best records in reverse order (as is now- playoff teams)

The idea is to promote an attitude of something for these perennially bad franchises to play for even as the season winds down. It would also provide for a highly charged playoff push. And it would eliminate the perennially bad teams from being lazy thinking they can rely on a top draft pick to add to their coffers. Teams now know they have to me mildly competitive to receive a high draft pick.  And the best a crappy team will get is the 9th pick in the draft. So is tanking for a 9th pick better than pushing to have the  20th best record for a shot at the #1 pick in a lottery?

Imagine a team (Falcons?) late in the year that has a 2-7 record with 7 games to play. They are tied for the 3rd worst record which would give them the 11th pick as of that day. They could tank to go to 2-14 and get no better than the 9th pick. OR, they could figure something out in the bye week and make a push to go, say, 7-9 and snag one of those lottery picks for a chance at no worse than a #8 pick and as high as the #1 pick. Now there’s something to play for, games will be competitive and the fan base is engaged. Of course this is where the Falcons would be under this system. And the teams that make a playoff push and just missed will be rewarded as well. Win-win for everyone except for teams like the Browns who will fail under any system. 

As it stands now, in this system the draft order would be:

1-8 Jacksonville 4-5

1-8 Chicago 4-5

1-8 Tennessee 5-5

1-8 Dallas 5-4

1-8 Philadelphia 5-4

1-8 LA Rams 5-4

1-8 Panthers 5-4

1-8 Raiders/Steelers/Colts 5-4

9.  Cincinnati 0-8 

10. Washington 1-8

11. NY Jets 2-7

11. Miami 2-7

11.  Falcons 2-7

14. Giants 2-8

15. Lions 3-5-1

16. Tampa 3-6

16. Denver 3-6

16. Cleveland 3-6

19. Arizona 3-6-1

20. LA Chargers 4-6

21-32 Playoff teams 

So the Falcons at 2-7 only have to catch a 4-5 to get a top 8 pick with a lottery shot at #1.

@Vandy You know I'm not a tanker and I'll take all the wins I can get, but I just looked at the playoff machine and the Falcons have a nearly impossible road to the playoffs even if they win out to finish 9-7. ****, in this scenario that I came up with I've got two 10-win teams (Chargers, Cowboys) sitting at home come January.

https://playoffpredictors.com/Football/CustomLeague/SchedulePicker/0E700630-E7FC-43DB-92EA-9E71507C57C9/?L=EwRmoyxHxtS0Yp9YOuZIDM85aERLEbRkqZRbm2WnonYIoG1r4caEXuuVduPVA3744jZGwAMs6UA&c=cgm:1|tnptlw:true

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, Skott Lee said:

A plan that would eliminate tanking (if it really exists). You may think it’s unfair but it’s creative. It would seek to not only prevent tanking but would improve the product on the field on game day. It involves the draft. The first round only. 

The teams that make the playoffs will continue to draft in the 21-32 slots in reverse order of record. 

The bottom end of the league standings would pick in the 9-20 slots. 

The 1-8 slots would be comprised of those teams who were competitive to the point of challenging for playoff spots but just missed out. The order would be determined by a lottery similar to what the NBA does. 

So in list form the draft order is:

1-8 Lottery among mid-level teams with the (13th-20th best record)

9-20 Worst record in order (21st-32nd best record)

21-32 Best records in reverse order (as is now- playoff teams)

The idea is to promote an attitude of something for these perennially bad franchises to play for even as the season winds down. It would also provide for a highly charged playoff push. And it would eliminate the perennially bad teams from being lazy thinking they can rely on a top draft pick to add to their coffers. Teams now know they have to me mildly competitive to receive a high draft pick.  And the best a crappy team will get is the 9th pick in the draft. So is tanking for a 9th pick better than pushing to have the  20th best record for a shot at the #1 pick in a lottery?

Imagine a team (Falcons?) late in the year that has a 2-7 record with 7 games to play. They are tied for the 3rd worst record which would give them the 11th pick as of that day. They could tank to go to 2-14 and get no better than the 9th pick. OR, they could figure something out in the bye week and make a push to go, say, 7-9 and snag one of those lottery picks for a chance at no worse than a #8 pick and as high as the #1 pick. Now there’s something to play for, games will be competitive and the fan base is engaged. Of course this is where the Falcons would be under this system. And the teams that make a playoff push and just missed will be rewarded as well. Win-win for everyone except for teams like the Browns who will fail under any system. 

This would be an interesting idea, I'd support it. But as of right now having another 7-9 year and maybe having our coaches and front office save their jobs is probably the worst long term outcome possible for the Falcons.

I'd rather go 3-13 this year and beat rh Saints twice and fir TD and clean out the coaching staff besides Ulbirch.

The only way the Falcons make the playoffs is if they win the division at 9-7, that would mean sweeping the Saints and having them finish 9-7 or worse. The saving grace in that scenario is that the Saints have a tough remaining schedule.

• at Buccaneers
  • vs. Panthers
  • at Falcons
  • vs. 49ers
  • vs. Colts
  • at Titans
  • at Panthers

That's not a cake walk for the Saints. Buccaneers always play the Saints tough and the Saints haven't swept the Bucs in a season since 2014. If that trend holds true the Saints will lose next week to the Bucs. Then they've got the division games against the Panthers. Saints recent history against the Panthers is better so it's highly unlikely they lose both of those games. I think they'll split. Overall, none of this means a hill of beans if the Falcons don't take care of their business.