FalconsIn2012

Sell Me On Chase Young

180 posts in this topic

First things first, dude is an absolute beast.  He is the most dominant defensive player since Clowney.  In fact, Clowney is my comp for Young.  Which begs the following question:

If the Falcons pick 3rd and Young is still available, do we select him? Would you be satisfied with Clowney-type production at #3?  

The other options are to draft the top DB available, draft Burrow (a pick made looking a year ahead) or trade the pick for a treasure trove of draft capital to a QB needy team.  

So sell me on Young.  Drafting him will mean we’ve invested six first round picks in six years on our OL/DL.  Both are still trash

Honestly, if the objective was to run an odd man front on defense, we should’ve drafted Dexter Lawrence. Dude is the highest graded rookie.   We could’ve kept her third round pick in the process.

@Vandy @Knight of God @MSalmon @Ovie_Lover @athell

These guys all screamed for Dex...looks like they were right

Young is a fine prospect but the group as a whole has to do its jobs for Young to prosper.Just like Jarrett this year he’s getting doubled like crazy you imagine if he had consistent edge rushers getting there and the protection wasn’t so heavy inside.

Much like Young If the pressure is coming from inside consistently you’ll see Young’s traits come to the fore.

Individually he’ll have splash plays and while this all well and good for the fans ideally we want edge rushers that can finish games.We haven’t had that since John Abraham was here.

PS someone anyone please find me a dline coach that actually can get results out of what talent we gather.

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Young is a fine prospect but the group as a whole has to do its jobs for Young to prosper.Just like Jarrett this year he’s getting doubled like crazy you imagine if he had consistent edge rushers getting there and the protection wasn’t so heavy inside.

Much like Young If the pressure is coming from inside consistently you’ll see Young’s traits come to the fore.

Individually he’ll have splash plays and while this all well and good for the fans ideally we want edge rushers that can finish games.We haven’t had that since John Abraham was here.

PS someone anyone please find me a dline coach that actually can get results out of what talent we gather.

That’s how I see it as well.  We are not a player away on defense.  We are a mindset away

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

That’s how I see it as well.  We are not a player away on defense.  We are a mindset away

100 % and it’s why I want a DC who builds from the front back.

Aggressive front 4 is what I’m looking for.

Next minute 34 here we come lol.

NeonDeion and Cole World like this

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

We haven't had a top edge rusher since we lost the predator Abraham.

Its only fitting the predator returns and fixes that problem.

DnEY9HLUcAEqH4U.jpg

Good point.  I think Chase will be very good, but I am more concerned with our secondary than our DL.  We have talent if they are coached properly.  But our secondary is butt cheeks next year:

Trufant gone

Neal likely gone

Rico possible CAP casualty

Kazee lost

Oliver or Sheffield our #1 boundary

Scary thoughts

Refried Beans likes this

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

100 % and it’s why I want a DC who builds from the front back.

Aggressive front 4 is what I’m looking for.

Next minute 34 here we come lol.

I argue back to front is the better way. A roaming centerfielder and a smashing SS makes a front look better. Neal’s injury hurt (2 years in a row) and the “eraser” (purple) isn’t Earl THOMAS.

20 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

First things first, dude is an absolute beast.  He is the most dominant defensive player since Clowney.  In fact, Clowney is my comp for Young.  Which begs the following question:

If the Falcons pick 3rd and Young is still available, do we select him? Would you be satisfied with Clowney-type production at #3?  

The other options are to draft the top DB available, draft Burrow (a pick made looking a year ahead) or trade the pick for a treasure trove of draft capital to a QB needy team.  

So sell me on Young.  Drafting him will mean we’ve invested six first round picks in six years on our OL/DL.  Both are still trash

i love young in terms of you don’t pass on a stud Edge who has measurables and production to match your need. Clowney has turned out a borderline all pro player. Not bad for any pick. 
Burrow isn’t option. Trade down is if you know the players you want, but you do risk missing on a playmaker, Delpit is an obvious playmaker as well 

No selling. We’ve sunk costs

FalconsIn2012 and GeorgiaBoyz like this

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Honestly, if the objective was to run an odd man front on defense, we should’ve drafted Dexter Lawrence. Dude is the highest graded rookie.   We could’ve kept her third round pick in the process.

@Vandy @Knight of God @MSalmon @Ovie_Lover @athell

These guys all screamed for Dex...looks like they were right

************** don't forget me

FalconsIn2012, Vandy and VTCrunkler like this

6 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

If you need to be sold you have no eyeballs 

I would ask this, how much better are we this year with Clowney on the Roster? Are we a 1 win team or a 2 win team?

The Falcons (at this current state) are not contending next year, there is no way to improve this defense with the Cap space we have in 1 year. Young makes sense this year as 1) he is probably the most talented player the college, and 2) we draft help/sign help for him next year. Hopefully within 2 years this team is humming again.

All I ever posted was that I wanted Dexter Lawrence and people said he wouldnt translate to the NFL becuase he couldn't rush the passer and NT are a dying breed. All of which was lies and there were numbers that showed he was only behind Ed Oliver in pass rushing pressures.

Alas, we dont make the decisions, TD and jabronies do.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

45 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I would ask this, how much better are we this year with Clowney on the Roster? Are we a 1 win team or a 2 win team?

The funny thing with defenses is that they have to be cultivated.  It’s not offense where you can slap a quarterback on a team and see a direct difference in wins and losses.  

Take Chicago for example.  They had a solid defense, but once they got Kahlil Mack they turned into an elite defense.  They already had solid pieces in play before Mack.  Together as a unit they have definitely accounted for their share of wins for that team.

A guy like Chase Young is a much needed piece of the defensive puzzle.  It doesn’t take too much to see that he will be a game changer and somebody you can build a defense with.  The more game changers we have on defense the better.  Pair Grady with a guy like Chase and you’ve drastically improved your defensive front.

41 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I don't understand your counter-argument here.   

First, Chase Young isn't Clowney - he's naturally a little bigger/stronger but not as fast.  Both are 6'5"-ish but Chase is 265lbs now and Clowney is 255lbs and 5-6 years older.   Chase will likely play in the NFL closer to 270-275lbs over his career.

Second, he hasn't had any of the off-field baggage that Clowney had coming into the league.

Third, Clowney only has had double digit sacks once in his life above high school level - his sophmore year at South Carolina.  Clowney has averaged 7 sacks/season in the NFL.

Chase Young has 13.5 sacks already this year with 4 games left - he already this year has half-sack more than Clowney ever did in a season.

I don't get the comparison  and then the demand to defend selecting Chase Young based on Jadeveon Clowney's career.  The Atlanta Falcons HAVE YET to draft a TRUE DEFENSIVE END since Patrick Kerney in 1999.

38 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

The Falcons (at this current state) are not contending next year, there is no way to improve this defense with the Cap space we have in 1 year. Young makes sense this year as 1) he is probably the most talented player the college, and 2) we draft help/sign help for him next year. Hopefully within 2 years this team is humming again.

The only point I would make is every year is different. We could very will be contenders next year largely with the same group.  You just never know

I personally don't think the Falcons will get Young. Because of that I'm more interested in Derrick Brown and Grant Delpit. I think the Falcons will have a pick where these one of these 2 will be the pick

FalconsIn2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

The funny thing with defenses is that they have to be cultivated.  It’s not offense where you can slap a quarterback on a team and see a direct difference in wins and losses.  

Take Chicago for example.  They had a solid defense, but once they got Kahlil Mack they turned into an elite defense.  They already had solid pieces in play before Mack.  Together as a unit they have definitely accounted for their share of wins for that team.

A guy like Chase Young is a much needed piece of the defensive puzzle.  It doesn’t take too much to see that he will be a game changer and somebody you can build a defense with.  The more game changers we have on defense the better.  Pair Grady with a guy like Chase and you’ve drastically improved your defensive front.

Completely agree.  While we could use an effective edge, there is talent on the defense.  What it lacks is the proper mindset