Falcons Fan MVP

Can the Falcons be legit super bowl contenders in 2020?

88 posts in this topic

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The 49ers were coming off a five year rebuild with plenty cap space and draft capital. We are only in the second year of our rebuild with no cap space in the season yall are saying we could be contenders. OK. 

While true that they were already in their process, fact of the matter is they went from basement team (2018) to undefeated contender (2019).  We may not have their cap space, at least yet (I would suggest you go check out the cap space threads to show how we can very easily dump over $40m in cap and get rid of some underperforming players) but we may have the draft capital this coming offseason.

It may not work, but it's not out of the question.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The 49ers were coming off a five year rebuild with plenty cap space and draft capital. We are only in the second year of our rebuild with no cap space, in the season yall are saying we could be contenders. OK. 

Hope we don't need a 5 year rebuild, we need a SB during Ryan's career, right?

Otherwise we could be looking at another 10 - 20 year dry spell before the stars align again.

2 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Chase Young for sure. I'm all in, much earlier than usual. Don't mind drafting for need when the solution is so obvious.

But our secondary is going to require some serious brain surgery type sh*z to fix for TD, DQ or whomever inherits this Titanic...

Yea...it's not great I'm not gonna lie.  Oliver looks lost.  Tru looks slipping.  Sheff looks like he may be something.  I refuse to believe Kazee just dropped off a cliff like he has, at least just yet, Neal can't stay off IR.  Rico is our stable guy...and he while good, is nothing close to elite.

9 minutes ago, athell said:

While true that they were already in their process, fact of the matter is they went from basement team (2018) to undefeated contender (2019).  We may not have their cap space, at least yet (I would suggest you go check out the cap space threads to show how we can very easily dump over $40m in cap and get rid of some underperforming players) but we may have the draft capital this coming offseason.

It may not work, but it's not out of the question.

I would suggest you tell us how we add 20 players that will make us a contender, with only $40M in cap.

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It's really going to depend on the new coach and the the systems they run.

For example if we hire McCarthy and he wants to run a 3-4 defense then no.

New offense and new defense will take a couple of years to put in place.

I can agree defense because we could see new players at almost every position, with possibly Grady and, Tru and Allen being the only ones to stick (Neal either being injured enough not to play, or well enough to where we possibly ease him back in)

But the offense is pretty much where it's gonna be no matter who is here next year.

Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hooper, Matthews, Lindstrom, McGary, are pretty much set.  

RB could be up in the air because we could keep Freeman or cut him, Smith had promise but now has as many concussions as Freeman has but in less time.  We don't have a sample size of Ollison, and Hill looks to be a great complement piece.  We very well could draft a day 2 RB as well if we choose to cut Freeman loose.

Mack could be brought back but we could save money by letting him go, possibly move Lindstrom over to C or keep him there and draft his replacement.  

IMO our biggest issue on offense is going to be LG.

But I feel we don't have nearly as many holes or FAs next year pending on offense as we do defense, and that could determine whoever comes in and what scheme they run will determine who stays and who goes.  There is just too much money going around the offense and too much to lose to change the whole scheme in one year.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I would suggest you tell us how we add 20 players that will make us a contender, with only $40M in cap space.

I give you a lot of crap for things you say, but every offseason you come up with these lists of players you would sign to help fix this team, with cap numbers and contract numbers and honestly it's usually really really insightful and thought out.  You of all people should know it CAN be done.  The front office, gm, coaching (whoever all those people will be) really need to be on their games tho.

The big thing will be the draft.  Whoever comes in is going to have to hit on the draft ala the Saints of a few years back that catapulted them into perennial contenders.  

I'm not acting like it will be easy, it's not...but it's also not out of the question.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

From where we're at you may get to see your first 4-year drought.

You are wayyyy off my guy. Jacksonville was terrible with a terrible QB one year and the next nearly beating the Patriots in the AFCCG.

Coaches will be lined up the block to be able to get their hands on this offense. Yes, the defense needs to be totally reworked, but bigger makeovers have been done in far less time.

falconticket and athell like this

Just now, athell said:

I give you a lot of crap for things you say, but every offseason you come up with these lists of players you would sign to help fix this team, with cap numbers and contract numbers and honestly it's usually really really insightful and thought out.  You of all people should know it CAN be done.  The front office, gm, coaching (whoever all those people will be) really need to be on their games tho.

The big thing will be the draft.  Whoever comes in is going to have to hit on the draft ala the Saints of a few years back that catapulted them into perennial contenders.  

I'm not acting like it will be easy, it's not...but it's also not out of the question.

Thanks bro but even I would struggle with our 2020 situation. I think it's way worse than yall think. But if I get the GM job my first move would be to find a coach that can coach up some scrubs, scout players like a boss, set up beastly game plans and adjust to the opponent in each quarter. Not sure who that is yet but I'd interview PeytonManningsForehead and the other TATF coaches before going outside. Bwahahahaha.

athell likes this

No, they won't.

See, we need to keep tanking.

That way, we'll be the best team in the NFL every season because of our high draft picks LOL.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Thanks bro but even I would struggle with our 2020 situation. I think it's way worse than yall think. But if I get the GM job my first move would be to find a coach that can coach up some scrubs, scout players like a boss, set up beastly game plans and adjust to the opponent in each quarter. Not sure who that is yet but I'd interview PeytonManningsForehead and the other TATF coaches before going outside. Bwahahahaha.

I hear you, and man this defense looks rough.  It's bad bad.  Maybe it's the fan in me that is hopeful about a quick turnaround but I try to be realistic.  There is a lot of work to be done and there are question marks everywhere.  I have no clue how this offseason is going to unfold, just hope we finally get the right butts in the seats man.

And your GM plan gets my stamp of approval, lord knows we need all that...you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to find and yet here we are.

And I mean it, I crack on you but your offseason lists I respect a lot.  I know how much time and energy goes into it so just know I see you and your work.

federicofalcon2 likes this

5 minutes ago, RYNE said:

No. Not even close. We need a rebuild 

Saw your reply in the Kazee thread, and it's the reason there is potential for hope.  If you truly believe as you seem to (I firmly believe this) that our current coaching is hampering our current players, or at least some of them, by bringing in coaches that can actually coach there should be an increase in production and play, right?

It's just hard because we still have 8 weeks, plus playoffs probably, before we see what Blank's plan is with GM/Coaching, but I think we both agree that better coaching would net better results.  I think Dan Quinn has done more to hurt this team than help, especially of late.  And if the rumors are true about AB's displeasure with TD, we may be able to bring in a GM who can pull together a much more complete roster top to bottom.

Ifs and coulds...I understand there is a lot of grey area there..

1 hour ago, athell said:

I hear you, and man this defense looks rough.  It's bad bad.  Maybe it's the fan in me that is hopeful about a quick turnaround but I try to be realistic.  There is a lot of work to be done and there are question marks everywhere.  I have no clue how this offseason is going to unfold, just hope we finally get the right butts in the seats man.

And your GM plan gets my stamp of approval, lord knows we need all that...you wouldn't think it would be so difficult to find and yet here we are.

And I mean it, I crack on you but your offseason lists I respect a lot.  I know how much time and energy goes into it so just know I see you and your work.

Again thanks but I usually only put in a month of offseason YouTube and DraftSite prep every year. Only watch Georgia based college teams, so have limited NCAA insight. Hire me full time as the TATF GM for one year on a $200K prove it deal with access to tape, mocks, combines, interviews, workouts, background checks, etc. and I will get the ship turned in a hurry. I'm confident I could just assemble a team of TATF coaches, scouts, mocker fockers and capologists to accelerate the rebuild and provide enough stability to get us closer to rest. Give me access to the pros and yall will really be happy. Trust me.

athell likes this

1 hour ago, athell said:

Did anyone really think the 49ers were legit SB contenders before the season started?

It can happen that quickly, but the folks in the swanky offices in flowery branch need to do their jobs.

You realize it took Kyle 3 years to get that team to where he wanted it. It could take a new Falcons coach just as long if not longer to get the right players in place.

9 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

You realize it took Kyle 3 years to get that team to where he wanted it. It could take a new Falcons coach just as long if not longer to get the right players in place.

That 49ers roster that Lynch and Shanny inherited was much much worse off than whoever inherits this one though.

13 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Again thanks but I usually only put in a month of offseason YouTube and DraftSite prep every year. Only watch Georgia based college teams, so have limited NCAA insight. Hire me full time as the TATF GM for one year on a $200K prove it deal with access to tape, combines, interviews, workouts, background checks, etc. and I will get the ship turned in a hurry. I'm confident I could just assemble a team of TATF coaches, scouts, mocker fockers and capologists to accelerate the rebuild and provide enough stability to get us closer to rest. Give me access to the pros and yall will really be happy. Trust me.

Take the Green Bay model one step further?  lol I'm down, let's get it.  Couldn't be much worse than some of these decisions man...

Also, lmao at the $200k prove it deal.  I love it!  :lol:

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

If the coach is Kubiak or a Shanny discipline running the offense and has the team scoring 30+ points a game, as long as the defense isn't historically bad then the Falcons can win double-digit games. If the defense got Chase Young and some key young contributors and becomes a top 15 defense paired with a high-scoring offense then you become a legit Super Bowl contender.

1 hour ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I can agree defense because we could see new players at almost every position, with possibly Grady and, Tru and Allen being the only ones to stick (Neal either being injured enough not to play, or well enough to where we possibly ease him back in)

But the offense is pretty much where it's gonna be no matter who is here next year.

Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gage, Hooper, Matthews, Lindstrom, McGary, are pretty much set.  

RB could be up in the air because we could keep Freeman or cut him, Smith had promise but now has as many concussions as Freeman has but in less time.  We don't have a sample size of Ollison, and Hill looks to be a great complement piece.  We very well could draft a day 2 RB as well if we choose to cut Freeman loose.

Mack could be brought back but we could save money by letting him go, possibly move Lindstrom over to C or keep him there and draft his replacement.  

IMO our biggest issue on offense is going to be LG.

But I feel we don't have nearly as many holes or FAs next year pending on offense as we do defense, and that could determine whoever comes in and what scheme they run will determine who stays and who goes.  There is just too much money going around the offense and too much to lose to change the whole scheme in one year.

A new offense takes time to learn.

If McCarthy comes in its all new terminology and concepts and will probably take 2 seasons to get down.

So yes offensively there’s probably not going to be a ton of personnel changes but there will be a new offense.  That in itself will take a season or two to adjust to.

1 hour ago, stizz said:

You are wayyyy off my guy. Jacksonville was terrible with a terrible QB one year and the next nearly beating the Patriots in the AFCCG.

Coaches will be lined up the block to be able to get their hands on this offense. Yes, the defense needs to be totally reworked, but bigger makeovers have been done in far less time.

I just get negative vibes from this franchise, even if they had a slew of draft picks, they would probably do like the Browns and make the wrong pick or hire the wrong coach or both. Odell ain't working with Mayfield, Chubb's rushing well but that defense that has a load of picks is still is average at best 2-6 one more than the bitter Birds.

Think its obvious they need defense but they also need to get Ryan's Terrell Davis a ball control back that hides the defense is the only quick fix that my work. But they can't afford a free agent and doubt they draft an RB high anyway. Need Burner 2.0 or a close facsimile until they respect the run game Ryan will be under constant pressure. 

Yes we can, we're two impact draft picks on defense. If a player like Chase Young lives up to the hype and he falls to us... Imagine Takk and Chase screaming off the corners with Grady pushing the pocket. Just need to hit on another corner either in Free Agency or draft and we're as good as any other team...... Oh yeah and we need better play callers on both sides of the ball

10 hours ago, thamill said:

Yes.  If we hire the right people, draft the right players, pick up the right FAs, then yes.  Absolutely.  SF had a horrific season last year and are the only undefeated team in the NFL.

Shanny’s second season has been magic for his last two teams. 

thamill likes this