Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schwarzwald

Re-tread to the SB?

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ratesforless said:

If Kubes was up to it health wise, I'd go for him over McCarthy. I have a feeling that AB isn't going to be all that willing to roll with yet another rookie head coach after the last four he's hired hasn't brought home a title...

I’d only go for that if an understudy came in at OC that could take over permanently once Kubiak retired for good; if he chose to become a HC again.

I’d also be in favor of another OC being hired to be HC and Kubiak coming onboard just to focus on the offense as OC...if he was not into a HC gig anymore. He isn’t OC in Minnesota as it is so OC offer from Atlanta wouldn’t be lateral. :shrug:

ratesforless likes this

Im already on record that I believe he has to be on the short list. Blank knows Ryan has one more shot, and that means we aren’t hiring a first time coach, IMO. He will very likely be looking for a SB winning coach with a sound offensive mind, and a long track record of success. 

That list is very short. 

8 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Im already on record that I believe he has to be on the short list. Blank knows Ryan has one more shot, and that means we aren’t hiring a first time coach, IMO. He will very likely be looking for a SB winning coach with a sound offensive mind, and a long track record of success. 

That list is very short. 

If Kubiak is available, I’d go for him first. Need to get a run game back. All our linemen except Carpenter can play ZBS.

thanat0s likes this

9 minutes ago, ZoneOne01 said:

He’s probably looking at the Falcons job and licking his chops. 

Any respectable WCO oriented guy that has won before would probably consider Atlanta a quick SB ticket if they trusted their putting together a staff...of course, some may want a GM they like? :ninja:

ZoneOne01 and ratesforless like this

54 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If Kubiak is available, I’d go for him first. Need to get a run game back. All our linemen except Carpenter can play ZBS.

True. When I said short list, I was being generous. It’s basically McCarthy and him, lol. Ether would be fine with me.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

17 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Part of me doesn’t want RBBC and try to land Swift if he is there with our first 2nd round pick :ninja: after defense round 1 and with the NE pick after of course!!

@Knight of God‘s idea ;)

I wouldn't mind trading up to go get him. He will probably go somewhere in the late first. We can use him as the passing down back and Q as the tough yards guy. That's how the saints and other teams use their backs to prolong their career.

Aaron Rodgers in a recent interview says the Packer locker room had grown stale with no energy and it was refreshing to have energy back in the building and learning a new system. McCarthy would be a hard PASS. We already have a retread in Koetter we dont need one as Head Coach. We need someone that can scheme in the new NFL not 2006. As Shannahan has shown the new NFL works the field not only vertically but side to side by using misdirection and roll-outs. You need a mobile QB who is smart. Look at success Lamar Jackson and others are having. McCarthy is another dinosaur. Our current OC and scheme is predictable and doesnt work. McCarthy would be more of the same.  

Edited by Refried Beans

I don't like McCarthy but the evidence is very strong the right re-tread coaches can be successful. 

Super Bowl winners: 

• Bill Belichick: Fired by Cleveland
  • Gary Kubiak: Fired by Houston
  • Pete Carroll: Fired by the Jets
  • Tom Coughling: Fired by Jacksonville
  • Tony Dungy: Fired by Tampa Bay

Super Bowl contenders: 

• John Fox: Fired by Carolina
  • Andy Reid: Fired by Philadelphia

I prefer Jay Gruden among 2020 re-tread options. 

Schwarzwald likes this

22 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Part of me doesn’t want RBBC and try to land Swift if he is there with our first 2nd round pick :ninja: after defense round 1 and with the NE pick after of course!!

@Knight of God‘s idea ;)

As long as it's with the NE pick I wouldn't mind as it's basically a third. Ito and Swift would be awesome, actually. Our first two picks need to go to defense, though. DL and LB, no questions.

31 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

As long as it's with the NE pick I wouldn't mind as it's basically a third. Ito and Swift would be awesome, actually. Our first two picks need to go to defense, though. DL and LB, no questions.

Well, Swift is possibly gonna go in round 1 even perhaps to a SB contender from this year lacking a RB for 2020.

Also, please consider we fans always get stuck in a mentality like this based on order of needs entering a draft?

I say you gotta consider BPA at all upgradable positions; unless +/- same player level.

Ridley > Bryan in 2018 for example on big board and BPA vs “need”...

I think DL/S upgrade/LB through 4 rounds; one being Offense if the right BPA > need arises.

A possibly dominant run game and major RB upgrade would help the Defense.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
ChickenBiscuit likes this

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Well, Swift is possibly gonna go in round 1 even possible to a SB contender from this year lacking a RB for 2020.

Also, please consider we fans always get stuck in a mentality like this based on order of needs entering a draft?

I say you gotta to BPA at all upgradable positions; unless +/- same player level.

Ridley > Bryan in 2018 for example on big board and BPA vs “need”...

I think DL/S upgrade/LB through 4 rounds; one being Offense if the right BPA > need arises.

A possibly dominant run game and major RB upgrade would help the Defense.

It's never really "BPA" it's just "BPA at a position of need" and as it turns out, RB is also kind of a need. Just one that we're willing to ignore because of Free's contract.

And honestly, if we got Chase Young I literally would not care who we drafted after that. I just want game changers on defense. The "good offense makes the defense better" strategy has been tried and failed so many times.

11 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

It's never really "BPA" it's just "BPA at a position of need" and as it turns out, RB is also kind of a need. Just one that we're willing to ignore because of Free's contract.

And honestly, if we got Chase Young I literally would not care who we drafted after that. I just want game changers on defense. The "good offense makes the defense better" strategy has been tried and failed so many times.

It’s just part of the strategy. Ball control capabilities would still be only a good thing to be able to churn out long drives; if D needed a rest or time to adjust to what an offense is successfully using.

More of “the game within the game” and obviously building a defense that can play well is step one, but a 1-3 year project given the resource shift needed. Coaching may make a difference for existing young players stepping up; it may accelerate the process.

ChickenBiscuit likes this

Man everything is a gamble.  All I know is a I want a guy who coaches discipline and is a real x's and o's kind of guy. 

I'm sick of the bs rah-rah....that junk only goes so far.

thanat0s likes this