ATLSlobberKnockers

Draft Blankenship

18 posts in this topic

I generally dont like.drafting kickers but the value here is undeniable. Id take him in rnd 6 without hesitation. Place kickers are much more imporant than a potential ST contribitor,which is what your likey to get im rnd 6. Having a stud kicker on a 400k salary will.clear a little money too. 

Blankenship is the next 15+ year NFL career kicker.

Faithful Falcon and jas82487 like this

I haven't specifically studied him but I worry about overvaluing kickers just because they're on top teams and ending up with the next Roberto Aguayo. 

Just now, Summerhill said:

I haven't specifically studied him but I worry about overvaluing kickers just because they're on top teams and ending up with the next Roberto Aguayo. 

Well burning a 2nd rnd pick on a kicker is just stupid. But a 6th rnd pick to solidify your top scoring position is wise.

jas82487, Ergo Proxy, Vandy and 1 other like this

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

“The Athens Assassin” has great numbers, but he has missed crucial kicks in key situations.  He may follow the path of Blair Walsh

Kickers miss. Blair Walsh is an anomaly. I don't see him repeating in Blank. Plus your kicker will sell merch which is nice. Lol

FalconsIn2012 and Ergo Proxy like this

I like him.... at this point he make big kick and he's missed big kicks... even the greats have done it...     he's right around the corner and we should kick the tires...   

4 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I generally dont like.drafting kickers but the value here is undeniable. Id take him in rnd 6 without hesitation. Place kickers are much more imporant than a potential ST contribitor,which is what your likey to get im rnd 6. Having a stud kicker on a 400k salary will.clear a little money too. 

Blankenship is the next 15+ year NFL career kicker.

Didn't we trade our 6th round pick to the eagles for the dude that played one game for us?

2 hours ago, TNFalcon1 said:

Not keen on using any pick on a kicker. 

Why not? If you have a need & can get a guy who can be getting you points from the get go in the 5th or later, doesn't that make for a much better use of the pick than on a guy who probably just rides the pine or doesn't even make the team?

I was listening to an episode of the Around The NFL podcast a couple day ago & they brought up a very important aspect to the value of draft picks. They mentioned that essentially, the draft is only four rounds long. The reason being? Because after the fourth round, a players chances of becoming a starter, or having a 5 year (or longer) career, or even sticking with the team that drafted him fall off considerably.

Forbes did a study a few years back showing the percentages of NFL starers based on when they were drafted:

1st round - 29.9%
2nd round - 17.5%
3rd round - 12.6%
4th round - 10.8%
5th round - 6.4%
6th round - 4.9%
7th round - 4.2%
undrafted - 13.6%

So again, why covet a late round pick & spend it on like the 22nd best WR in the class who'll likely end up on the practice squad & very well may never play a meaningful down for your team if you can instead use that pick to secure one of the best kickers available who can make an immediate impact & has a much higher chance of sticking to your team for years to come?

45 minutes ago, k-train said:

Why not? If you have a need & can get a guy who can be getting you points from the get go in the 5th or later, doesn't that make for a much better use of the pick than on a guy who probably just rides the pine or doesn't even make the team?

I was listening to an episode of the Around The NFL podcast a couple day ago & they brought up a very important aspect to the value of draft picks. They mentioned that essentially, the draft is only four rounds long. The reason being? Because after the fourth round, a players chances of becoming a starter, or having a 5 year (or longer) career, or even sticking with the team that drafted him fall off considerably.

Forbes did a study a few years back showing the percentages of NFL starers based on when they were drafted:

1st round - 29.9%
2nd round - 17.5%
3rd round - 12.6%
4th round - 10.8%
5th round - 6.4%
6th round - 4.9%
7th round - 4.2%
undrafted - 13.6%

So again, why covet a late round pick & spend it on like the 22nd best WR in the class who'll likely end up on the practice squad & very well may never play a meaningful down for your team if you can instead use that pick to secure one of the best kickers available who can make an immediate impact & has a much higher chance of sticking to your team for years to come?

Kickers impact a game as much as any non-QB positional player.  See the Patriots first 3 Super Bowl wins

k-train likes this

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Kickers impact a game as much as any non-QB positional player.  See the Patriots first 3 Super Bowl wins

Exactly.

So why people still have that idea of not drafting a kicker is beyond me.