usmcdirtybird

College Football Playoff thread

61 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Cincinnati would get the New Years 6 game right now. Memphis and Boise State closely following Cincy.

I agreed with Joey Galloway.  Cincinnati gave Ohio St a decent game.  They should be higher than 20.  

3 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I agreed with Joey Galloway.  Cincinnati gave Ohio St a decent game.  They should be higher than 20.  

Cincy lost by like 40 to Ohio State though 

Porter Osborne Jr and Spts1 like this

Don’t even care at all about these rankings. Would trade all of it if Alabama basketball could have a team worth a crap one of these years 

BamaBirdLady likes this

5 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Cincy lost by like 40 to Ohio State though 

OSU won that game 42-0 and it was 28-0 at halftime...

Falconsfan567 likes this

LSU plays Bama this week. Ohio State plays Penn State a few weeks from now. There will be some shake up just naturally, no sense in analyzing it much now. The order of the top 4 really doesn’t matter anyway, who is in the top 4 is what matters. 5-10 are probably just as important at this point since that position can influence how much a team moves up when they keep winning.

A little surprised to see Oklahoma behind Oregon and Utah right now, but that’s going to take care of itself too. 

You guys probably heard but CFP chair Rob Mullens said UGA wins over ND and Florida cancels out the SC loss in the eyes of the committee. 

He also said Minnesota doesnt have quality wins and that's why they're stuck so low.

sdogg, 95Dawg, Ovie_Lover and 1 other like this

I like where Bama is sitting. I hate being ranked #1, we always seem to lose when we are ranked #1.

Bama needs to win out and we are in. I don't think at #3 we can survive a loss to LSU and get in without an Ohio St loss, Clemson loss, and LSU loss in SECG.

GA is sitting great at #6. All they have to do is win out and wait for the other teams to knock themselves out. Bama  vs LSU, Ohio St vs Penn St.

It is going to be an interesting run!

48 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I like where Bama is sitting. I hate being ranked #1, we always seem to lose when we are ranked #1.

Bama needs to win out and we are in. I don't think at #3 we can survive a loss to LSU and get in without an Ohio St loss, Clemson loss, and LSU loss in SECG.

GA is sitting great at #6. All they have to do is win out and wait for the other teams to knock themselves out. Bama  vs LSU, Ohio St vs Penn St.

Georgia HAS to win out.  That means going thru a tough Missouri team this weekend,  at Auburn and beating either LSU or Alabama in the SEC championship game.  Ohio State and LSU have wiggle room.  What hurts Bama is their schedule.  They have to win out. Clemson is a shoo in because they play nobody.  

Edited by Spts1

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Anyone in Top 6 controls their own destiny.   The door is mostly closed for anyone behind UGA.

Baylor is a big wrinkle. If they win out and win the Big 12 you'll have an undefeated Power 5 there.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Anyone in Top 6 controls their own destiny.   The door is mostly closed for anyone behind UGA.

I wouldn’t say the door is mostly closed.. Bama HAS to win this weekend or I don’t think they have a chance to make the playoffs unless something weird happens. Bama won’t likely have a top 20 win this year if they lose to LSU. 

Edited by Bdawg58
Spts1 likes this

32 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

I’m pretty sure Bama or LSU won’t drop any lower than 5 with a loss this weekend. Taking a loss puts everyone in a compromised position. Bama/LSU are kinda uniquely situated to get in with a loss now if UGA win the SEC in a month.

I gotta agree with Bdawg. I dont think the committee is that impressed with Bama right now. This weekend is huge for them.

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I gotta agree with Bdawg. I dont think the committee is that impressed with Bama right now. This weekend is huge for them.

Bama?  How about defending National Champs at #5?.   Committee is clearly telling Clemson - lose one game and you are out.    I bet Dabo is whining this morning.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I’m very skeptical that Bama won’t get the benefit of the doubt even if they lose to LSU. I think the committee would be more likely to put Bama in over LSU if UGA wins the SEC just to avoid a rematch of the SEC title game in the playoffs. They for sure won’t put a one loss Oklahoma, Penn State, Utah or Oregon in over Bama this year.

What will really open the door is if Clemson gets upset. They will be in the top 4 after this weekend and probably stay there. Ohio State or Penn State will also drop out of the top 4 by the end of the month. But if Clemson slips up they are definitely out and that opens up some possibilities.

36 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Georgia HAS to win out.  That means going thru a tough Missouri team this weekend,  at Auburn and beating either LSU or Alabama in the SEC championship game.  Ohio State and LSU have wiggle room.  What hurts Bama is their schedule.  They have to win out. Clemson is a shoo in because they play nobody.  

We can't sleep on Jimbo and the Aggies.  The first part of the Florida game gave me a little of the lost confidence back, but we failed to close the door on them.  I truly believe UGA plays up or down to the competition, that is something Kirby needs to continue working on.  No way our team should be able to beat Florida and lose to SC in the same year, or Hammer Alabama in the first half of a game and implode the second.  We need to instill a more dominant mentality and the team needs to be able to believe in itself from whistle to whistle.

sdogg likes this

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Bama?  How about defending National Champs at #5?.   Committee is clearly telling Clemson - lose one game and you are out.    I bet Dabo is whining this morning.

Same for them. Committee is sending a clear message about quality wins and how they feel about the ACC.

Bdawg58 likes this

38 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Sad to say I agree too. I hate that LSU is still getting props for playing Texas that is unranked. I really don't care where they were ranked when you played them early in the season, it is where they are ranked now. Now it would be different if you lost a major player.

When Bama beat FSU who was ranked #3 in 2017 at the Kick Off Classic, we knocked out Francois for the season and they went on to have a horrible season. We got ZERO credit for playing the then #3 team, why is LSU getting credit for playing a #9 Texas team that is now unranked and still has their starting QB, RB, ETC.?

I don't think Bama gets in if they lose Saturday, like I said on another post, people are sick and tired of Bama. I would be too if I didn't go to school there and have a son there and daughter going next year!

22 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Same for them. Committee is sending a clear message about quality wins and how they feel about the ACC.

I don’t know if it’s a clear message about quality wins and the ACC so much as it is that Clemson just hasn’t been great this year. They have struggled at times and even looked really poor offensively in some games.

I’m pretty upset about it too because I drafted TLaw in round 1 in college fantasy and he has had some stinkers. :argh:

53 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I know it isn't Dabo/Clemson's fault that the rest of the ACC sucks arss and I know Clemson is legit and has shown as much most of the years they have made the playoff - but those spots are too valuable just to be given away.     It's just not right that Clemson gets to walk through the regular season.     It would be a tough call to put in another 1-loss team ahead of Clemson if you legit thought Clemson was better but I might do it anyway.

I really hope Clemson loses and puts the committee on the spot in the end - the only playoff ranking that matters is the last one.

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I don’t know if it’s a clear message about quality wins and the ACC so much as it is that Clemson just hasn’t been great this year. They have struggled at times and even looked really poor offensively in some games.

I’m pretty upset about it too because I drafted TLaw in round 1 in college fantasy and he has had some stinkers. :argh:

should have drafted Justin Fields :lol:

12-1 Oregon throws a big wrench in some of these plans. Let’s say Ohio State, LSU and Clemson win out meaning Alabama and Penn State are at 11-1 and Georgia at 11-2. 12-1 Oregon has a pretty good argument for getting in