2019 Atlanta Falcons Mid-Season Ratings

I put this together after the Seahawks game but went back and rewatched a few guys to be sure I was trying to be fair with some assessments.   Missing players did not have a contribution (or I missed them).  Scale is from A to F:

• A - Significantly exceeding expectations
  • B - Doing solid work
  • C - Get's the job done but not necessarily often enough to be significantly impactful
  • D - Falls short of expectations
  • F - A complete liability (I did not put anyone in this category)

Player Grade Quick Hit
Adrian Clayborn C Solid role player but only sporadic impact.
Alex Mack B- Mack isn't what he use to be but still probably better than most...weird penalties.
Allen Bailey C+ Quite decent but would prefer to go younger/cheaper 2020.
Austin Hooper A- Ace hands and crazy YAC ability...has been bright spot for O.  Blocking can be up and down though.
Brian Hill B Shows up when called on and want to see more but unsure of future with team.
Calvin Ridley A- When targeted, good things usually happen.  Blocking better too.
Chris Lindstrom B+ Looked good for a rookie before going out
Damontae Kazee D+ Love KZ, plays hard but lost too often and not ball hawking anymore.
Deion Jones B Sometimes he looks great but not a lot of splash so far this year.
Desmond Trufant C Very high varience and contract makes him pointless to cut.
De'Vondre Campbell D Wanted us to keep him but he has been a mess this year.
Devonta Freeman C- Tough running behind a dodgy line but we can get similar from the guys behind him for a whole lot less.
Foyesade Oluokun B+ Has actually looked better than most of LBs in limited action.
Grady Jarrett A+ Plays hard every down and disruptive even when no one else is
Isaiah Oliver D+ Way too many mistakes even for still being green but love the effort esp on runs.
Ito Smith B- Makes the most of limited reps but has had a hard time staying healthy.
Jack Crawford C- Tough year for some reason, not really making impression run or pass.
Jaeden Graham B Another young player who takes advantage of limited action but mostly watching
Jake Matthews C+ Solid most of the time but when he loses, he loses big.
James Carpenter C- Pretty average when can stay on field
Jamon Brown C- Equally average and also on and off the field.
John Cominsky B- Not a ton of reps but looks eager when he gets in.
Josh Harris A A LS you don't talk about is a good LS.
Julio Jones A- Julio doing Julio things and we're paying for it.
Justin Hardy C- Just a role player…has not been as reliable as he use to be.
Kaleb McGary B- Probably a "C" by RT standards but he's a rook and dealing with a slot machine at G next to him.
Kasey Redfern C+ Average punts but good on short notice…thought Wile was better but both as good as Bosher
Keanu Neal C Wasn't spectacular before going down but we picked up his option so he'll be back.
Keith Smith B+ Smith's look pretty good to me.  Not a road-grader but doing what we ask.
Kemal Ishmael D+ An A for effort but he's not a Safety and 4th-5th best LB on team.
Kendall Sheffield A- I was not as high on him coming out but he has played extremely well even when beaten.
Kenjon Barner C+ Runs hard but results no better than Hardy
Luke Stocker C High expectations coming in but really just a guy.
Matt Bosher C+ Loved Bosh over years but what he brings doesn't seem particularly special or worth cost.
Matt Bryant C- I can't bring myself to give him anything lower than a "C" but this ship sailed last year.
Matt Ryan B+ Matt has been generally good but he gets a B+ for early picks and some notable misses.
Matt Schaub A- Excellent game against 'hawks.  Need to move on in 2020 though.
Ricardo Allen B- A true "do your job guy".   Hasn't been awesome tho.  I'm inclined to keep though open to young blood.
Russell Gage A- Hasn't gotten a ton of ops but lays out every time.
Takkarist McKinley C- Somewhat disruptive but not reliable.  One more year to show if it is or isn't going to happen for him.
Ty Sambrailo C Hasn't been awful in limited relief during regular season but not feeling him for 2020.
Tyeler Davison B Not sure if we can afford to keep around but has been a solid player inside.
Vic Beasley Jr. D Needs to write a check payable to Falcons for $10M.
Wes Schweitzer C Utility makes him valuable so he ain't good but he's good enough.
20 minutes ago, vitaman said:

Thanks for the effort, but if these were accurate we would be about a .500 team at this point.

MUCH more to a team success (scheme, prep, health, overall execution, matchup, mistakes etc..) than individual efforts which is what I rate here.  I did this exercise last year and was similarly "generous" due to my isolating the player from the overall result.   I do these exercises for my own benefit to check myself and share them to see what others might think.   It's really easy to be so jaded that you only see results and not care about the play to play effort.  I fully expect most to do a drive by (as seen from the first few responses) and retreat back to their thoughts but hopefully a few people will share their own ratings and explanations even if only a subset of what I did.

FALCONS WITH A 70.0+ PFF OVERALL SCORE AND THEIR LEAGUE RANKINGS

• 90.2 - Grady Jarrett - 4th
  • 85.0 - Julio Jones - 7th
  • 82.2 - Austin Hooper - 6th
  • 80.8 - Deion Jones - 6th
  • 79.3 - Tyeler Davison - 18th
  • 72.6 - Matt Ryan - 17th

That's it folks. Six players. And two of them will be UFAs next year. Anyone else that doesn't get their act together by season's end can get on the 2020 purge candidates's list.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

None of the WR may be except Hooper deserve A. When you have the OC coming out and saying the WR are running wrong routes or can’t get open that’s a big problem. Julio is B, Hooper is A, rest are C.

I'm sure some unflattering words could be spoken of the OC's system and play-calling but you won't likely hear them until he is gone.

4 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'm sure some unflattering words could be spoken of the OC's system and play-calling but you won't likely hear them until he is gone.

That doesn’t change the grades. The reality is Ryan took lot of coverage sacks and hits in multiple Games. The Receivers sucked this year outside of Hoops and Julio. I would start with a DB coach convert teaching WR to run routes.  They don’t deserve anything outside of C. If anything the QB is trying to make something out if the chicken ****.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

FALCONS WITH A 70.0+ PFF OVERALL SCORE AND THEIR LEAGUE RANKINGS

• 90.2 - Grady Jarrett - 4th
  • 85.0 - Julio Jones - 7th
  • 82.2 - Austin Hooper - 6th
  • 80.8 - Deion Jones - 6th
  • 79.3 - Tyeler Davison - 18th
  • 72.6 - Matt Ryan - 17th

That's it folks. Six players. And two of them will be UFAs next year. Anyone else that doesn't get their act together by season's end can get on the 2020 purge candidates's list.

Davidson was a really good offseason nab, I think Saints fans downplayed how good he is. Hope he gets re-signed. Him + Jarrett with Young off the edge would be the nastiest DL we have had since...since I was born, really lmao.

41 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That doesn’t change the grades. The reality is Ryan took lot of coverage sacks and hits in multiple Games. The Receivers sucked this year outside of Hoops and Julio. I would start with a DB coach convert teaching WR to run routes.  They don’t deserve anything outside of C. If anything the QB is trying to make something out if the chicken ****.

I wasnt disputing your grades nor changing my own.  The idea that everyone but Hooper can't follow instructions and can't run routes anymore just doesn't wash.  DK's preference for long developing plays and lack of creativity to me is more an issue but I just appreciate the feedback from you.

3 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I wasnt disputing your grades nor changing my own.  The idea that everyone but Hooper can't follow instructions and can't run routes anymore just doesn't wash.  DK's preference for long developing plays and lack of creativity to me is more an issue but I just appreciate the feedback from you.

Where did I say Hoop was running wrong routes. He is the only A player in receiving. Outside of him and Julio, the receivers are running wrong routes and been inconsistent. They had short routes against Titans and ran in to each other... heck even against Colts. 

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Where did I say Hoop was running wrong routes. He is the only A player in receiving. Outside of him and Julio, the receivers are running wrong routes and been inconsistent. They had short routes against Titans and ran in to each other... heck even against Colts. 

You didn't nor did I.  I think you missed the 'everyone but Hooper' when you read my post.