LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

Why am seeing people say Neal is "gone" after this year?

46 posts in this topic

Very confised when people say Neal is purely gone.  I'm usually one of the 1st people to know the next couple years FA we have to keep, but I don't think Neal is FA. Why are people saying he's gone? H is a pro bowler, very young, and can come back from injuries. Very confused. Heart and soul of this defense.

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly?  Because he has a $6.6 million cap hit and $0 dead money to cut him.  We can either draft or sign a replacement.  

I like Keke.  But if he comes back it would have to be on a team friendly deal.

This. Two season ending injuries. That kind of cap hit. That's a tough gamble for a box safety. He's not that versatile. He's more effective the closer he is to the ball. 15 yards in a Cover 2/4 look and he's in deep water. 

Chaz, PokerSteve, MSalmon and 8 others like this

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Honestly?  Because he has a $6.6 million cap hit and $0 dead money to cut him.  We can either draft or sign a replacement.  

2 minutes ago, vel said:

This. Two season ending injuries. That kind of cap hit. That's a tough gamble for a box safety. He's not that versatile. He's more effective the closer he is to the ball. 15 yards in a Cover 2/4 look and he's in deep water. 

You both beat me to it, but yea.  Love Keke and wish him the best, but back to back IR trips plus that cap hit plus what he brings isn't really all that dynamic...find a cheaper replacement who hopefully proves to be much more durable.

falconsd56, JDaveG and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

You both beat me to it, but yea.  Love Keke and wish him the best, but back to back IR trips plus that cap hit plus what he brings isn't really all that dynamic...find a cheaper replacement who hopefully proves to be much more durable.

Trade him if possible. He's not a lost cause. But they have to accept this is a rebuilding team and need to build it correctly. He's only 24 so his career is far from over. I forget who, but a poster did point out that he can't be cut because he may not pass a physical before the new league year. He'll be the toughest decision for a new HC/GM. 

PokerSteve and JDaveG like this

This the same thing that happend to Brent Grimes, he got hurt 2 consecutive years so we let him walk. Ironically his next few years after he left the falcons were his best and you never got hurt again to be put on IR if I remember. 

dawgsfan426, Emmitt and Atl Falcon like this

Isn’t he protected from being cut over injury? Is his money guaranteed unless he fails a physical and gets a settlement?

Saw it a number of times someone say the only way we could cut him is if his Achilles is healed and we can give him a physical before the deadline to rescind otherwise it’s guaranteed money on the cap either way.

dont know the truth on it...

Cole World, PokerSteve and Vandy like this

24 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

His 5th year option is fully guaranteed unless he pass his physical before the start of the league year

PokerSteve and Schwarzwald like this

Found this when googling:

“Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.”

@Cole World

Cole World and FalconJim like this

5 minutes ago, philosophico said:

This the same thing that happend to Brent Grimes, he got hurt 2 consecutive years so we let him walk. Ironically his next few years after he left the falcons were his best and you never got hurt again to be put on IR if I remember. 

Let other teams take that gamble, we got enough issues to deal with.

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Found this when googling:

“Fifth-year options are guaranteed for injury only between May 3 and the start of the following league year. As such, they’re not entirely risk-free, but as long as the player remains healthy, a team could exercise his fifth-year option, then cut him before his option year gets underway without being on the hook for his salary. When the league year begins, the player’s fifth-year salary becomes guaranteed for skill and cap purposes, as well as injury.”

@Cole World

I’m saying he should do this or will do this but if he wanted to ensure he get his 6M he could take his time in rehab.

Also free up money to back up the brinks truck for yannick ngakoue if the jags can't afford him. Guessing why they drafted Allen last year. He's still very young, and very productive in run and pass game. 

lju713 and OrthoPTSD like this

Just now, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Also free up money to back up the brinks truck for yannick ngakoue if the jags can't afford him. Guessing why they drafted Allen last year. He's still very young, and very productive in run and pass game. 

6-7 month would be a miracle recovery regardless.

Pacific_Falcon and Cole World like this

15 minutes ago, vel said:

Trade him if possible. He's not a lost cause. But they have to accept this is a rebuilding team and need to build it correctly. He's only 24 so his career is far from over. I forget who, but a poster did point out that he can't be cut because he may not pass a physical before the new league year. He'll be the toughest decision for a new HC/GM. 

The next Deone Buchanan?

6 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

If he is really likely cut, than delpit KS my #1 option if Chase Young is gone. Without a shadow of a doubt. 

He got injured the last game played. Probably minor tho

3 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

Very confised when people say Neal is purely gone.  I'm usually one of the 1st people to know the next couple years FA we have to keep, but I don't think Neal is FA. Why are people saying he's gone? H is a pro bowler, very young, and can come back from injuries. Very confused. Heart and soul of this defense.

No sure if he can stay healthy but for 6m hes coming back next season.

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Hometown deal or move on. At this point with the injuries we can find a suitable healthy replacement. 

Mr.Falcon79 likes this

4 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

No sure if he can stay healthy but for 6m hes coming back next season.

And even if people think he’ll be gone eventually...Because his option is fully guaranteed if injured...he is back in 2020 unless someone trades for a guy recovering from Achilles in offseason for a pick?

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And even if people think he’ll be gone eventually...Because his option is fully guaranteed if injured...he is back in 2020 unless someone trades for a guy recovering from Achilles in offseason for a pick?

That's a good start. Though they don't cost us much I do not want to see Barner or Hardy on this roster next season. That's just two off the top of my head. How in dahell can you start a season and be a winning team with those two on your roster?

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Let other teams take that gamble, we got enough issues to deal with.

Sad, but true. Also the zebras had zeroed in on Neal as someone to throw a flag on for the big hits he would lay down.

I know it wont happen but when he is healthy id liked to see what he can do at LBer

Edited by LouDog