Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

Thoughts on Dennis Allen

12 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Cole World said:

@FalconsIn2012 @athell @Vandy @Ergo Proxy @PeytonMannings Forehead @Francis York Morgan@JDaveG

What do you think about Dennis Allen as a potential coach?

I had not really thought about him. He certainly has done a wonderful job with that underperforming unit.

Can we hire him and their OC Carmichael Jr.  to be our Co-HC?

Cole World likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I had not really thought about him. He certainly has done a wonderful job with that underperforming unit.

Can we hire him and their OC to be our Co-HC?

Their OC will probably stick with Payton like Josh McDaniel and Bill Belichick. 

Our cap situation might deter him from coming here.

Iron Saint likes this

I'd much rather get an offensive coach and find a good DC. The carousel at OC this team has had since Ryan got here is absurd and needs to stop.  We need a coach who can implement a scheme and stick with it.

I like Allen.  But in general, unless Bill Bellichick wants to come here and win us a ring, I'll pass on defensive coaches.

33 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd much rather get an offensive coach and find a good DC. The carousel at OC this team has had since Ryan got here is absurd and needs to stop.  We need a coach who can implement a scheme and stick with it.

I like Allen.  But in general, unless Bill Bellichick wants to come here and win us a ring, I'll pass on defensive coaches.

Pretty much this. I like Allen, but I'd really like to be able to keep a good OC for more than a couple years.

Cole World and JDaveG like this

Love Dennis Allen’s scheme going all the way back to Oakland and Denver with some of the creative ways he used Von Miller. Love the way he calls the game, the way he mixes coverages and fronts.

Now him as a HC? I wanna give him a mulligan because it was the Raiders when they were a mess from top to bottom but that team had no juice and he just didn’t come off impressive in any way as a leader.

He’s apprenticed under some great teachers and he’s got a little more gray hair now so you gotta think he’d be better but he wouldn’t be at the top of my list.

Cole World and JDaveG like this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

@FalconsIn2012 @athell @Vandy @Ergo Proxy @PeytonMannings Forehead @Francis York Morgan@JDaveG

What do you think about Dennis Allen as a potential coach?

I'm torn.  I've thought about this actually and what Allen has done in NO has been impressive, though they have much better talent.  I look past the Raider drama because they were run like a joke but here is my thing.  I want an elite offensive mind.  If Allen could bring that in like Quinn did with Shanny?  Ok...

But if that happens, like Shanny, our OC will be a quick in and out yet again.

I'd rather get that elite offensive mind as HC so we can retain him longer than 2 years.

I do like Allen tho.  A lot.  Tho I really do want someone who has done it before at that level...

Cole World likes this

25 minutes ago, athell said:

I'm torn.  I've thought about this actually and what Allen has done in NO has been impressive, though they have much better talent.  I look past the Raider drama because they were run like a joke but here is my thing.  I want an elite offensive mind.  If Allen could bring that in like Quinn did with Shanny?  Ok...

But if that happens, like Shanny, our OC will be a quick in and out yet again.

I'd rather get that elite offensive mind as HC so we can retain him longer than 2 years.

I do like Allen tho.  A lot.  Tho I really do want someone who has done it before at that level...

Who's the elite offensive mind you're thinking about?

athell likes this

29 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Who's the elite offensive mind you're thinking about?

I don't even know.  I'm not a Lincoln Riley guy...wouldn't mind Kubiak or McDaniels tbh.  Bieniemy is intriguing but I dunno if I want a first timer...

My thinking on this is our offense is light years ahead of our defense, may as well play to our strengths while building a defense from within.

Funny because we have a lot of similarities to those 7-9 Saints squads who were all offense and no defense.

Who is your dream staff?

Cole World likes this

22 minutes ago, athell said:

I don't even know.  I'm not a Lincoln Riley guy...wouldn't mind Kubiak or McDaniels tbh.  Bieniemy is intriguing but I dunno if I want a first timer...

My thinking on this is our offense is light years ahead of our defense, may as well play to our strengths while building a defense from within.

Funny because we have a lot of similarities to those 7-9 Saints squads who were all offense and no defense.

Who is your dream staff?

Agreed.  I like Kubiak.  McDaniels?  Not so much.  And that's the thing, when you lock yourself into thinking it has to be an offensive coach, you start running out of names real quick.  I mean, this is all guesswork at this point, but I think we can all agree that there isn't a Kyle Shanahan, or a Sean McVay sitting out there right now -- and that's the template most are going for when we get to talking about this stuff.  That's why I don't wanna close the door on anyone right now.

I don't have a dream staff.  My dream staff is in San Francisco, right down to Kris Kocurek, their d-line coach, who's mixed a lot of wide-9 into their scheme and has that line playing out of its mind.

Cole World, athell and JDaveG like this

46 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed.  I like Kubiak.  McDaniels?  Not so much.  And that's the thing, when you lock yourself into thinking it has to be an offensive coach, you start running out of names real quick.  I mean, this is all guesswork at this point, but I think we can all agree that there isn't a Kyle Shanahan, or a Sean McVay sitting out there right now -- and that's the template most are going for when we get to talking about this stuff.  That's why I don't wanna close the door on anyone right now.

I don't have a dream staff.  My dream staff is in San Francisco, right down to Kris Kocurek, their d-line coach, who's mixed a lot of wide-9 into their scheme and has that line playing out of its mind.

Yea I hear you.  The list of offensive candidates is a very short list.  I'm all for a defensive coach if he cam deliver is a defense unlike Quinn, but I dunno...I go back and forth.

Agreed on San Fran tho.  Wish Mo got traded there, but I've adopted them as my rooting interest team.  Love watching them play and man do I miss Shanny and his creative game plans.

Also my thought on McDaniels is he is a great offensive mind but even moreso, been behind the goat for a long dang time.  That has to rub off on him right?  If we are gonna hire off a tree, the main branch of the Bill tree who also is a great OC isn't a bad start...

1 hour ago, athell said:

Yea I hear you.  The list of offensive candidates is a very short list.  I'm all for a defensive coach if he cam deliver is a defense unlike Quinn, but I dunno...I go back and forth.

Agreed on San Fran tho.  Wish Mo got traded there, but I've adopted them as my rooting interest team.  Love watching them play and man do I miss Shanny and his creative game plans.

Also my thought on McDaniels is he is a great offensive mind but even moreso, been behind the goat for a long dang time.  That has to rub off on him right?  If we are gonna hire off a tree, the main branch of the Bill tree who also is a great OC isn't a bad start...

My thing with McDaniels is he's got a little bit of Petrino in him to me.   That whole deal taking the Colts job then backing out just doesn't sit right with me.  It's one thing to turn a job down, but he actually had a staff in place from my recollection.  And at the end of every season, guys are scrambling to get hired.  Those assistant jobs go quick, so you take a job with the Colts thinking you're straight and the guy backs out, that's playing with peoples' lives.  

Luckily the Colts kept the guys they were gonna hire, but it coulda gone real ugly.  

Now Bill Belichick once took a head coaching job for 24 hours then resigned, so maybe he's just following daddy's footsteps to a tee, but there's just something about McDaniels's character that leaves me uneasy.  

athell and Cole World like this