Falcons Fan MVP

Can the Falcons be legit super bowl contenders in 2020?

88 posts in this topic

0% chance of being anywhere near the playoffs next year.  The time has come to gut & completely rebuild.  This is the 28-3 team.  They had their minds blown that day, and they will possibly never recover.  We could quite possibly be witnessing 1983-1990 v 2.0.  I just have a bad feeling about this, and I think it's going to take a long time to overcome it.  If we got a GM with an IQ higher than 28, it might be a little quicker, but I think Dimitroff has Blank too snowed, so...

BUBBASBEANS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible but unlikely.

Dimitroff and Quinn obviously need to go. If the new GM and HC work well together and have a solid plan on how to both maximize the skills of both the guys who are still going to be on this roster and the rookies they'll draft, it could happen.

None of us expected anything in 2008. Some pundits said the Falcons wouldn't win a game. They went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

It's possible.

 

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, athell said:

Right?

Baldy had a nice breakdown on their running game on NFL network this morning.  Shanahan is just so creative and his schemes and personnel pairings are just >>>

I miss him :( 

I saw a screenshot of their fullback running the ball with Staley perfectly lead blocking

athell and GhostofGritz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The 49ers were coming off a five year rebuild with plenty cap space and draft capital. We are only in the second year of our rebuild with no cap space, in the season yall are saying we could be contenders. OK. 

In the second year of a rebuild?

I don't know if I would call this season a rebuild.  Maybe a re-tooling of the offensive line.

Next season?  Oh yeah.  That's going to be a rebuild.  Roster purge.  New schemes on both sides of the ball. etc

I would say this season is more of a collapse than a rebuild.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It's really going to depend on the new coach and the the systems they run.

For example if we hire McCarthy and he wants to run a 3-4 defense then no.

New offense and new defense will take a couple of years to put in place.

Correct.  It all just depends on how much of the roster has to be blown up.

We already have some dead weight to jettison, so if we can replace the dead weight with system players, probably.  If the system fits the players we already have, it's that much easier.

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly they can. It starts with a HC and system that better utilizes the skills of our offensive players, especially our MVP QB. Second, they need to cut as much of the dead wood from the roster as possible and bring in a fresh attitude, especially on defense. 

We just  need that, and competent, not great, production from the defense. I have no doubt a well protected Matt and these skill players (hopefully with a new starting RB) can put up 30 a game again. We need a defense that can give up 20 or less. That's not a lot to ask. 

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

A new offense takes time to learn.

If McCarthy comes in its all new terminology and concepts and will probably take 2 seasons to get down.

So yes offensively there’s probably not going to be a ton of personnel changes but there will be a new offense.  That in itself will take a season or two to adjust to.

True, but like when Quinn came in and change the scheme, it took a while because he made a huge overhaul pretty much on every position

Jackson, Toilolo, Roddy, Blalock, Stone, and Asamoah,  were replaced with Freeman, Tamme, Sanu, Levitre, Mack, and Chester.

That was, I believe, was because he wanted to switch from the power game to the zone run scheme. (Im not sure if I said that correctly, but speed was more imminent than power in DQ) 

I just don't see how with so much money and so much talent on this offense, you would bring in someone to blow up the offense and get rid of as many people as Quinn did in his first 2 years.  Especially with Ryan and Julio on what is assumed to be their last contracts.

I could TOTALLY see someone coming in and blowing up this defense, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

True, but like when Quinn came in and change the scheme, it took a while because he made a huge overhaul pretty much on every position

Jackson, Toilolo, Roddy, Blalock, Stone, and Asamoah,  were replaced with Freeman, Tamme, Sanu, Levitre, Mack, and Chester.

That was, I believe, was because he wanted to switch from the power game to the zone run scheme. (Im not sure if I said that correctly, but speed was more imminent than power in DQ) 

I just don't see how with so much money and so much talent on this offense, you would bring in someone to blow up the offense and get rid of as many people as Quinn did in his first 2 years.  Especially with Ryan and Julio on what is assumed to be their last contracts.

I could TOTALLY see someone coming in and blowing up this defense, though.

Learning a new offense typically takes time.  New terminology and new concepts and you get better at football by playing football.

When the Giants changed their offense to a more west coast system Eli had to learn new concepts and terminology he also had to do other things related to his drop backs and foot work.

There's going to be a new offense and there are going to be bumps in the road.  Unfortunately the Falcons aren't going to have a defense to help them steady the ship while the offense figures it out. 

Now the offense could come out and be decent like 2008 or 2012 but the odds say this isn't so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sell The Team, Art said:

0% chance of being anywhere near the playoffs next year.  The time has come to gut & completely rebuild.  This is the 28-3 team.  They had their minds blown that day, and they will possibly never recover.  We could quite possibly be witnessing 1983-1990 v 2.0.  I just have a bad feeling about this, and I think it's going to take a long time to overcome it.  If we got a GM with an IQ higher than 28, it might be a little quicker, but I think Dimitroff has Blank too snowed, so...

This is the elephant in the room no one seems to wanna face.  I do not like it but fact is this may require a purging  of any and everyone associated w that atrocity.  

Sell The Team, Art likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Learning a new offense typically takes time.  New terminology and new concepts and you get better at football by playing football.

When the Giants changed their offense to a more west coast system Eli had to learn new concepts and terminology he also had to do other things related to his drop backs and foot work.

There's going to be a new offense and there are going to be bumps in the road.  Unfortunately the Falcons aren't going to have a defense to help them steady the ship while the offense figures it out. 

Now the offense could come out and be decent like 2008 or 2012 but the odds say this isn't so.

I agree, which is why as in years prior its taken Matt about into his second year to become his best and yet, this year he was reunited with Koetter and he has played pretty well so far minus the sacks and the first few games where he threw almost all his picks.  He is doing well this year and has been put into bad  positions being down so far.  

IMO if we keep the offense how it is with a few tweaks along the line and at RB, keeping Koetter could be a semi-blessing because it would create continuity and allow this offense to prevent having to start over.  Now if we happen to bring in a new coach whose offensive minded that would be moot.  But I am just speculating that with so many older veterans, and dead cap galore if we cut most of them loose, it would seem strange not to either keep this OC, or bring in someone who is going to use their strengths rather than trying to overhaul a new scheme like so many have done since Ryan has been here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now