Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Refried Beans

Favorite Falcons Team

47 posts in this topic

Since this year is basically toast, what years Falcons team would you say is your favorite? I would have to say the 1980 Falcons that lost to Cowboys in the play-offs. Bartkowski, Jr. Miller, Lynn Cain, William Andrews, Alfred Jenkins and Jackson, and Buddy Curry, Tom Pridemore. just a all around fun year to be a Falcons fan until the end. The 1998 year was second favorite. Remember when Blank opened the first Home Deport off Memorial Drive off out of a old Treasure Island building. Showing my age. 

E. T. likes this

It may be recency bias, but our 2016 team was one of the most fun teams to watch that I can remember.  Our offense was innovative and exciting and while our defense wasn't great, watching the rookies put it together down the stretch and into the playoffs was just so fun to watch.  Coupled with that NFCCG being the last game in the Dome...

It was the most confidence I have had in a team as an Atlanta Falcon fan.  Shame they couldn't seal the deal.

Oh yeah 1991 was a fun year 2 Legit 2 Quit, old Glanville and June Jones with Evander Hollyfield on the sidelines. Ha, that was a great year. I remember you could go to Fulton County Stadium and just walk down to field level. Samuel Jackson started out as a beer vendor working at Fulton County Stadium, back when the beer vendors could smoke inside the stadium. Better times indeed. 

The Daywalker likes this

2016. Offense was nearly unstoppable and had tons of talent. Defense had so many fun young players that appeared to be on a great path in the 2nd half of the season and playoffs. (Keanu, Allen, Collins, Deion, Campbell, Grady, Vic)

Unfortunately most of those players have fallen off a cliff other than Deion and Grady.

The way that season ended changed everything.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
athell likes this

Athell, I remember in 2016 when Falcons were clicking, a buddy of mine and I were talking and we were watching our offense just fly down the field and we kept saying we were just ****** with people, that our offense was so good they knew what was going to happen before they even snapped the ball. But Belichick figured something out at half-time because our offense just stonewalled in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. He did same thing with Rams, Belichick makes an adjustment and if you cant adjust back he will lay you out.  

athell likes this

Just now, Refried Beans said:

Athell, I remember in 2016 when Falcons were clicking, a buddy of mine and I were talking and we were watching our offense just fly down the field and we kept saying we were just ****** with people, that our offense was so good they knew what was going to happen before they even snapped the ball. But Belichick figured something out at half-time because our offense just stonewalled in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. He did same thing with Rams, Belichick makes an adjustment and if you cant adjust back he will lay you out.  

Our offense moved the ball fine in the 2nd half problem is we kept shooting ourselves in a foot after we scored a TD to make it 28-3. Should have had 2 other FGs if not for holding calls.

The Fumble was a blown blocking assignment and probably is a TD if Ryan has time to go deep to Aldrick. Even Julio crossing underneath was wide open.

1 minute ago, Refried Beans said:

I kid you not when I say I had the MOST confidence in that team than I have ever had as a fan.  I told my friends Atlanta would take care of GB by double digits.  Told them they would take care of Pats by double digits.  It was all going so so well...sigh...

Shanny just got too cute.  That coupled with the litany of just random **** that went against us in that game and we were just doomed.  Hard to separate the 4th quarter of that game with the rest of the season and playoffs but when I do, it just makes me so dang happy.  That Julio 75 td to come out of the half vs GB, that Alford pick 6 against Brady, both are like top 5 highlights for me as a fan all time.

Refried Beans and Peteshweddy like this

I loved the 1980 team! Very comparable to the 2016 team. Both were basically the best team in the league those seasons and blew it in the end in typical Falcon fashion!

I also would like to mention the 1977 team which to me fielded the best defense in all of football to this day!

1980 was the team I really felt was the best overall/most well rounded and probably my favorite of all time.

2016 was the most purely exciting as a viewer.

1998 will always be special because I never EVER thought we would make it to a SB

athell, kschreck, E. T. and 2 others like this

I aint going to lie in 1980 I cried when Cowboys beat us, I still hate the Cowboys with a passion because of that game. In 2017 when Falcons lost the Superbowl I couldnt even go to work the next day I felt like someone had died. Lowest of the lows. I was ready for the ticker tape parade. 

4 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I loved the 1980 team! Very comparable to the 2016 team. Both were basically the best team in the league those seasons and blew it in the end in typical Falcon fashion!

I also would like to mention the 1985 team which to me fielded the best defense in all of football to this day!

I think you mean the 1977 team.

E. T. likes this

I aint going to lie in 1980 I cried when Cowboys beat us, I still hate the Cowboys with a passion because of that game. In 2017 when Falcons lost the Superbowl I couldnt even go to work the next day I felt like someone had died. Lowest of the lows. I was ready for the ticker tape parade. 

Too Tall Jones was offsides. The refs blew it and cost the Falcons the game.

TheUsualStuff likes this

1 minute ago, E. T. said:

You are correct! Thanks brother.....my mind is getting old!

No problem man. And that 77 defense man...talk about grown man football. Sometimes 9 guys on the LOS and Glanville would sometimes send all 9 of them at the QB! lol It's criminal that the Grits Blitz is largely ignored by the pundits when discussing great defenses. 129 points in a single season is a record even your great grandchildren will never see broken!

Refried Beans and E. T. like this

I don’t remember the year, but the Smitty Team that went to the nfccg was my favorite team.

turner, Ryan, tony, roddy, Abe,

should have been a special year. We would have torched the ravens. Only running quarterbacks gave us problems that year.

I remember the offense hung a 50 burger on Tampa on a Thursday night game that year. And we let up in the 4th.

We should just gritz blitz all day against the Saints on Sunday and pound Brees into the turf. 

Lol...nobody except maybe Grady would be the only one getting in the backfield. It'd be laughable!

Refried Beans likes this

The 2016 team is far and away the best Falcons team ever. That team was a monster.

My favorite season is probably 2002 or even 2008. When expectations are really low, its always fun when the team overachieves. 

Falcons_Frenzy likes this

23 minutes ago, Refried Beans said:

We should just gritz blitz all day against the Saints on Sunday and pound Brees into the turf. 

Been saying this for a while. We don't cover worth a ****. May as well turn our DL and LB's into missiles aimed at the QB and see if he can put the ball on the money while getting blasted.

Refried Beans likes this

2016 and 2008.

08 because I loved the way when we got inside the 10 it was an automatic 7 with the Burner.Watching JA55 finish games with sacks was also a highlight for me.

16 seeing our offense light up the league seeing how fast our young defense played and gained momentum through the year was good to see.Hearing how Aaron Rodgers was going to burn us like he did Dallas and our defense kept him quiet.Loved it.

Refried Beans likes this

1 hour ago, LouDog said:

Althogh the team wasnt anything too special I probably had the most fun watching the 91 Falcons. I was just at the age that I started keeping up with football and had a blast watching the games that first year.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Probably 1991 for me. First winning season after a decade of losing. Won the California Trophy. Beat the Aints in a road playoff game. Plenty exciting stars on both sides of the ball. Too legit to quit. 

I love the way Deion Sanders and Tim McKyer would lateral the ball back and forth to each other after making an interception.

Refried Beans likes this

39 minutes ago, Bridgeburner said:

I don’t remember the year, but the Smitty Team that went to the nfccg was my favorite team.

turner, Ryan, tony, roddy, Abe,

should have been a special year. We would have torched the ravens. Only running quarterbacks gave us problems that year.

I remember the offense hung a 50 burger on Tampa on a Thursday night game that year. And we let up in the 4th.

I disagree about us torching the Ravens. I think Ray Lewis was destined to go out on top just like Peyton Manning