LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

If Chase Young Is Gone, What Position Do You Go Round 1?

76 posts in this topic

I see slot of people saying DE or bust in the 1st round, but I don't think the casual draft season tracker will understand that the tip of this DE class is non-existent after Chase Young. As of now, and probably come April, there is no pure pass rushing DE taking in the top half of the 1st round outside of Chase Young. AJ Epenesa from Iowa has been thrown around, but he is extremely raw from the pass rushing standpoint, and is more of a 3-4 run stopping DE, with some ability to play 4-3 strongside DE. He is not super athletic, and not a great pass rusher. The wire pass rushers In this draft are currently mocked in the very late 1st, and all over the 2nd. None of which I'm sold on, and scouting players is one of my biggest passions and joy in life.  

So to my fellow falcons fans, what position to you value, if Chase Young is gone, and assuming we are picking top 10. 

The players I'm looking at right now in the top 10, and if Young is gone:

- Grant Delpit S LSU - A great overall safety like former Tiger Jamal Adams, and currently Charger Derwin James. Like the two mentioned, he has pro bowl potential at FS and SS. He is a playmaker, and makes plays all over the field. If he's the guy, I would cut ties with Rico, and park him with KeKe. That would give us 2 young studs at FS and SS. 

- Jeff Okudah CB Ohio State - I would love this pick, if we got a player like Yannick Ngakoue in FA.  A 10 CB will get eaten alive by opposing QB's if they have all the time in the world to throw the ball. Okudah is a special CB prospect though. He is tall, long, and is the complete package. Has great hands, and sticks to his man like glue. Probably the best CB prospect since Jalen Ramsey. 

- Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson - As of now, he's the only LB I would take in the top 10. He simply does it all, and has been projected by some as a S. He is the best tackler in this draft, regardless of position. He has drawn comparisons to a young Thomas Davis, and looks to be one of the better WLB prospects in recent memory, due to his ability to cover and blitz. Like Delpit, he is a defender who does it all at a high level. Assuming Campbell is gone, Simmons very well could be a smart, safe pick in round 1. He looks to be a sure thing as a LB, and would be a nice paring with DeBo, and would give us a very similar duo as the Panthers had with Keuchly and Davis a few years ago. Simmons compliments DeBo perfectly. I would not consider him at S, because he would be the perfect WLB on this team. Phenomenal instincts, speed, awareness, coverage, and tackling.  

- Derrick Brown DT Auburn - Powerful DT that is massive and I can't emphasize his power enough. He can blow up run plays, or push the pocket. Pairing him with Grady, would give us one of the best younger DT duos in the league. I'm very confident he will pan out.  He has a great all around game, and is a phenomenal athlete for his size. Has violent hands.  

- Javon Kinlaw DT South Carolina - as of right now, I would put Brown ahead of him, but Kinlaw is rising up boards fast. They are very similar prospects, and gave similar size as well. Id say Kinlaw has a higher ceiling though.  

- Andrew Thomas OT Georgia - Thomas is one of the best OT prospects in recent memory. He is purely dominant in the run game, and shows equally great flashes in pass protection.  We could either slot him at LG, and have a LG that would have the trajectory of Quinton Nelson on the Colts, or move McGary to LG, and have one of the most promising RT in the game. ****, we could even slide Jake to RT, and slot Thomas at LT. Thomas has pro bowl potential at OT, and also could be a top 3-5 OG from day one. 

I'm not going to list any WR, RB, or QB, as any of them would be a horrible selection, unless a new regime wants to trade Matt Ryan to the bears or titans for a haul of draft picks.  I wouldn't be completely opposed to it, as long as it is a 1st this year and next year, because the QB I want to replace Ryan is Justin Fields from OSU, and will be the 1st or 2nd pick next year in 2021. Getting another 1st next year, and possibly other picks would give us ammunition to trade up if needed. Bank needs to let go of the falcon for life motto, because it could hinder a successful rebuild and cleaning of the house.

As you see, the pass rusher position is, unfortunately, very boom or bust in the top 10. It's basically chase young or bust in the top 10, and the next athletic pure pass rusher is apparently Yetur Gross-Matos from Penn State, and he is not expected to go until the 20's, as he is very athletic, but is also raw and needs some coaching up. Very unfortunate we didn't have our current pics in last year's class, because Bosa, Quinnen, or Allen would look very good in the red and black. We were looking at a potential trade up for Devin Bush last year, so maybe Isaiah Simmons is the guy we look at if Young is gone, but we will more than likely have a new GM, so who knows at this point.  

I just wanted to see who you guys liked specifically as of now, because I'm honestly hoping we go 1-15, and get the next Von Miller type pass rusher in Chase Young.  He would single handedly transform this defense.  That extra 2nd for sanu may give us the extra ammunition needed to trade up and grab young, if we end up being 2-3 spots out of his range.  

The pick is obviously Chase Young if he’s there no doubt. Derrick Brown, Grant Delpit, Jeff Okudah are the only three as of right now I can see the Falcons selecting in the top 5 before the East West game, Senior Bowl, & Combine. A lot always changes between now and then & someone that is not on anyone’s radar for a top 5 or 10 pick will come out of nowhere.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Falcon79 said:

The pick is obviously Chase Young if he’s there no doubt. Derrick Brown, Grant Delpit, Jeff Okudah are the only three as of right now I can see the Falcons selecting in the top 5 before the East West game, Senior Bowl, & Combine. A lot always changes between now and then & someone that is not on anyone’s radar for a top 5 or 10 pick will come out of nowhere.

I agree, but as of right now, I find it very hard to see a DE in this class jumping up into the top 10, based on the extensive look if given this class already. Bama has a couple edge rushers I like in the late 1st/2nd round, but both have had some injury histories. Obviously chase young is the ultimate prize, but I think he goes 1 or 2. That's why we need to continue to lose. The K god we have a tough road from here on out. I'd be all for finishing 1-15 to secure the next von miller/kahlil Mack. If bed gone though, Simmons is a great prospect that would look really nice next to DeBo. As an off ball LB, he shows great blitz awareness, and has even gotten 6 sacks this year already. It just sucks that this is the draft class we will be picking from in more than likely the top 5 or 10. Young, Okudah, Delpit, and Simmons are the only blue chip defenders in my eyes so far.  Kinda and brown can reach that, but we have seen how a dominant DT doesn't necessarily transform a defense. Maybe 2 will, but we have so many holes on D. Okudah is a stud, but I question if he is a lockdown corner himself, or just the best corner on a dominate defense. Could be both, but not sure yet. He has all the tools physically though.  A dominate CB doesn't necessarily mean a great defense though. Especially considering Jalen Ramsey's past couple season with the jaguars. He also had an all pro DL and CB across from him.  

If we can free the money, and Jacksonville let's him walk, then Yannick Ngakoue needs to get all the money thrown at him.  Would give us a cry young pass rusher, who has produced in every season of his career so far.  

MSalmon likes this

I like brown or okudah in a trade down to boatload more picks. If chase is gone. If the gm is ed dobbs. I trust him in finding steals in the 2 and 3rd rounds. And gems in the later rounds. The more picks the more holes we can fill on both sides of the ball. Jmho

Edited by RazorWing
ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

I think if you select Derrick Brown DT Auburn and you pair him with Grady then you have two dominant inside guys. That would allow the edge rushers to get more opportunity being the quarterback can’t step up into the pocket. Which that’s hoping Derrick Brown can be he we think he will be. Always a coin toss with the draft.

Edited by Mr.Falcon79
Faithful Falcon likes this

Andrew Thomas is 2nd best player on the board behind Chase Young. Tristan Wirfs is the 3rd best player on the board. If either of these two are there I'm taking one of them. If  not I address a need and get  Akudah CB from Ohio State or AJ Epensa from Iowa. I am not passing on 2 top tier o-linemen even though we drafted 2 last year. I am going to make sure we have adequate line to RUN the football. Andrew Thomas and Wirfs are IMPACT players. I would address inside D line thru free agency. We are hurting so bad on the inside D line I would make sure I got someone who was a proven producer. This years draft the o-linemen rule in the top 10. For teams not needing QBs like us the board goes 1. Chase  Young 2. Andrew Thomas 3. Tristan Wirfs 4. AJ Epenesa 5. Jeff Okudah.

Delpit Safety from LSU is a reach drafting in the top 10 he will go 15 or higher. 

Late 1st early 2nd I am targeting Cam Akers out of FSU, flat out stud. 

Edited by Refried Beans

You make very good points LaurentRobinsonDaGawg. I think we have to go Defensive Line or Secondary no doubt. Our offense is the strength of the team. You have to at least have an average Defense to go with your offense. Our Defense is terrible. I was so sure that with Dan Quinn taking over we would be at the very least average to above average. I had my doubts no matter how good Quinn was Vic Beasley was a lost cause. Quinn inherited a legendary Defense in Seattle. Quinn is proving he is worse than Marquand Manuel. He can’t manage a game at all. He was not ready to be a head coach. And the way the Defense is playing I have my doubts when fired if anyone would offer Dan Quinn a Defensive Coordinator position as well.

Absolutely. Dodds is the man who will correct our scouting department. And he would allow Blank to keep TD in front office to manage contracts. Blank doesnt want to fire anyone and I get that. So he needs to bring in Dodds and absolutely pay him whatever he wants and let Dodds do the firing. In regards to this draft, it is Falcons luck that the best available players when we go to pick will be o-linemen. But when you are pick 1-10  you HAVE to take them and not get caught up in drafting for need. A Andrew Thomas  from UGA or a Tristin Wirfs from Iowa are two NFL ready plug and play linemen, just flat maulers. Epensa DE out of Iowa is the next JJ Watts.  I would be happy with any of those three. I like the CB from Ohio State but CB ramp up time in NFL is longer and I want to win starting next year. 

Just now, Refried Beans said:

Absolutely. Dodds is the man who will correct our scouting department. And he would allow Blank to keep TD in front office to manage contracts. Blank doesnt want to fire anyone and I get that. So he needs to bring in Dodds and absolutely pay him whatever he wants and let Dodds do the firing. In regards to this draft, it is Falcons luck that the best available players when we go to pick will be o-linemen. But when you are pick 1-10  you HAVE to take them and not get caught up in drafting for need. A Andrew Thomas  from UGA or a Tristin Wirfs from Iowa are two NFL ready plug and play linemen, just flat maulers. Epensa DE out of Iowa is the next JJ Watts.  I would be happy with any of those three. I like the CB from Ohio State but CB ramp up time in NFL is longer and I want to win starting next year. 

The last thing we need is TD to stay to manage the contracts. Look at the cap **** he put us in with these terrible contracts. Freeman, Beasley, Trufant, the list goes on and on.... TD must be fired. 

Mr.Falcon- Our current scouts are just dated. McKay, Webster, Emry, even Sabo are old school, and they look at players like it's 2000-2006. The game has changed and Falcons need to change with it. Aaron Rodgers put it all in perspective when he commented on his new coach LeFluer, he said it was a breathe of fresh air and that he is happy to try new things that he felt the old regime had grown stale. Sounds very familiar with what we are doing. Shanny comes in offense goes nuts, we revert back to the Koetters of the world and we are predictable and boring. This tells me the dated upper front office brought in this refit raft, so Falcons from McKay on down to Sabo need a facelift. 

DBN- At the time Freeman was on top of his game so no one would have predicited he would get paid and turn into a puss. I myself would never pay a RB or a WR top dollar in today's NFL. The highest paid area of my team would be the o-line and the d-line and then the QB and LBs. WRs and RBs, even CBs are the easiest of all positions to replace. But a good o-lineman or d-lineman is like gold. 

rugger8 likes this

Francis. With rules change the day of the bringing the hammer safety are over, I would address this need in free agency. I wish the NFL wasnt such a watered down touch football league becasue I miss the days of safeties like Troy Polomalu, Ronnie Lott, and others that would flat lay people out. Even Keanu Neal was a old school bring the heat safety but the NFL and the bogis concussion law suits made the safety position nothing more than a safety valve position, that rolls to cover and keep the top from being blown off. I would not waste a first round pick on a safety in today's NFL. 

10 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Francis. With rules change the day of the bringing the hammer safety are over, I would address this need in free agency. I wish the NFL wasnt such a watered down touch football league becasue I miss the days of safeties like Troy Polomalu, Ronnie Lott, and others that would flat lay people out. Even Keanu Neal was a old school bring the heat safety but the NFL and the bogis concussion law suits made the safety position nothing more than a safety valve position, that rolls to cover and keep the top from being blown off. I would not waste a first round pick on a safety in today's NFL. 

Delpit isn't a bring the hammer safety solely. With all due respect, I think you're seriously underrating the safety position and its importance in the modern NFL. Especially for a guy who's such a fan of Ed Dodds. Malik Hooker in the 1st, two safeties last draft...he knows how important safety is.

Delpit is a guy who can lay the wood on the back end, but that isn't all he is. He's a 6'3 stud that can cover TEs. He can blow up screens. He can blitz the QB. He can shed blocks in run support. He can roam and get takeaways. He's a do-it-all guy. Multiple. Defenses that can disguise what they're doing on the field and match up without just subbing players in are the future of this league.

26 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

If Young is gone, we'd ideally trade down and nab Delpit. Dude is a perfect defender for the modern defense and we have a massive need at safety that I'm baffled at us barely addressing.

All of this

Francis- I;ll watch this weeks LSU/Bama game and check out Delpit more in depth, and yes I am not saying with Neal gone and JJ Wilcox out that Falcons dont need a IMPACT safety but I just got Delpit down the board currently, like available at 17.  But to me, and I am throwing out WRs, and QBs, the best picks on the draft board are 1. Chase Young  2. Andrew Thomas 3. Tristin Wirfs 4. AJ Epensa 5. Okudah. If any of those guys are there that's who I would pick. I would rebuild Falcons from inside out both on o-line and d-line first.  

11 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

Francis- I;ll watch this weeks LSU/Bama game and check out Delpit more in depth, and yes I am not saying with Neal gone and JJ Wilcox out that Falcons dont need a IMPACT safety but I just got Delpit down the board currently, like available at 17.  But to me, and I am throwing out WRs, and QBs, the best picks on the draft board are 1. Chase Young  2. Andrew Thomas 3. Tristin Wirfs 4. AJ Epensa 5. Okudah. If any of those guys are there that's who I would pick. I would rebuild Falcons from inside out both on o-line and d-line first.  

I get your view. Different boards. He's my 2nd favorite player in the whole draft.