Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcndave

My Hopes for the Rest of the Year: Just Win Baby!

24 posts in this topic

Eight wins!

I know that makes the ever growing crowd of tankers cringe. That is a small part of why it would bring me joy. Just being honest. But, FalcnDave, aren't you cutting off your nose despite you face there fellah?  No.  Seriously, not at all. The holy and mighty much sought after top three pick would guarantee this team exactly nothing for 2020 and beyond. Z-E-R-O.  Be honest with yourself. Are there teams this season that finished mid-pack last season and made advancements without a top 10 pick in round 1?  Additionally, would nine wins result in the Falcons having no hope of a top five pick? 

Here's the truth most tankers gloss over: They want the top three picks just to be excited about the draft...not because they think it will be a magic elixir that bolts this team to instant competitiveness. They have no faith in the on field talent or the front office and they want something to feel good about from the combine until week one kicks off. I can't blame anyone for that, but those in that boat will be happier long term if they admit that. If not, the spiral of gloom will steepen should a top three stud not explode on the scene and take over the NFL. 10 sacks or bust baby! 

Free agency is just as important as the draft, especially if you desire short term results. Winning is important to attracting free agents. Some guys are just money hogs, we can't afford those guys anyway. Other guys want a chance to play for a better team, winning is important to those guys.

Winning is good on its own merit. You can't make it bad no matter how hard you try. I've said my peace...have at it fans. I'm not going to debate every example you give by throwing out matching contrary examples. Its not worth the time for either of us. For example, my agenda since he has arrived has been to oust Dan Quinn. I realize eight straight wins jeopardize that. I want them anyway!  Go Falcons!

 

They Falcons have done mostly good work with top 10 picks over the last 30 years. 

1991-Bruce Pickens (3)

2001-Mike Vick (1)

2008-Matt Ryan (3)

Now other top 10s.

1993-Lincoln Kennedy 

2004-MeAngelo Hall

Julio Jones

Jake Matthews

Vic Beastly 

Now, a few of the 11 and below crowd. Some had less than perfect endings, but all contributed in their day or while healthy.

Keith Brooking

Patrick Kerney

Roddy White

Sean Weatherspoon

Desmond Trufant

Keanu Neal

Calvin Ridley

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

You don’t have to be a tanker to realize this team isn’t going to win 8 straight to finish the year

This! 

I can't root for Atlanta to lose, but winning 2-3 more games - which is the best you could hope for this season - only does the following:  (1) hurts our draft position (it's not like we are going to the playoffs anyhow), (2) possibly saves Quinn + TD (it's time to move on) and (3) gives us false expectations about some current players (unfortunately, we need to make several changes on our roster - this isn't 2016).

 

 

ya_boi_j, JetJones11, MAD597 and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, octoslash said:

We lost!  

YAY!   

Just think how great we'll be if we don't win another game for the next five years!

:barf:

This MIGHT happen,it is the falcons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

You don’t have to be a tanker to realize this team isn’t going to win 8 straight to finish the year

Its a hope...not an expectation. I do expect them to play better now that the pressure is off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tmodel66 said:

This! 

I can't root for Atlanta to lose, but winning 2-3 more games - which is the best you could hope for this season - only does the following:  (1) hurts our draft position (it's not like we are going to the playoffs anyhow), (2) possibly saves Quinn + TD (it's time to move on) and (3) gives us false expectations about some current players (unfortunately, we need to make several changes on our roster - this isn't 2016).

 

 

I am speaking to hope, not expectation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, if they could get to 9 wins, I'd rather that.

But winning 4 or 5 just drops the draft in each round.  I agree wholeheartedly about FA which is why I didn't mind looking like a 7-9 team last year instead of 4-12 too much.  But I don't think we're going to be players in it too much.

I'd always rather win than lose, but when you're 1-7 things have already gone way sideways.  I'd rather see them play the young guys and different personnel groupings and see what we have.  See who works best where on OL.  See if Ollison has something, etc.

MAD597 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Its a hope...not an expectation. I do expect them to play better now that the pressure is off. 

Pressure isn’t off. Pressure is still on for Quinn and TD’s sake. The only thing they are playing for is self pride. They have a ton to prove to themselves. 

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why people get so angry.

Not because of the tanker stuff but because of the lack of reality.

We’ve all seen the same things.

But now people are putting the completely unrealistic expectation of winning 8 straight?

Then if the Falcons get embarrassed people get angry and resentful because they convinced themselves the Falcons aren’t as bad as they thought.

Don’t worry about tanking.  I hope I’m wrong but the Falcons are as bad as we thought.  Payton has had 2 weeks to fine tune his attack while Quinn’s been trying to figure out how to get his team to run a basic defense without getting killed.

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, octoslash said:

We lost!  

YAY!   

Just think how great we'll be if we don't win another game for the next five years!

:barf:

Dayum! So you're saying not only is Quinn staying, but he's getting a 5-year contract extension?! smdh 

falcndave and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Pressure isn’t off. Pressure is still on for Quinn and TD’s sake. The only thing they are playing for is self pride. They have a ton to prove to themselves. 

Pride and a future job. They aren't staying with this team. Well at least Quinn, TD has a chance, but not Quinn. 

PokerSteve and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Pressure isn’t off. Pressure is still on for Quinn and TD’s sake. The only thing they are playing for is self pride. They have a ton to prove to themselves. 

Saw a little pride out there today. 

PokerSteve and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

This is why people get so angry.

Not because of the tanker stuff but because of the lack of reality.

We’ve all seen the same things.

But now people are putting the completely unrealistic expectation of winning 8 straight?

Then if the Falcons get embarrassed people get angry and resentful because they convinced themselves the Falcons aren’t as bad as they thought.

Don’t worry about tanking.  I hope I’m wrong but the Falcons are as bad as we thought.  Payton has had 2 weeks to fine tune his attack while Quinn’s been trying to figure out how to get his team to run a basic defense without getting killed.

Well looks like I was wrong about that and I'm very happy about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Saw a little pride out there today. 

Yep. That was the team I expected to see every game this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, falcndave said:

Hind sight?  I posted this Sunday morning :)

No ****. Had they lost you wouldn’t have came back to specifically quote my post :lol::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Pressure isn’t off. Pressure is still on for Quinn and TD’s sake. The only thing they are playing for is self pride. They have a ton to prove to themselves. 

Whipping the Saints should have just proven to themselves if they all do their job for 4 qtrs anything is possible going forward. The talent is there. Use it.

ya_boi_j and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you forget we lost to the Titans with Mariota and the Colts and Cardinals we beat our division rival over pride let’s not get carried away were still not making the playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

Whipping the Saints should have just proven to themselves if they all do their job for 4 qtrs anything is possible going forward. The talent is there. Use it.

This team is not winning 7 more straight  games now and then hope a million other things happen to get in the playoffs.

8-8 or 9-7 and no playoffs but the coaching staff comes back is about the worst thing that can happen to this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

You don’t have to be a tanker to realize this team isn’t going to win 8 straight to finish the year

If they played and coached rest of season like they did yesterday they might. Stranger things have happened.

Sure would be fun...

JDaveG and Big_Dog like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAD597 said:

This team is not winning 7 more straight  games now and then hope a million other things happen to get in the playoffs.

8-8 or 9-7 and no playoffs but the coaching staff comes back is about the worst thing that can happen to this team.

I'll take 8-8 as opposed to 1-15 like we were headed. Just for embarassment sake.

Vandy and JDaveG like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big_Dog said:

Whipping the Saints should have just proven to themselves if they all do their job for 4 qtrs anything is possible going forward. The talent is there. Use it.

The talent was there last year as well......yesterday showed exactly what the issue has been all season long

Big_Dog and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0