Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schwarzwald

Re-tread to the SB?

51 posts in this topic

Ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy preparing for NFL return by studying film, building staff

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ex-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy-preparing-for-nfl-return-by-studying-film-building-staff/

Former Super Bowl-winning coach Mike McCarthy is preparing in earnest for a return to the NFL in 2020, sources said, well at work reviewing film each week and lining up potential staff. The longtime Green Bay coach was blindsided by his in-season firing last year, and while he did interview for a few jobs, he was inclined to spend 2019 with his family and mulling his options.

McCarthy is all-in on head coaching next season and has been mostly in Green Bay breaking down the league on film with potential staff members and preparing for interview options. With fewer "hot coordinators" than usual, and with most of this year's rookie head coaches struggling mightily, some execs believe that established former head coaches are going to be in higher demand in 2020.

There could be multiple one-and-done scenarios unfolding around the league, given the state of many franchises one year after making a coaching change, and McCarthy's resume of winning football and consistent playoff appearances is going to carry considerable appeal with owners trying to keep a window of contending football (at least in their minds) open with veteran quarterbacks still making big money.

We have just reached November, but Falcons coach Dan Quinn is under fire and not expected back in 2020, Washington already fired Jay Gruden and the Chargers fired offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt last week after a poor start. There were not many situations open a year ago that had strong appeal to McCarthy, and while the Jets pursued him in earnest, he had differences of opinion on several issues with team officials at the time, making that job not a fit.

Question, I know we made it to the SB with the WCO, and most on this Board seem to think we have to hire a WCO guy but are we still trying to make another Kyle? I think we unfairly did that to Sark. I just want a great offensive mind with a Staff that can coach players up no matter what offense we run. So do we have to have a WCO guy?

8 minutes ago, mikeg272 said:

I was against it, but would be interesting to see what he could do with a QB that dont fight him every thing he tries to do. 

Would like to see/know the staff he wants to being with him

Honestly, I do wonder. Look at how “kicking and screaming” Rodgers sounded when told he’d be limited in audibles and control of the offense; early on under LaFleur.

:shrug:

PokerSteve likes this

I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about McCarthy, but, like this article says --- " McCarthy's resume of winning football and consistent playoff appearances is going to carry considerable appeal with owners trying to keep a window of contending football (at least in their minds) open with veteran quarterbacks still making big money". 
I mean, what's not-to-like about him?!?!?!  We do have a veteran QB still making big money, and Blank would like a team who contends for the Playoffs every year I'm sure ---- so, if McCarthy is interested in coming to the Falcons, bring him home Arthur!!!  

thanat0s and Emmitt like this

27 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

I am ok with it. Coach with experience and a chip on his shoulder. Just find the right guy to run the defense. So tired of these awful defenses.

Pretty much and most of the falloff since their SB was the Defense getting worse. :shrug:

Who would Mike have ties with in the NFL to bring in as DC?

Did DQ and Shanny have ties before Atlanta?

Just now, FalconJim said:

I don't pretend to know everything there is to know about McCarthy, but, like this article says --- " McCarthy's resume of winning football and consistent playoff appearances is going to carry considerable appeal with owners trying to keep a window of contending football (at least in their minds) open with veteran quarterbacks still making big money". 
I mean, what's not-to-like about him?!?!?!  We do have a veteran QB still making big money, and Blank would like a team who contends for the Playoffs every year I'm sure ---- so, if McCarthy is interested in coming to the Falcons, bring him home Arthur!!!  

Aaron Rodgers always had a pretty good offensive line under McCarthy. Their D line was okay.

FalconJim likes this

2 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Aaron Rodgers always had a pretty good offensive line under McCarthy. Their D line was okay.

I agree!  Most of the games I've seen, Rodgers has had plenty of time to find his intended target ---- can you imagine what Ryan could do with that?!?!?!  Of course MR2 isn't quite as mobile as Rodgers, but he may not have to be, with a decent OL.  
And if McCarthy could turn our "DLine" into just a middlin' group (like GB), it should be enough to win a lot more games than we have lately!  But all this would be predicated on who he brought in as his DC ---
Therefore, I think I would be pleased to see McCarthy as our HC...  

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

34 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Actually the offensive lines in the McCarthy era were mostly awful and Rodgers was getting murdered year after year.  It wasn't until the end of his tenure that they put stock in the oline.  

Also I don't want McCarthy.  That team won in spite of him and solely due to Aaron Rodgers.  I saw A LOT of Packer games being in the Chicago area and it's a no from me.  He very much rode the coat tails of 12 and should have accomplished much much more.

MSalmon and ChickenBiscuit like this

24 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

I agree!  Most of the games I've seen, Rodgers has had plenty of time to find his intended target ---- can you imagine what Ryan could do with that?!?!?!  Of course MR2 isn't quite as mobile as Rodgers, but he may not have to be, with a decent OL.  
And if McCarthy could turn our "DLine" into just a middlin' group (like GB), it should be enough to win a lot more games than we have lately!  But all this would be predicated on who he brought in as his DC ---
Therefore, I think I would be pleased to see McCarthy as our HC...  

Regardless, I believe Lindstrom and McGary are a big part of getting a good OL here moving forward.

If Mack continues decline, maybe drop him and draft a C in round 3? Save like $8.5M cap by cutting him.

Besides, Brees and Brady have good or better OL most seasons as the norm. Get it done whoever is the next coach.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
FalconJim likes this

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

I saw that. 

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Dom Capers would come with McCarthy!! :ninja:

While Capers would be a vast improvement to our current DC, Quinn did come up with a new catch phrase after giving up 37 to the Bye Week.

"Fondle the Fail"

Capers would never be able to replicate DQ's catch phrase formations.

1 hour ago, athell said:

Actually the offensive lines in the McCarthy era were mostly awful and Rodgers was getting murdered year after year.  It wasn't until the end of his tenure that they put stock in the oline.  

Also I don't want McCarthy.  That team won in spite of him and solely due to Aaron Rodgers.  I saw A LOT of Packer games being in the Chicago area and it's a no from me.  He very much rode the coat tails of 12 and should have accomplished much much more.

It's a shame Mike Tomlin is not available. The Pittsburgh Steelers are still very competitive without Ben, Brown and Bell. 

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

I never been a huge fan of Mike McCarthy or Rodgers. I think I there was problems there for years with Rodgers. Inspite of it all, McCarthy might be a good fit for us actually,With our current position and players we have. Ryan would work with him and not against him.

Mccarthy was good with the Packers in the beginning but he got embarrassed by the Falcons near the end... he had an all-time QB in Rodgers too. I would pass on Mccarthy and find someone from the Shanny coaching tree or get Kubiak.

Schwarzwald likes this

If Kubes was up to it health wise, I'd go for him over McCarthy. I have a feeling that AB isn't going to be all that willing to roll with yet another rookie head coach after the last four he's hired hasn't brought home a title...