NeonDeion

Dumbest move of the DQ Era?

89 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2019 at 0:05 AM, rudy said:

The dumbest move was to sign V Beasley for $12.8M and then not forcing him to participate in OTA to work with Quinn to get better.

Vic here or not we'd still be trash 

On 11/2/2019 at 6:46 AM, Monolith2001 said:

I saw that video this morning and thought the same but I try to avoid hindsight bias.  Who knows if LaFleur was ready to take on the challenge in 2017.  He was a QB coach for us.  Going to LA (OC in name) and Tenn were probably very helpful in his development and so I say that he probably needed those stops and may have struggled like Sark out of the gate without those two years of seasoning.

But The rams were the next year after the superbowl and they gained the #1 scoring offense we had. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, kenn.junior said:

Lets be real if Lafleur would of stayed with us he probably would left for a HC job and this cycle would of stayed the same anyway

We would have won the superbowl in 2017 so it wouldnt had mattered if he left after then. 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:33 PM, shc said:

There is no way to know if the Matt lefleur now would have been the same one we would have had.

He was the one that knew Shanny's offense the most. People were saying to promote him to OC instead of bringing an outsider who I wasn't enamored with (Sark) and making him learn and run another guy's offense.

rugger8 likes this

On 11/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Embrace the suck said:

Bunch of apologist brain washed none sense.

1. Yes you do fire Quinn because Elite OCs don't grow on trees, and because Quinn's defense was horrible for 2 straight seasons. We all can clearly see that was the right decision now Shanny took us to the SB inspite of Quinn. 

2. He does have a job, he's a football analyst for ESPN.

3. I think he was, and he's proving many of us to be right.

4. Sure was drafted by Mckay in 2007. Was used by TD and Smitty for YEARS and wasn't cut till 2011. Big FAIL.

5. What about Vic Bustley?

6. Jerry was not a good player. ACL is not a career ending injury and we've had several players come back from it. Panthers LB'er Thomas Davis came back from 3 knee surgeries and had a HOF type career during the same time era. He was just an epic bust and contrary to opinion was not playing well before was hurt.

7. Sean Weatherspoon wrong era of what? Drafted by TD and was a bust.

8. Bust.

9. Useable sure, but not worth the contract we gave him at a position which is in flux.

10. Top 5 MLB in the NFL in shutting down the run,we replaced him with high top mu****in Bartu and Worried low. Should have been retained and taken out on 3rd downs, big fail. Run defense immediately tanked for years and changed from a position of strength to one of the worst in the NFL. 

In all fairness for #1. After 2016, Dan Quinn was looked upon as Sean Mcvay/Kyle Shanahan are looked at now, as a genius up & coming coach. People thought Atlanta had young talent on the defense with Jarrett/Beasley (coming off leading the NFL in sacks), Deion Jones, Campbell, Trufant, and Neal. People thought once DQ got all of his "guys" they will be a top 5 defense annually like Seattle, but over time, we have seen that DQ is a fraud. Looked good in Seattle after having all-pros all over the field but has fielded poor defenses (near the bottom of the league every year according to DVOA) in Atlanta. Shanny and that #1 offense was the main reason the Falcons went to the Super Bowl, he was the real guru. Letting Lafleur walk was also a big mistake. Matt Ryan coming off an MVP year and getting a college guy to learn Shanny's offense... the Falcons would've probably beaten the SB champ Eagles that year with Lafleur at the helm. Remember Lafleur was the OC of the Rams that year and although he didn't call the plays, their offense closely resembled Shanny's and was #1 in the NFL.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
Schwarzwald, Vandy and Osiruz like this

14 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

slick-19309-1494883357343.jpg

This is hard to top as dumbest DQ move..

I agree. I was so annoyed when I heard that rubbish. 

You just knew that everyone was going to wrongly assume that the “suck” meant the suckage of giving away an impossible lead in the SB. It was always going to act as a perpetual reminder of our lowest moment.

If wanted a moto about embracing the grind and and hard work required to succeed, he should have worded it much better.

15 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

In all fairness for #1. After 2016, Dan Quinn was looked upon as Sean Mcvay/Kyle Shanahan are looked at now, as a genius up & coming coach. People thought Atlanta had young talent on the defense with Jarrett/Beasley (coming off leading the NFL in sacks), Deion Jones, Campbell, Trufant, and Neal. People thought once DQ got all of his "guys" they will be a top 5 defense annually like Seattle, but over time, we have seen that DQ is a fraud. Looked good in Seattle after having all-pros all over the field but has fielded poor defenses (near the bottom of the league every year according to DVOA) in Atlanta. Shanny and that #1 offense was the main reason the Falcons went to the Super Bowl, he was the real guru. Letting Lafleur walk was also a big mistake. Matt Ryan coming off an MVP year and getting a college guy to learn Shanny's offense... the Falcons would've probably beaten the SB champ Eagles that year with Lafleur at the helm. Remember Lafleur was the OC of the Rams that year and although he didn't call the plays, their offense closely resembled Shanny's and was #1 in the NFL.

It began to hit me game 2 against the panthers of 2016 when I started realizing how overrated DQ really was, but as you know logic and common sense is not allowed here when the team is winning. 

MilleniumFalcon likes this

6 hours ago, FalconOdense said:

Giving Freeman a big contract... NEVER PAY YOUR RUNNINGBACKS

I wonder if the Saints will pay Kamara :tiphat:

:munch:

17 hours ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5057878

If keeping LaFleur meant keeping some of Kyle’s staff; like Mike McDaniel for run game coordinator and his brother Mike as pass game coordinator?

Sark came in having to replace it all!

MilleniumFalcon likes this

Anyone that says anything other than SB51 and the entire 4th quarter of allowing Shanny to do what he did is crazy.

If we won that SB, Yeah we would be mad right now that we suck but we would have our ring and not be the center of every meme imaginable.

Schwarzwald likes this

5 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Anyone that says anything other than SB51 and the entire 4th quarter of allowing Shanny to do what he did is crazy.

If we won that SB, Yeah we would be mad right now that we suck but we would have our ring and not be the center of every meme imaginable.

I don’t know man. The Aints got themselves some great meme worthy content over the years and since SB51, too.

:lol:

But ya...that was the worst decision making in that 4th Q.

Should have managed the clock and minimized the number of chances the Patriots would have. I wonder how many run attempts we had to dropbacks after 28-3? We only ran it 4 times.

Then, we didn’t even ensure that then $$$ Matt Bryant got a chance to make it a 2 score game once in FG range by “staying aggressive”; instead of just sealing the win at roughly 3 minutes remaining?