Mike Vick talks Jim Mora Jr., Dan Reeves, Lamar Jackson.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He invoked the word “innovative” when talking about Dan Reeves’s offense and I agree. Every week it seemed like Dan was adding more wrinkles to take advantage of his skill set.  Designed QB sweep

I've posted this several times.  Reeves was a TEACHER.  He had a STRONG personality but Reeves knew what he was doing.  He clashed with Elway because Elway wanted a coach like Mora, somebody who would

I never got the criticism of Reeves as this old school, smashmouth coach. His offense was certainly innovative. And he wasn’t stuck with a system. He tried to hire Gruden as OC but the Raiders snapped

He invoked the word “innovative” when talking about Dan Reeves’s offense and I agree. Every week it seemed like Dan was adding more wrinkles to take advantage of his skill set. 

Designed QB sweeps, veer type stuff then passing game was really vertical stretch the field stuff. Made it simple for him. It was old school and new school at the same time.

Good times his first year as a starter.

20 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He invoked the word “innovative” when talking about Dan Reeves’s offense and I agree. Every week it seemed like Dan was adding more wrinkles to take advantage of his skill set. 

Designed QB sweeps, veer type stuff then passing game was really vertical stretch the field stuff. Made it simple for him. It was old school and new school at the same time.

I don't remember what game it was but I still remember under Reeves a QB sweep to the left for pretty good yardage that Vick scored on. There may have been more than one. 

50 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Not much on Mora and Reeves.  I think he short-sells Mora.  Basically, Mora was trying to get him to be what Andy Reid finally got him to be.

I will never forget when Vick was going through some criticism in the press and Vick and Mora and the other Falcons in the tunnel and Mora kisses him on the helmet right before they come out. Embarrassing. Mora totally lost me then. 

42 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I've posted this several times.  Reeves was a TEACHER.  He had a STRONG personality but Reeves knew what he was doing.  He clashed with Elway because Elway wanted a coach like Mora, somebody who would let him just go out there and sling it everywhere.  Reeves wasn't like that.  He knew that if you ran the ball it opened up the passing game for big plays.  Biggest mistake Blank did was trying to put his imprint on the Falcons as a new owner by getting rid of Reeves.  Reeves and Vick would've won a Superbowl.  I still say Reeves was the best coach the Falcons have had...

Image result for dan reeves and michael vick

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep.  Went and looked it up.  That Baltimore game reminded of Dan Reeves and what he was doing with the Falcons in another way,  TIME OF POSSESSION.   That 1998 team went to the Superbowl because of TIME OF POSSESSION.  Last night,  Baltimore controlled the game and attacked New England's defense with the running game.  Same thing Reeves did with the Falcons.  The Falcons lead the league with a time of 33:10 on offense in 1998.  Reeves biggest plays in the passing game with Chandler and Vick came off play action because teams had to stack the box because of Bob Christian and Anderson and later Christian and Maurice Smith.  Reeves built his teams the CORRECT WAY, just like Baltimore. INSIDE OUT.  You got beat up when you played against Reeves teams...

Image result for bob christian atlanta falcons

Image result for bob christian atlanta falcons

Edited by Spts1
1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I never got the criticism of Reeves as this old school, smashmouth coach. His offense was certainly innovative. And he wasn’t stuck with a system. He tried to hire Gruden as OC but the Raiders snapped him up as HC. 

15 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I never got the criticism of Reeves as this old school, smashmouth coach. His offense was certainly innovative. And he wasn’t stuck with a system. He tried to hire Gruden as OC but the Raiders snapped him up as HC. 

The only thing that Reeves sucked at was being a gm. I wish blank would have gotten him a good gm because whenever he had enough semblance of talent in the roster, his team's usually overachieved. Rich McKay wasn't the answer. 

1 hour ago, fuego said:

I don't remember what game it was but I still remember under Reeves a QB sweep to the left for pretty good yardage that Vick scored on. There may have been more than one. 

Might be the Vikings game you're thinking about when he ran for like 170-something.  There was of course more, but that's the game that sticks out in my mind most vividly.  I remember in New Orleans Reeves called a QB draw from like the 20 yard line and Vick scored on it.

Man, that was a fun offense to watch.  Dan had a little bit of everything in the package.  Excellent play-caller

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

I've posted this several times.  Reeves was a TEACHER.  He had a STRONG personality but Reeves knew what he was doing.  He clashed with Elway because Elway wanted a coach like Mora, somebody who would let him just go out there and sling it everywhere.  Reeves wasn't like that.  He knew that if you ran the ball it opened up the passing game for big plays.  Biggest mistake Blank did was trying to put his imprint on the Falcons as a new owner by getting rid of Reeves.  Reeves and Vick would've won a Superbowl.  I still say Reeves was the best coach the Falcons have had...

Yep.  I always wondered if privately, that's one Arthur wanted back.  I don't wanna crap on Mora, but he always treated Vick like a fan and deferred to him way too much, whereas you could tell Vick respected Reeves.

2 minutes ago, SirCzah said:

The DVD offense kept defenses stacked in the box.  Mora (or Vick?) would never capitalize.  I still believe Reeves would have eventually gotten more out of Vick by making him a QB 1st and a RB 2nd.  Mora fully embraced running Vick into the ground.

He tried to get him to work from the pocket though -- that's the only thing here I disagree with.  By 2006 Vick was starting to throw to space and doing the things the WCO requires.  His big problem was his drops.  He always dropped to a different spot, so the o-line had no idea where he'd be to protect him, and then he made it worse by taking off randomly, often right into the rush.

But yeah, the first year or so, they were working in all that read option stuff to encourage him to run.  I think they were doing that in part to reign him in.  "We'll get you the carries, but from the pocket, please do what we say."  He was starting to get it.  Then we fired Mora and he got indicted and the rest is history.

If you look at his tape in Philly, that's what Mora was trying to get him to do.  And it worked.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I don't wanna crap on Mora, but he always treated Vick like a fan and deferred to him way too much, whereas you could tell Vick respected Reeves.

Some guys you can do that.  We have had 2 disastrous QBs in Atlanta where you couldn't -- Brett Favre and Mike Vick.

I think all QBs respond to hard coaching.  But those 2 guys needed it in the worst way.

Jeff George did too, but he was too stupid to respond to it, so.......

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Some guys you can do that.  We have had 2 disastrous QBs in Atlanta where you couldn't -- Brett Favre and Mike Vick.

I think all QBs respond to hard coaching.  But those 2 guys needed it in the worst way.

Jeff George did too, but he was too stupid to respond to it, so.......

Just thinking preternaturally gifted those guys were and how both of 'em played their best football somewhere else.  Talk about a tease.:angry:

Reeves playbook was actually very complicated, Reeves had to cut it in half for Vick first year, but as post above said Reeves was a teacher and knew what he was doing. If Blank had given Reeves time Falcons organization would have had a Super Bowl trophy or two by now. Instead we are starting all over again for the 4th time in 20 years. 

52 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I remember the criticism. I remember wanting Wade Phillips to take his place and the SAME thing was said about Wade.  People laughed at that but Wade has proven to still be one of the top coaches in the league. Football will be running the ball and defense.  That never changes.  Reeves and Wade coach that way...

I love Vick but hes dumb like a bag of bricks,

The WC offense is perfect for a QB like Vick, and especially the Shanny WC offense. It's all about bootlegs, keepers, and throwing in the run, as well as QB run fakes, and going vertical off run PA. It's sad hes out of the NFL and still doesnt understand offenses very well. He was right about Mora trying to get the most out of him though. 

1 hour ago, ShadyRef said:

The only thing that Reeves sucked at was being a gm. I wish blank would have gotten him a good gm because whenever he had enough semblance of talent in the roster, his team's usually overachieved. Rich McKay wasn't the answer. 

EXACTLY!  I thought it was a huge mistake shortly into his GM tenure...his draft picks and FA signings were questionable/ridiculous many times. 

It just sucks because Reeves loved Vick.  Reeves kept the offense evolving because of Vick.  Reeves was a GREAT coach, just not the best talent evaluator.  If Reeves had bee the coach of that DVD team, man....