Carter

Deep South's Oldest Rivalry! #4 Georgia vs #12 Auburn Thread

783 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

well, let's just say I hope you are right.  Vegas doesn't see a walkover.

I didn't predict a walkover. I said 13-3. It's extremely close the entire game and Georgia gets a late score to extend the margin.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I didn't predict a walkover. I said 13-3. It's extremely close the entire game and Georgia gets a late score to extend the margin.

9-7 Georgia :ninja:

Well - I guess I'm by far in the minority here as an Auburn fan, but I'm still thinking UGA wins probably something like 27-21.  Bo Nix is just simply not very good.  He's had a little luck here & there ('sup, Oregon), and he does have a good football mind (thanks to his dad), but he's just not an accurate passer at all.  Hopefully this will improve over the next few years, but we're stuck with him.

Gus's ego is fairly pitiful.  He'll play Nix no matter what - no matter how bad he sucks.  He had MORE than enough chances to give Gatewood a decent shot, but he named Nix the starter, and by GOD he was going to prove to the world that Nix is the man.

Gatewood finally said "screw this" and left.  Gus will still be the coach - running his antiquated offense for probably the next 2-3 years, too.

Yay.

After the history on the Plains and in general, I expect to be biting my nails for 4 quarters and possible overtime. There is almost always something crazy that happens especially when Georgia is favored. Don't care what NIx has done so far,  have no doubt he knows the history and will be extremely motivated. Last time he was geeked up they drilled a pretty good Oregon team. Id expect some Malzahn trickeration play or 2, with one of them working                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

52 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

After the history on the Plains and in general, I expect to be biting my nails for 4 quarters and possible overtime. There is almost always something crazy that happens especially when Georgia is favored. Don't care what NIx has done so far,  have no doubt he knows the history and will be extremely motivated. Last time he was geeked up they drilled a pretty good Oregon team. Id expect some Malzahn trickeration play or 2, with one of them working

Did you even watch that game? Nix was terrible in that game until the 4th quarter. Auburn didn't have their first lead of the game until 9 seconds left in the game. Auburn did anything but "drill Oregon."

Auburn will lose and the offense won't do ****. Why is it so hard for you guys to understand that?

34 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Did you even watch that game? Nix was terrible in that game until the 4th quarter. Auburn didn't have their first lead of the game until 9 seconds left in the game. Auburn did anything but "drill Oregon."

Auburn will lose and the offense won't do ****. Why is it so hard for you guys to understand that?

Because we are still skeptical of our own team 

I don't think Auburn is going to win this game but I'll be surprised if they don't score some. The tendency for the most part when they've lost vs Georgia under Gus has been for Georgia to not come out ready for what Gus has planned, actually giving Auburn fans false hope, then Auburn struggles after the script runs out and Georgia's defense settles in. Auburn has led early in all of their recent losses to Georgia. 

So, if it goes as the recent Georgia wins vs Auburn, we will see Auburn strike first or at the very least lead early, actually show competent offense early, but stall out after that.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the final score looks a lot like what 2015 was. Auburn strikes early on their scripted drive, but after that is not able to do much, while Georgia puts together a couple of drives, maybe kicking a FG on one and scoring a TD on another. Otherwise, it's a defensive strugglefest. It goes into halftime at 10-7 and after the half, the struggle continues for the most part. A couple legit drives are put together (combined), but they aren't converted into 6. The backbreaker here is Nix making a mistake in the slugfest that gives Georgia a short field. Sometime in the 4th, this happens and Georgia converts off it for 6 to put it away. With a little time left, Auburn kicks another FG, but Georgia recovers the onside to ice the game and takes a couple knees.

I've said elsewhere that I like 24-17 as the final to keep up a strange pattern that we've seen, but I like the smell of 20-13 a bit more now that I typed that out.

sdogg likes this

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It’s not hard for me! :lol:

I think a lot of UGA fans are very uneasy about how our offense will perform in big games, particularly against tough defenses, and anxious about our defense not being enough... because we already saw that happen against South Carolina. The Dawgs offense has been more good than bad but it has not inspired much confidence and it’s only magnified as a problem when LSU is doing what they are doing.

This is a peculiar rivalry as well. Crazy stuff happens in this game pretty often. I do expect UGA to win for many of the reasons you’ve already laid out. Progression and execution on offense is what UGA fans want to see though and until that becomes plainly evident a lot of folks won’t feel great about our chances to win out.

I’m enjoying this season personally. Our defense is pretty fun to watch!

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

It’s not hard for me! :lol:

I think a lot of UGA fans are very uneasy about how our offense will perform in big games, particularly against tough defenses, and anxious about our defense not being enough... because we already saw that happen against South Carolina. The Dawgs offense has been more good than bad but it has not inspired much confidence and it’s only magnified as a problem when LSU is doing what they are doing.

This is a peculiar rivalry as well. Crazy stuff happens in this game pretty often. I do expect UGA to win for many of the reasons you’ve already laid out. Progression and execution on offense is what UGA fans want to see though and until that becomes plainly evident a lot of folks won’t feel great about our chances to win out.

I’m enjoying this season personally. Our defense is pretty fun to watch!

Only reason Georgia lost to South Carolina was because they didn't run Swift enough. Plain and simple as that. Gamecocks had no answer for Swift but for some reason Georgia didn't keep feeding him like they should have.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It was 21-13  at the end of the 3rd quarter they were in the game the whole time might not have been perfect for a diehard fan but where was Nix 9 months earlier? Think that's my point nobody expected them to compete especially with a frosh QB yet they pulled that **** out drilling Oregon for their only loss. LOL you can cry they stink all you want but they have hung tough with LSU you are acting like they got no chance at all just because they aren't perfect LOL well neither is Georgia. Tigers lost at Florida and at LSU **** if UGA had to do that they might have 3 losses themselves.

Georgia has yet to put it all together and a coach like Malzahn at home can find a way to exploit that easily. 

36 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Only reason Georgia lost to South Carolina was because they didn't run Swift enough. Plain and simple as that. Gamecocks had no answer for Swift but for some reason Georgia didn't keep feeding him like they should have.

I can appreciate you being gracious about that game. Feeding Swift more may have made the difference but I think a lot of UGA fans see a lot of unresolved issues still which led to that outcome being what it was. Not saying I totally agree with it but that’s where many UGA fans are coming from.

I’m mostly agreeing with you, just playing a little devils advocate.

16 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

It was 21-13  at the end of the 3rd quarter they were in the game the whole time might not have been perfect for a diehard fan but where was Nix 9 months earlier? Think that's my point nobody expected them to compete especially with a frosh QB yet they pulled that **** out drilling Oregon for their only loss. LOL you can cry they stink all you want but they have hung tough with LSU you are acting like they got no chance at all just because they aren't perfect LOL well neither is Georgia. Tigers lost at Florida and at LSU **** if UGA had to do that they might have 3 losses themselves.

Georgia has yet to put it all together and a coach like Malzahn at home can find a way to exploit that easily. 

I've seen this same song and dance from Gus Malzahn's teams for years. If Gus would have gotten his head out of his *** Auburn would have beaten Florida and LSU. But Gus is such a horrible coach!! He's garbage!! One of the worst coaches I've ever had the displeasure of coaching one of my teams!! Dude goes into big games with the worst game plans imaginable because he refuses to make adjustments. Wouldn't surprise me one big if Auburn goes the entire 2nd half without a single 1st down like what happened a few years ago.

BamaBirdLady likes this

Mizzou has a top ten statistical defense. The offense had some execution problems that can be cleaned up like dropped passes and errant throws. 

More or less avoid running head on towards Derrick Brown Everybody hates moving laterally, especially big dudes. Auburn averages seven tackles a game where there is a loss. 

There will be some 3 and outs, just have to be patient, and try to set up some plays. Also, reel Pickens in from all the theatrical antics. Focus is the name of the game. Now if he's busting alot of plays out there, I mean...

Dean Legge usually has pretty good stuff when I have read his writing on the Dawgs. I agree with this completely...

LEGGE: UGA Should Expect to Win at Auburn

By Dean Legge

ATHENS - 11 weeks into the college football season, UGA is right where it wants to be - right in the SEC and national title mix and controlling everything moving forward.

A slew of schools - LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, Minnesota and even Penn State control their seasons still.

Oregon, Utah, Oklahoma and Baylor control their own situation in their conferences, but it is hard to know for sure what happens in both of those conference situations because of the perceived weakness surrounding those leagues. 

Then there’s Alabama, which many folks (particularly those in Clemson) were ready to kill off Saturday night after the Tide’s loss to LSU. Alabama was outplayed, out-disciplined and straight up beaten by the Tigers. 

Alabama won’t win the SEC West unless the sky turns green. 

That’s not stopped Alabama from winning the national title twice since 2011 because the rules are different for the Tide than anyone else. That’s not being partisan… that’s reality. That’s the way folks should view Bama’s situation moving forward… the Bear ain’t dead until until its head is severed. 

And the head wasn’t completely removed Saturday night. 

So folks in Clemson, Columbus and Athens should chill out on the “Alabama doesn’t belong in” narrative. If one-loss Minnesota or Penn State wins the Big Ten or Clemson pulls a Dabo Alabama would very much still be in the playoff. 

Bama’s situation is very different than, say, Oklahoma, which seems to be holding on for dear life these days. Oregon and Utah could go a long way in pushing Alabama out for good if they meet as one-loss teams in the Pac 12 title game in a few weeks. I trust no one in the Pac 12 to deliver when it comes to national football situations. 

Then again, what happens if Ohio State and its scoring machine is sideswiped by Penn State?

We’ve got a lot left to go here. I have no reason to believe Alabama will lose again this season. But the Tide’s best win (in a best-case scenario) might be a three-loss Auburn or a three-loss A&M. Both would require those teams to take out at least one top-five team the rest of the year. 

That the Tide are on the outside looking in is certainly the case. But they aren’t so far outside that they forgot how to unlock the door if they need to. 

Meanwhile, Georgia needs one more win to capture a third SEC East crown in as many seasons. The Bulldogs have lost only once (2019 USC) against division foes in that time. Only two SEC West schools remain in the way of Georgia and another trip to Atlanta. 

The Bulldogs’ slow methodical style stands in total contradiction with other top teams in college football. Georgia has only scored over 30 or more points four times this season, and have not done so since the 43-14 blowout win over Tennessee. 

The problem for the oppopision is that Georgia has only given up 34 total points in the four games since the offense has slowed. Allowing just over a touchdown a game is the way to win it all. 

Jake Fromm seemed relatively confident on Saturday night when telling us about how the offense is going to get together and start really scoring on folks. He’s probably right, but Georgia is going to have to prove it, and this will is going to be a legit test as Auburn’s defense is pretty good… and the game is on the road. 

Playing at Auburn is always difficult

But Auburn isn’t playing great on offense, and that’s an issue because that’s a bad matchup for the Tigers in this game. Auburn has only scored 30 points or more on Kent State, Mississippi State and Arkansas. 

Auburn didn’t score more than 28 against Oregon, Tulane, A&M, the Gators, LSU and Ole Miss. The Tigers looked just plain bad against the Rebs. In addition, Bo Nix is a combined 51 of 113 for 579 yards with five TDs and six interceptions. He was sacked seven times in those contests. 

That’s not going to work against Georgia, which is the best defense Nix will see all year. Georgia’s defenders should be ready to have a multiple-turnover game. If UGA’s offense doesn’t have a multiple-turnover game itself the Bulldogs should leave Auburn with a win. 

The line for this game isn’t out yet, but I sort of expect Georgia to cover the line… whatever it is. This is a championship moment for Georgia. One title, the SEC East, is on the line while more - the SEC and beyond - would be put in jeopardy with a loss. 

I expect Georgia to grind out another win on Saturday.

sdogg, Peteshweddy, putnam6 and 3 others like this

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

4 turnovers 

four!

Bdawg58 likes this

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Dean Legge usually has pretty good stuff when I have read his writing on the Dawgs. I agree with this completely...

I really like that article about Bama and it's chances of getting into CFPs! I hate that it would be at the expense of the Dawgs, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I truely believe GA will take aubarn to the woodshed! Like @Falconsfan567 Gus is just not a good coach, no matter the talent he has. And honestly, GA has way more talent and a much better coach!

GO DAWGS! For now.

sdogg likes this

34 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I really like that article about Bama and it's chances of getting into CFPs! I hate that it would be at the expense of the Dawgs, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

I truely believe GA will take aubarn to the woodshed! Like @Falconsfan567 Gus is just not a good coach, no matter the talent he has. And honestly, GA has way more talent and a much better coach!

GO DAWGS! For now.

Unless LSU loses between now and SECCG (which seems unlikely) the only way for Bama to get in would be for UGA to lose.

While myself and others here want UGA in the CFP, it seems unlikely that we run the table and beat LSU - certainly possible, but unlikely.

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Unless LSU loses between now and SECCG (which seems unlikely) the only way for Bama to get in would be for UGA to lose.

While myself and others here want UGA in the CFP, it seems unlikely that we run the table and beat LSU - certainly possible, but unlikely.

*insert long post about how much I disagree that it’s unlikely we beat LSU*

Ok since that’s out of the way now... *takes a deep breath*

tenor.gif?itemid=5169879

Bdawg58 likes this

1 hour ago, Carter said:

*insert long post about how much I disagree that it’s unlikely we beat LSU*

Ok since that’s out of the way now... *takes a deep breath*

tenor.gif?itemid=5169879

Didn’t say UGA couldn’t win - said it was unlikely that we would - and it is.   

Vegas will make LSU the favorite - and it won’t be because they like Purple & Gold or because they like to spell things alternatively “Geaux”.

I hope for all the same things you do - undefeated down the stretch, win SECCG and two playoff wins and the elusive Natty.

Saw a stat today and I have no idea of it's true but it said that Gus is 11-0 coming off a bye week. Can any of you AU fans confirm that?

12 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Saw a stat today and I have no idea of it's true but it said that Gus is 11-0 coming off a bye week. Can any of you AU fans confirm that?

Far from being an aubarn fan, but I just looked up and he has a perfect record after a bye week.

No matter that stat, GA can break it!