College Football Playoff thread

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh. LSU will be ranked #4 in two weeks anyway. 

It’s still so funny that Auburn beat Alabama and Georgia In 2017 and it didn’t even really matter to either team lol

You go man!!   not sure if you’ve put it in enough threads though. Lol

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

The biggest move was Baylor this week. They have it set up now where OU can close the year with a top 10 win and jump into the playoffs if UGA loses to LSU. Not saying that will happen but the groundwork is there. But, given this committee’s apparent emphasis on strong defense, that seems counterintuitive. Hearing the justification for OU if it does happen will be interesting. 

bama's 5th spot is just a placeholder.. they can't do anything other than beat auburn..  utah and ou if they win out will jump bama and i agree the baylor move says a lot about their thinking..

10 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

bama's 5th spot is just a placeholder.. they can't do anything other than beat auburn..  utah and ou if they win out will jump bama and i agree the baylor move says a lot about their thinking..

Yea I agree with you on Bama’s ranking. They are there because they are a good team even without Tua and nobody has done anything below them to justify a bump but that will change come conference championship week. I don’t see a path for Bama to get in barring major losses and I’ve felt that way since they lost to LSU. 

I know the committee is about getting the best teams in the playoff but unless there isn’t another viable option I’m not in favor of playoff rematches. 

18 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Yea I agree with you on Bama’s ranking. They are there because they are a good team even without Tua and nobody has done anything below them to justify a bump but that will change come conference championship week. I don’t see a path for Bama to get in barring major losses and I’ve felt that way since they lost to LSU. 

I know the committee is about getting the best teams in the playoff but unless there isn’t another viable option I’m not in favor of playoff rematches. 

In years past regarding bama you could watch them and they would have played a tough schedule and they would have shown offensively and defensively that gave the committee wiggle room to put in a team using the bogus "eye test" crap statement they did to get the bama brand into the CFP.  however this year we have all seen bama and they aren't close to being a top 4 team so they can't use that crap statement to excuse moving in if you have a utah or ou that won their conference with 1 loss..  i think utah is a better team than ou myself, but oregon losing really hurt utah.  i can see chaos happening through..  

54 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The question to me is Oklahoma vs Utah. If LSU wins that will open up the final spot. Does Utah stay ahead of Oklahoma if they beat Baylor? Baylor is obviously highly regarded in the eyes of the committee. Oregon was dropped all the way to 14. Utah's only loss was a close one to a ranked USC team.

that is a great question.  i think the fact that baylor jumped up and would give OU a much better win in the title game than utah will get beating oregon.  this weekend could blow everything up though.. i think most of the top 10 have games they can lose.. 

53 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

What bowl does ga go to if they lose to LSU?

Orange, Sugar or Cotton would be the SEC tie ins for NY6 bowls if I’m not mistaken. It would likely be the Orange vs ACC team (maybe Virginia Tech) I think, because I believe Sugar gets the highest ranked non playoff SEC team, which would be Bama if they beat Auburn and UGA loses to LSU. If Bama loses to Auburn then I think we are pretty much guaranteed Sugar vs Big 12 (Oklahoma or Baylor) with a loss to LSU.

If we beat LSU and make it into the playoff then location becomes weird. Fiesta in Phoenix, AZ and Peach in Atlanta are the sites for the semifinal games. They will put the higher ranked team closest, so Ohio State could play LSU in Atlanta and UGA could play Clemson in Arizona. If not then LSU may jump back to #1 and play whoever gets in at 4 in Atlanta while OSU plays Clemson in Arizona.

3 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

In years past regarding bama you could watch them and they would have played a tough schedule and they would have shown offensively and defensively that gave the committee wiggle room to put in a team using the bogus "eye test" crap statement they did to get the bama brand into the CFP.  however this year we have all seen bama and they aren't close to being a top 4 team so they can't use that crap statement to excuse moving in if you have a utah or ou that won their conference with 1 loss..  i think utah is a better team than ou myself, but oregon losing really hurt utah.  i can see chaos happening through..  

...but why isn't Alabama a Top 4 team if Georgia loses?   Yes, Bama's schedule has been crap but they dominated every game they played other than LSU.   Huge point spreads.    Would Penn State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Baylor, or Utah be favored in a game against Bama today?  I don't think so - even w/o Tua, I don't think so.   Obviously w/o Tua it would make all these games closer but still don't think Bama would lose to any of these teams.

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

...but why isn't Alabama a Top 4 team if Georgia loses?   Yes, Bama's schedule has been crap but they dominated every game they played other than LSU.   Huge point spreads.    Would Penn State, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Baylor, or Utah be favored in a game against Bama today?  I don't think so - even w/o Tua, I don't think so.   Obviously w/o Tua it would make all these games closer but still don't think Bama would lose to any of these teams.

I disagree. I don't know why you think Alabama is so good this year when their defense isn't nearly as good this year as in years past and now they've got to run a different type of offense with Mac Jones at QB. I believe that Oklahoma would beat a Mac Jones led Alabama team and maybe even Penn State. Not Minnesota, Baylor, or Utah though. Alabama is clearly better than those 3 teams.

IMO, the top 4 teams in college football this year are LSU, Ohio State, Georgia, and Clemson. You talk about point margins? Look at Clemson and their point margins. They've only had 2 games this year where they scored less than 40. They've only given up more than 14 once this year. Sure it's a weak schedule but so is Alabama's. I believe that those 4 teams have proven to be above Alabama.

Even if Georgia loses to LSU I still believe they're a top 4 team regardless of ranking. Sadly we won't get to see Alabama against Georgia this year to see it play out on the field.

13 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

oP7iGzWz_normal.jpg

Bowl Predictions from ESPN: CFP: Ohio St vs Utah CFP: LSU vs Clemson Alabama vs Memphis (Cotton) Georgia vs Oklahoma (Sugar) Penn St vs Oregon (Rose) Virginia vs Florida (Orange) Michigan vs Washington Auburn vs Wisconsin Minnesota vs Tennessee USC vs Baylor Air Force vs Texas

I really don't want to go to Cotton Bowl for several reasons, the first is due to our horrible season.

Secondly, we open up the season in Jerry World next year and who really wants to make the trip out there twice in less than a year?

Please, please, please, no Cotton Bowl! Let's go to Florida!

7 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

So sad! Yea, aubarn beat us, but it was a really crazy game with some crazy plays. I believe we should be ranked above them with 2 losses versus 3.

Oh well, Music City Bowl here we come!

Yeah that probably means no hope for a NY6 bowl even. LSU, UGA, Florida, Auburn all guaranteed to be ranked above Bama at this point.

With Florida at 9, I think UGA is guaranteed the Sugar if we lose to LSU. If UGA and Utah both lose then OU will be in and Baylor would be in the Sugar.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

The belief is the Citrus Bowl will have Bama vs Michigan. People want to see Saban vs Harbaugh 

that would be fun to see, but bama fans are not happy at all on their boards dropping 7 spots all the way down to 12.. that makes sure they have no shot at a Big 6 bowl game. to me it said a lot about the committee and how they really felt about bama's body of work and what they are as a team now. 

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah that probably means no hope for a NY6 bowl even. LSU, UGA, Florida, Auburn all guaranteed to be ranked above Bama at this point.

With Florida at 9, I think UGA is guaranteed the Sugar if we lose to LSU. If UGA and Utah both lose then OU will be in and Baylor would be in the Sugar.

yep there is no hope right now for a NY6 bowl game due to having 4 teams ahead of them and even if we lose we won't fall that far.  the committee basically backed up a lot of what we said about bama this year and their body of work.  i was surprised they did it actually knowing how much bama gets the benefit of the being bama.  you can see the bama bias with the ap and coaches poll, but when your best win is texas a&m who is 7-5 and best ooc win is duke.  there isn't much of a resume to be honest. 

10 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep there is no hope right now for a NY6 bowl game due to having 4 teams ahead of them and even if we lose we won't fall that far.  the committee basically backed up a lot of what we said about bama this year and their body of work.  i was surprised they did it actually knowing how much bama gets the benefit of the being bama.  you can see the bama bias with the ap and coaches poll, but when your best win is texas a&m who is 7-5 and best ooc win is duke.  there isn't much of a resume to be honest. 

Scheduling matters. And if you lose to the 2 ranked teams you play, there’s not much of an argument to be made.