College Football Playoff thread

usmcdirtybird

4 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Saban said himself that he plays even " meaningless" games to win...

I think what triggered @Black Francis which kind of hit me the wrong way too, was that you used quotation marks around "meaningless" games.

Saban would NEVER refer to a game as meaningless. Not even if he was playing a local high school. 

Hey, I appreciate your Bama spirit,  your statement just read funny.

RMFT

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Now that I'm thinking about this... the havoc scenario would be Ohio State losing to Penn State, Clemson dropping a close game to Wake Forest, Bama beating LSU and then losing to Auburn, UGA losing to Auburn and then winning the SEC.

I sure as **** don't want to lose to Auburn, but this would be fun to see how it played out in selection lol

I'd like it just for the chaos it would cause.

2 hours ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I think what triggered @Black Francis which kind of hit me the wrong way too, was that you used quotation marks around "meaningless" games.

Saban would NEVER refer to a game as meaningless. Not even if he was playing a local high school. 

Hey, I appreciate your Bama spirit,  your statement just read funny.

RMFT

I went HARD for Saban and Bama in this thread and somehow responding to a guy's comment about Saban playing backups against Auburn and me saying he wouldn't do that got twisted around...

8 hours ago, Spts1 said:

I went HARD for Saban and Bama in this thread and somehow responding to a guy's comment about Saban playing backups against Auburn and me saying he wouldn't do that got twisted around...

I know you did and so does everyone else. Like I said, I think he just reacted to the verbage.

On another note, did you hear Delpit still isn't at practice and hasn't been seen on campus? Interesting, huh

13 hours ago, Carter said:

Now that I'm thinking about this... the havoc scenario would be Ohio State losing to Penn State, Clemson dropping a close game to Wake Forest, Bama beating LSU and then losing to Auburn, UGA losing to Auburn and then winning the SEC.

I sure as **** don't want to lose to Auburn, but this would be fun to see how it played out in selection lol

UCF would be declared National Champions 

week 2 rankings: 

LSU atop CFP; Georgia beats out Alabama for No. 4

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28067255/lsu-atop-cfp-georgia-beats-alabama-no-4

College Football Playoff Ranking

1. LSU (9-0)
2. Ohio State (9-0)
3. Clemson (10-0)
4. Georgia (8-1)
5. Alabama (8-1)
6. Oregon (8-1)
7. Utah (8-1)
8. Minnesota (9-0)
9. Penn State (8-1)
10. Oklahoma (8-2)
11. Florida (8-2)
12. Auburn (7-2)
13. Baylor (9-0)
14. Wisconsin (7-2)
15. Michigan (7-2)
16. Notre Dame (7-2)
17. Cincinnati (8-1)
18. Memphis (8-1)
19. Texas (6-3)
20. Iowa (6-3)
21. Boise State (8-1)
22. Oklahoma State (6-3)
23. Navy (7-1)
24. Kansas State (6-3)
25. Appalachian State (8-1)

i posted this in the wrong thread.. i meant for this one: 

CFP Director Rob Mullens on Georgia...

"Georgia, with wins against both Florida and Notre Dame, put them at No. 4 in the rankings this week. The committee spent a lot of time comparing Georgia and Alabama. In the end, Georgia's two wins over ranked teams made the difference in the No. 4 spot. Alabama clearly is a strong team, but the committee gave the edge to Georgia."

Q. You mentioned spending -- the committee spending a lot of time with Georgia and Alabama and those wins. How much were their respective losses to South Carolina and LSU part of that discussion, and how does that balance out with those wins?
ROB MULLENS: It's certainly a part of the discussion, no doubt. We're aware of the South Carolina loss for Georgia and that Alabama's loss was against a team that was ranked No. 1, so that's clearly on the board when we're comparing them. But we're also looking at Georgia's wins against top-20 teams Florida and Notre Dame."

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Still a joke Minnesota is so low. Every team in front of them has at least 1 quality win except Alabama. Hope Minnesota keeps winning and making the CFP committee look like a joke!!

Have you seen who they played before the Penn St? It was terrible, Minnesota will have their opportunity to beat some quality teams the rest of the season but I don’t disagree with the committee for slow playing Minnesota  

1 minute ago, Bdawg58 said:

Have you seen who they played before the Penn St? It was terrible, Minnesota will have their opportunity to beat some quality teams the rest of the season but I don’t disagree with the committee for slow playing Minnesota  

Yes. Minnesota has played a terrible schedule but so has Alabama. That's the point. Minnesota is being punished for a terrible schedule and Alabama isn't based on prior 2019 results. That's the problem with the committee. They're not looking at only 2019.

8 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

Bama is being punished by not being in the top 4 and likely won’t be unless they get help. Bama passes the eye test but Minnesota doesn’t, as far as being a top 4 team. All punishments aren’t equal

Agreed, the committee has always said they value the eye ball test.

Yes, we have a bad SOS, but from reading the transcript that @SacFalcFan posted, there was a whole lot of talk about Bama being a real good team. There was a whole lot of talk about Bama in general.

I don't understand Alabama fans. Just had a silly argument of Alabama's SOS vs. Minnesota's SOS. Alabama has played teams with a combined record of 40-45. Minnesota has played teams with a combined record of 43-42. Alabama has beaten teams with a combined record of 31-45. Minnesota has beaten teams with a combined record of 43-42. I don't know about anyone else but where I come from this "proves" that Minnesota has played a tougher schedule than Alabama. Yet this clown on Twitter is talking about how before the season started Phil Steele ranked Alabama's SOS as 44th and Minnesota's as 49th and that is what he keeps harping on. Then he has the gall to talk about Alabama's FPI being 3rd and Minnesota's 19. WTF? Whatever. Dude is crazy. I don't care about sill preseason projections or some weird computer based results. I care about actual win/loss records and Minnesota has the edge over Alabama and it's not even close.

If Bama finishes with one loss to LSU but the SOS is weak, while other teams have one loss and also are Conference Champs then I can't see Bama getting in this year.  Pac12 almost guaranteed a 1-loss champ this year, and Big10 likely to have a 1-loss or 0-loss team, Clemson will hopefully lose to WF this weekend but let's assume they win out.  UGA or LSU is going to be the SEC Champ barring an unlikely turn of events. That's the likely 4 teams in 2019. Bama will most likely be watching the Playoffs. Beat LSU, or have a stronger SOS, and they get in but they have neither on their side this season. It's their bed; they get to lay in it.

If UGA loses a game somewhere and BAMA wins out,   BAMA’s getting in - believe that.

It also factors in that the last two times Bama was “placed” in the playoff(4) and championship (2) games somewhat controversially - they won the Natty.   If they ever get placed in and get embarrassed, then they may lose that Saban/Bama trump card - but I believe they still have it today.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:45 AM, Bdawg58 said:

I disagree with a committee doing anything. This 4 team playoffs is still the BCS. Alabama being 5 is a prime example. Their fans can argue all they like, and claim that they barely lost. They got their @sses whooped.

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I disagree with a committee doing anything. This 4 team playoffs is still the BCS. Alabama being 5 is a prime example. Their fans can argue all they like, and claim that they barely lost. They got their @sses whooped.

All I’m saying is that Minnesota doesn’t look like a top 4 team right now.. Bama does but their resumé say otherwise