LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

If Chase Young Is Gone, What Position Do You Go Round 1?

76 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, SpongeDad said:

My hopes

1: Trade up for Young, likely the 1st overall pick. (My preferred option)

2: Jeff Okudah (replace Trufant)

3. Derrick Brown 

I have to agree. I hate trading up, but we do have an extra 2nd rounder. And we need that game changer like Joey Bosa is for the 9ers this year. 

7 hours ago, Nereek said:

Drafting a QB now, just to sit on the bench for years, also isn't the future. It doesn't always work like that.

Years? LOL!!!!!!!! Years? LMAOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

Arod sat on the bench for a good couple of seasons and then again, Arod is 100x better QB than Tua would ever be.. Tua will not be a successful nfl QB imo.

Edge defender or secondary.

If we can’t get young, we need to grab a playmaker for our secondary. I wouldn’t be opposed to using our first couple picks on the front 7 and secondary.

I would also bring in some vets with leadership qualities. We are missing that on defense.

3 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

You need to learn how NFL salary cap and contracts work. Matt Ryan is un-cuttable and un-tradeable for at least two years. Fortunately, he is an excellent franchise quarterback. I am all for drafting a QB with our surplus 2nd rounder to develop, to give us a quality backup, and to let germinate into trade-bait or Ryan's replacement DOWN THE ROAD A FEW YEARS.

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

20 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Francis- I;ll watch this weeks LSU/Bama game and check out Delpit more in depth, and yes I am not saying with Neal gone and JJ Wilcox out that Falcons dont need a IMPACT safety but I just got Delpit down the board currently, like available at 17.  But to me, and I am throwing out WRs, and QBs, the best picks on the draft board are 1. Chase Young  2. Andrew Thomas 3. Tristin Wirfs 4. AJ Epensa 5. Okudah. If any of those guys are there that's who I would pick. I would rebuild Falcons from inside out both on o-line and d-line first.  

One thing to add on Delpit, and something tow patch, is he's lined up as a slot cb as well. Interesting prospect,

If Keanu Neal comes back and we drafted Grant Delpit LSU, would that mean we bench Ricardo Allen? Can we afford Keanu Neal after 2020 if he balls out? Just hate to pay Keanu Neal a ton on a big long term contract & end up like the Freeman deal and stuck with him. Are do you think we hang onto Ricardo Allen and let Keanu Neal hit free agency in 2021 & hope for a future comp. pick?

Best options:

OT Andrew Thomas

University of Georgia

(move McGary to Guard, and Thomas begins at RT, and moves his way to LT over the next 2-3 seasons. Build let a wall around Ryan so "the jitters" disappear..)

DT Derrick Brown 

Auburn

(It is better to draft the second most mutants impact-ful Defensive Linemen in this draft than the second best Defensive End. Next to Jarrett, the combo could be special inside at DT -,especially for MLB Deion Jones. )

CB Jeff Okudah

Ohio State 

Don't know if Chase Young is making him better, or is coverage is helping Young. Falcons drafted his former teammate, Sheffield, here. Problem,  Trufant may still remain due to his contract, and the other young CBs on the roster create a logjam at the position. Still, select the next best defender after Young, and Brown, and figure it out. 

**** Maybe, select

DE Yetur Gross-Matos Penn State

Only ---if his NFL Combine numbers are special..Or trade-down a few slots to get-him.

That is a big hypothetical situation  because I believe that 3 of the top 6 picks in the 2020 NFL Draft will be QBs and WR Jerry Jeudy.

Even if The Falcons win 2 more games the rest of this season, and end with pick #7, Brown or Okudah should be still available to draft.

On 11/7/2019 at 7:13 AM, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I see slot of people saying DE or bust in the 1st round, but I don't think the casual draft season tracker will understand that the tip of this DE class is non-existent after Chase Young. As of now, and probably come April, there is no pure pass rushing DE taking in the top half of the 1st round outside of Chase Young. AJ Epenesa from Iowa has been thrown around, but he is extremely raw from the pass rushing standpoint, and is more of a 3-4 run stopping DE, with some ability to play 4-3 strongside DE. He is not super athletic, and not a great pass rusher. The wire pass rushers In this draft are currently mocked in the very late 1st, and all over the 2nd. None of which I'm sold on, and scouting players is one of my biggest passions and joy in life.  

So to my fellow falcons fans, what position to you value, if Chase Young is gone, and assuming we are picking top 10. 

The players I'm looking at right now in the top 10, and if Young is gone:

- Grant Delpit S LSU - A great overall safety like former Tiger Jamal Adams, and currently Charger Derwin James. Like the two mentioned, he has pro bowl potential at FS and SS. He is a playmaker, and makes plays all over the field. If he's the guy, I would cut ties with Rico, and park him with KeKe. That would give us 2 young studs at FS and SS. 

- Jeff Okudah CB Ohio State - I would love this pick, if we got a player like Yannick Ngakoue in FA.  A 10 CB will get eaten alive by opposing QB's if they have all the time in the world to throw the ball. Okudah is a special CB prospect though. He is tall, long, and is the complete package. Has great hands, and sticks to his man like glue. Probably the best CB prospect since Jalen Ramsey. 

- Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson - As of now, he's the only LB I would take in the top 10. He simply does it all, and has been projected by some as a S. He is the best tackler in this draft, regardless of position. He has drawn comparisons to a young Thomas Davis, and looks to be one of the better WLB prospects in recent memory, due to his ability to cover and blitz. Like Delpit, he is a defender who does it all at a high level. Assuming Campbell is gone, Simmons very well could be a smart, safe pick in round 1. He looks to be a sure thing as a LB, and would be a nice paring with DeBo, and would give us a very similar duo as the Panthers had with Keuchly and Davis a few years ago. Simmons compliments DeBo perfectly. I would not consider him at S, because he would be the perfect WLB on this team. Phenomenal instincts, speed, awareness, coverage, and tackling.  

- Derrick Brown DT Auburn - Powerful DT that is massive and I can't emphasize his power enough. He can blow up run plays, or push the pocket. Pairing him with Grady, would give us one of the best younger DT duos in the league. I'm very confident he will pan out.  He has a great all around game, and is a phenomenal athlete for his size. Has violent hands.  

- Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina - as of right now, I would put Brown ahead of him, but Kinlaw is rising up boards fast. They are very similar prospects, and gave similar size as well. Id say Kinlaw has a higher ceiling though.  

- Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - Thomas is one of the best OT prospects in recent memory. He is purely dominant in the run game, and shows equally great flashes in pass protection.  We could either slot him at LG, and have a LG that would have the trajectory of Quinton Nelson on the Colts, or move McGary to LG, and have one of the most promising RT in the game. ****, we could even slide Jake to RT, and slot Thomas at LT. Thomas has pro bowl potential at OT, and also could be a top 3-5 OG from day one. 

I'm not going to list any WR, RB, or QB, as any of them would be a horrible selection, unless a new regime wants to trade Matt Ryan to the bears or titans for a haul of draft picks.  I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, as long as it is a 1st this year and next year, because the QB I want to replace Ryan is Justin Fields from OSU, and will be the 1st or 2nd pick next year in 2021. Getting another 1st next year, and possibly other picks would give us ammunition to trade up if needed. Bank needs to let go of the falcon for life motto, because it could hinder a successful rebuild and cleaning of the house.

As you see, the pass rusher position is, unfortunately, very boom or bust in the top 10. It's basically chase young or bust in the top 10, and the next athletic pure pass rusher is apparently Yetur Gross-Matos from Penn State, and he is not expected to go until the 20's, as he is very athletic, but is also raw and needs some coaching up. Very unfortunate we didn't have our current pics in last year's class, because Bosa, Quinnen, or Allen would look very good in the red and black. We were looking at a potential trade up for Devin Bush last year, so maybe Isaiah Simmons is the guy we look at if Young is gone, but we will more than likely have a new GM, so who knows at this point.  

I just wanted to see who you guys liked specifically as of now, because I'm honestly hoping we go 1-15, and get the next Von Miller type pass rusher in Chase Young.  He would single handedly transform this defense.  That extra 2nd for sanu may give us the extra ammunition needed to trade up and grab young, if we end up being 2-3 spots out of his range.  

Every season pass rushers that are 2nd rounders in  November are top 15 in March

falconsd56 likes this

1 hour ago, Mr.Falcon79 said:

If Keanu Neal comes back and we drafted Grant Delpit LSU, would that mean we bench Ricardo Allen? Can we afford Keanu Neal after 2020 if he balls out? Just hate to pay Keanu Neal a ton on a big long term contract & end up like the Freeman deal and stuck with him. Are do you think we hang onto Ricardo Allen and let Keanu Neal hit free agency in 2021 & hope for a future comp. pick?

We van afford Neal. He only costs 6 mil next season (average of the top 5 hignest paid at that position). Hes not going to bring Earl Thomas momey in f.a.

I would be ok with Delpit, but for 6m its still worth keeping Neal one more season. Re!ember Rico was a solid NB before moving to.FS.

14 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

I have to agree. I hate trading up, but we do have an extra 2nd rounder. And we need that game changer like Joey Bosa is for the 9ers this year. 

We would likely have to trade up to.#1 and that would cost a 2021 first, which im totally cool with. Having someone at.edge.that can move a QB off his spot will help.Takk as well.

A #1 this year and next year would be fine if were picking next year in the late 20’s, hopefully 30’s for Chase Young. But if top 15 or better would be pretty bitter to miss out on a 1st next year. But then again a legit pass rusher is something the Falcons can’t find to save there life. So this could be a once in a decade opportunity to actually get one through the draft. But if he busts we are set back many years giving up next years 1st. So if we go after him, Front Office & Head Coach better be near 100% sure Chase Young is the real deal.

Edited by Mr.Falcon79

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Yeah Ryan is om contract for Years so totally stupid to draft a QB.

There are ALOT of players on contract for years, but they never play out their contracts. Ryan will be one.

12 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

You need to learn how NFL salary cap and contracts work. Matt Ryan is un-cuttable and un-tradeable for at least two years. Fortunately, he is an excellent franchise quarterback. I am all for drafting a QB with our surplus 2nd rounder to develop, to give us a quality backup, and to let germinate into trade-bait or Ryan's replacement DOWN THE ROAD A FEW YEARS.

Ryan will be replaced sooner than you all think. Watch....

17 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

I won't give-up one of those 2nd rounders though.

It would take more than that to move-up  from pick #4 or lower

I would just have to dare The Bengals, Redskins, Dolphins, and Jets...

The Bengals and Dolphins need a QB to be "the face of their franchise"

The Redskins need an OT to protect their Young QB (who is a total pocket-passer and is not much of a runner.)

The Bengals are conservative.

All I can say. I'm not for tanking. But I'm going to be pissed if we win some pointless games at the end of the season and drop down to the double digits for draft order.

6 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

There are ALOT of players on contract for years, but they never play out their contracts. Ryan will be one.

Do you kmow what Dead cap is? Ryan is retiring a Falcon