FalconsIn2012

Sell Me On Chase Young

180 posts in this topic

We're gonna have to trade up to get Young, count on it.

I'm ok with throwing two 1st at him like the Taint's did with Davenport. Young is a way better prospect than Davenport.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

1 minute ago, SpongeDad said:

We're gonna have to trade up to get Young, count on it.

I'm ok with throwing two 1st at him like the Taint's did with Davenport. Young is a way better prospect than Davenport.

Agreed. Even if we don't have the 1st overall pick. I'd actually be willing to trade up for him. Dude is a monster

MilleniumFalcon and SpongeDad like this

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't understand your counter-argument here.   

First, Chase Young isn't Clowney - he's naturally a little bigger/stronger but not as fast.  Both are 6'5"-ish but Chase is 265lbs now and Clowney is 255lbs and 5-6 years older.   Chase will likely play in the NFL closer to 270-275lbs over his career.

Second, he hasn't had any of the off-field baggage that Clowney had coming into the league.

Third, Clowney only has had double digit sacks once in his life above high school level - his sophmore year at South Carolina.  Clowney has averaged 7 sacks/season in the NFL.

Chase Young has 13.5 sacks already this year with 4 games left - he already this year has half-sack more than Clowney ever did in a season.

I don't get the comparison  and then the demand to defend selecting Chase Young based on Jadeveon Clowney's career.  The Atlanta Falcons HAVE YET to draft a TRUE DEFENSIVE END since Patrick Kerney in 1999.

I was essentially asking if the defense is a player away.

But Chase & Clowney are both 6’5.  Clowney is 10 pounds heavier.

If you compare Clowney & Young’s career you see the comparison is on point.  I’m only looking at Clowney the prospect, not what he is now.  That is my point in making the comparison.  For a #1 overall pick he has been a disappointment. Solid, but not worthy of #1 pick.  . And that is my concern with Young.

Clowney (35 Games): 129 Tackles, 47 TFL, 24 Sacks, 7 PD, 9 FF

Young (30 Games): 80 Tackles, 35 TFL, 27 Sacks, 6 PD & 7 FF’s

Very well rounded game for a college player. Hand usage is there. Football awareness is there. Passion for the game is there. Clowney isn't a good comp, as Clowney was a more linear player in my opinion. I think the Bosa Bros are the ideal comp. Similar body styles, similar play styles. Clowney wasn't as refined with his hand usage. Another comp I'd give is Myles Garrett. Young is a more refined version of him in my opinion. 

Young is just an animal man. He never lets up. He's rarely fooled on any given play, which speaks to his game prep and film study. He's always stringing moves together. He is physical in the run game. He's coming from both sides of the line and you can stand him up and rush him. He's a true, all around terror DL. 

We just need the first overall pick so we can trade back AND get Young. But more likely we will draft 6-8. TD will trade both second rounders to get someone in the late first again. Depth will not be added via the draft as always. 

I’ll continue to dream that Miami trades up to our #1 pick for a QB, outbidding the Bengals with their first second round pick. 

FalconsIn2012 likes this

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

If you compare Clowney & Young’s career you see the comparison is on point.  I’m only looking at Clowney the prospect, not what he is now.  That is my point in making the comparison.  For a #1 overall pick he has been a disappointment. Solid, but not worthy of #1 pick.  . And that is my concern with Young.

It's hard for any #1 overall to live up to the hype.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

He's a very different prospect to Clowney, no where near the same force in the run game but a far better, more refined pass rusher. 

I can't really think of a comparison to be honest, but he's very similar to the Bosa brothers in how refined his technique is, particularly when it comes to using his hands. I think he's a tad more athletic than the Bosa brothers as well. Whoever coaches pass rushers at Ohio State we should hire them for real.

15 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Matt Ryan + Chase Young >>>> Matt Ryan + New backup rookie QB

Certainly true for 2020.  But once we get out from under the 35 million Ryan CAP hit, we can build a SB roster for 2022 & 2023 (possibly 2021 as well).  Get a 1st & 2nd for Ryan and draft well.

It all assumes Burrow is a B+ QB and the new GM makes smart moves with the 35 mill in CAP.  

PS:  Matt Ryan is still my dude.  The whole Burrow idea is just because of the CAP situation.  

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Very well rounded game for a college player. Hand usage is there. Football awareness is there. Passion for the game is there. Clowney isn't a good comp, as Clowney was a more linear player in my opinion. I think the Bosa Bros are the ideal comp. Similar body styles, similar play styles. Clowney wasn't as refined with his hand usage. Another comp I'd give is Myles Garrett. Young is a more refined version of him in my opinion. 

Young is just an animal man. He never lets up. He's rarely fooled on any given play, which speaks to his game prep and film study. He's always stringing moves together. He is physical in the run game. He's coming from both sides of the line and you can stand him up and rush him. He's a true, all around terror DL. 

I probably should have read this first before posting my thoughts, almost word for word.

Cole World, FalconsIn2012 and vel like this

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You are wrong - Young is bigger than Clowney is right now.  You have it EXACTLY opposite.    Second, Young is getting better throughout his college career - 10.5 sacks his Sophmore year and 13.5 so far this year - look at Clowney the prospect - he peeked his Sophmore year and then had all that foolishness and decreased production his walk year.    They are DIFFERENT players.  You are comparing apples and oranges.

Further,  you do remember Clowney had micro-fracture surgery on his knee, right?

I mean - YOU are the one assigning the comp off Chase Young to Jadeveon Clowney when they aren't even the same type players - the whole point of a comparison is to pick a similar player - which you are not doing.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You are wrong - Young is bigger than Clowney is right now.  You have it EXACTLY opposite.    Second, Young is getting better throughout his college career - 10.5 sacks his Sophmore year and 13.5 so far this year - look at Clowney the prospect - he peeked his Sophmore year and then had all that foolishness and decreased production his walk year.    They are DIFFERENT players.  You are comparing apples and oranges.

Further,  you do remember Clowney had micro-fracture surgery on his knee, right?

I mean - YOU are the one assigning the comp off Chase Young to Jadeveon Clowney when they aren't even the same type players - the whole point of a comparison is to pick a similar player - which you are not doing.

Jadeveon Clowney (DL04)

HT: 6'5" WT: 266LBS.

POSITION: DE

SCHOOL: South Carolina

ARM LENGTH: 34 1/2"

HANDS: 10"

I am not an NFL analyst.  Just giving my opinion .  Maybe it’s a bad one.  

vel likes this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

First things first, dude is an absolute beast.  He is the most dominant defensive player since Clowney.  In fact, Clowney is my comp for Young.  Which begs the following question:

If the Falcons pick 3rd and Young is still available, do we select him? Would you be satisfied with Clowney-type production at #3?  

The other options are to draft the top DB available, draft Burrow (a pick made looking a year ahead) or trade the pick for a treasure trove of draft capital to a QB needy team.  

So sell me on Young.  Drafting him will mean we’ve invested six first round picks in six years on our OL/DL.  Both are still trash

I really like this guy l. A few weeks back I turn on his game not really knowing who he was and what number he wear! (Other then the name from posters here) I turn on the game and say it will be fun to see if I can find him and if he will jump out and make me know who he was. I believe it was in the 3rd and first play I see is this man get a sack!! And it was the 3rd one of the day! So I was like wow.. 

The other thing i seen is heart! Wasnt Clowney last year just a walk in the park he didnt really try? From what I see from this Young guy isn't that. 

Now I seen another poster say sign Clowney next year and get young !! Your line becomes very good!

Lastly the ideal scenario would we have the #1 over all pick... the 2 teams behind us want our pick and trade up to grab their QB. We get Young and more picks to keep building this team! If not I'm ok for trading up to get this guy! I want pressure! Lol

Edited by AllStarHandyMan

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

Jadeveon Clowney (DL04)

HT: 6'5" WT: 266LBS.

POSITION: DE

SCHOOL: South Carolina

ARM LENGTH: 34 1/2"

HANDS: 10"

I can show you 5 places that have him at 255lbs.

4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I probably should have read this first before posting my thoughts, almost word for word.

Haha we said the same thing a few seconds apart. 

Smiler11 and FalconsIn2012 like this

7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I am not an NFL analyst.  Just giving my opinion .  Maybe it’s a bad one.  

yeah, no offense but it is a bad one.    You are going out of the way to find a comparison - look no further than Nick Bosa who Chase played alongside last year for your comparison.   almost exactly the same size - playing in same system - coached by the same coach, etc, etc.  Both a force in passrush and can set edge and make tackles against the run  -   Clowney is more of a freakish LineBacker with size for the LB position that can play DE.

Chase Young is a TRUE 4-3 Defensive End much like Nick Bosa.  BTW, it is OK to compare black guys to white guys in NFL prospects - although it is rarely done - LOL.

29 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Agreed. Even if we don't have the 1st overall pick. I'd actually be willing to trade up for him. Dude is a monster

You would offer our 2nd to move up & grab him?  Wow.  Unless it’s for a QB I am not doing it. 

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, no offense but it is a bad one.    You are going out of the way to find a comparison - look no further than Nick Bosa who Chase played alongside last year for your comparison.   almost exactly the same size - playing in same system - coached by the same coach, etc, etc.  Both a force in passrush and can set edge and make tackles against the run  -   Clowney is more of a freakish LineBacker with size for the LB position that can play DE.

Chase Young is a TRUE 4-3 Defensive End much like Nick Bosa.  BTW, it is OK to compare black guys to white guys in NFL prospects - although it is rarely done - LOL.

LOL... Bosa the prospect never played. I’m not using what they did as NFL players. Just as prospects

let’s say we drafted Bosa last year. Do you think he has 7 sacks like he does with SF? I honestly don’t 

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I can show you 5 places that have him at 255lbs.

He was 266lbs at the combine. He might have played lighter than that in college but that's the only official measurement you can go off.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

The D-line coach at Ohio State also coached Joey & Nick Bosa and he says Chase Young is better than both of them bar none. The Ohio State head coach says he's been around a lot of talented NFL freaks at DE and he says Chase Young as a junior in college is better than those players while they were in the NFL. He's a better version of Jevon Kearse, a super freak at DE (like Julio is at WR). If the Falcons draft him, they will have an annual double-digit sack guy for the next 10 years.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
g-dawg, vitaman, FalconJim and 2 others like this

53 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

The funny thing with defenses is that they have to be cultivated.  It’s not offense where you can slap a quarterback on a team and see a direct difference in wins and losses.  

Take Chicago for example.  They had a solid defense, but once they got Kahlil Mack they turned into an elite defense.  They already had solid pieces in play before Mack.  Together as a unit they have definitely accounted for their share of wins for that team.

A guy like Chase Young is a much needed piece of the defensive puzzle.  It doesn’t take too much to see that he will be a game changer and somebody you can build a defense with.  The more game changers we have on defense the better.  Pair Grady with a guy like Chase and you’ve drastically improved your defensive front.

"Pair Grady with a guy like Chase, and you've drastically improved your defensive front" ---- when I read that, I got chills!!!  I sure do hope we get to see that! 

Edited by FalconJim
Falconsfan567 likes this

3 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

He was 266lbs at the combine. He might have played lighter than that in college but that's the only official measurement you can go off.

I just know what they weigh now and how they play - different cats altogether.