Summerhill

Outside the box: Marvin Lewis for GM/VP/Pres

44 posts in this topic

Yeah yeah yeah he can't win in the playoffs. I know. I don't want to hear about it. I'm not proposing hiring him as head coach. 

But think about him in a position above head coach and the qualities he would bring. I think he could be better as an executive than a head coach. 

Stability Cincinnati is one of the 2-3 most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. In the 11 seasons before Lewis, the Bengals didn't have any coaches for more than 4 seasons. Lewis brought stability for 16 seasons. Now as soon as he's gone, the team has reverted to its normal trainwreck status. The Falcons are not the perfect franchise, but it would be the best organization Lewis has worked for since Baltimore in 2001. He has an incredibly smooth and level personality and would likely be less prone to doing some of the more reactionary moves the current GM has been known for. 

Coaches Lewis generally had good staffs in Cinci. Five of his former assistants would go on to get head coaching jobs - Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph, and Leslie Frazier. Paul Guenther was a position coach who is now a coordinator and could one day be a head coach. As a team exec Lewis would be responsible for hiring the Falcons' next head coach. 

The draft Cincinnati does not have a conventional general manager so Lewis was almost the de facto GM while head coach. Cinci's talent dropped a lot the last few years but from roughly 2006-2014 they were one of the better drafting teams in the NFL. Cinci has long shied away from free agency so Lewis had to make it work with his draft picks and that's it. 

Spts1 likes this

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

One things for sure, that mythical Falcons Filter won't be brought up anymore. 

Hello u are right abt that

Wouldn't this basically be a worse version of Mike Smith?

Personnel aside.

All the negative I hear about Smitty, especially in comparisons to Quinn, is the 1 playoff win.

And if you don't like penalties with Quinn..... you REALLY won't like how out of control Lewis' teams played.

Just go look at that Steeler playoff loss where they had them beat but a few penalties and BOOM.

On Marvin Lewis's watch:

2006 - the team had more players arrested than it had wins. Odell Thurman suspended entire season.
2007 - Chris Henry & Odell Thurman got into a bunch of trouble resulting in lengthy suspensions. AJ Nicholson was arrested for the 2nd time for domestic violence & was released.
2008 - Chris Henry & Odell Thurman let go because they could not stay out of trouble. Henry got re-signed but couldn't stay healthy.
2009 - Henry stayed hurt & then died after falling off the back of a truck during a domestic dispute.
2011 - Cedric Benson suspended 3 games for assault.
Despite all that Lewis continued to bring in players like Pac Man Jones & Vontaze Burfict who came with extremely checkered pasts & got suspended, missing a combined 7 games.

Looking at the draft & free agent acquisitions under Lewis & co. and there's really not much to be excited about. It seriously just looks like a poor man's version of what TD has done here.

Osiruz and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Yeah yeah yeah he can't win in the playoffs. I know. I don't want to hear about it. I'm not proposing hiring him as head coach. 

But think about him in a position above head coach and the qualities he would bring. I think he could be better as an executive than a head 

Hire someone with a history of losing to make your team a winner.. :ninja:

41 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

That’s the dumbest thing I have read in a while. Nothing personal OP.

i rather have Smitty than Marvin Lewis. I want new blood, not washed up guys.

I have to agree 

Rich McKay was ran out of Tampa Bay becasue of his man crush for Marvin Lewis, The Glazers hired Jon Gruden to McKays dismay and the then Gruden turned around and ran McKay out of Tampa. 

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Did anyone actually read the OP? Y’all acting like he said Lewis for coach :lol:

I did. I don’t want him any where near this team. Heck I would take MS as a GM before Marvin Lewis.

UK13 likes this

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Did anyone actually read the OP? Y’all acting like he said Lewis for coach :lol:

Seriously though...it's like everyone saw "Marvin Lewis" and then immediately jumped in to say "no for HC."

Halcon-1 and ya_boi_j like this

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I did... and I thought it was particularly funny the OP mentioned Marvin Lewis bringing stability to the team considering he regularly brought in a number of players who were anything but stable. Also why I pointed out that the rest of the guys who were on his teams were either constantly hurt, overhyped underachievers, or j.a.g.s... ya know, exactly the issues people have with the way TD has built this team, but a far inferior version of what we have here.

So again, no thanks.

no offense to the OP but the entire premise of the idea just screams "I just want a familiar name, so now I will poorly attempt to justify it"

6 hours ago, Summerhill said:

But think about him in a position above head coach and the qualities he would bring. I think he could be better as an executive than a head coach. 

Stability Cincinnati is one of the 2-3 most dysfunctional franchises in the NFL. In the 11 seasons before Lewis, the Bengals didn't have any coaches for more than 4 seasons. Lewis brought stability for 16 seasons. Now as soon as he's gone, the team has reverted to its normal trainwreck status. The Falcons are not the perfect franchise, but it would be the best organization Lewis has worked for since Baltimore in 2001. He has an incredibly smooth and level personality and would likely be less prone to doing some of the more reactionary moves the current GM has been known for. 

Coaches Lewis generally had good staffs in Cinci. Five of his former assistants would go on to get head coaching jobs - Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Hue Jackson, Vance Joseph, and Leslie Frazier. Paul Guenther was a position coach who is now a coordinator and could one day be a head coach. As a team exec Lewis would be responsible for hiring the Falcons' next head coach. 

The draft Cincinnati does not have a conventional general manager so Lewis was almost the de facto GM while head coach. Cinci's talent dropped a lot the last few years but from roughly 2006-2014 they were one of the better drafting teams in the NFL. Cinci has long shied away from free agency so Lewis had to make it work with his draft picks and that's it. 

Very good points.  The Bengals regressed to pre Lewis FAST...:lol:  You made some good points with that post.  There was a reason Cincinatti kept him that long...

4 hours ago, falcons007 said:

That’s the dumbest thing I have read in a while. Nothing personal OP.

i rather have Smitty than Marvin Lewis. I want new blood, not washed up guys.

but isn't that what you got with Koetter, Mularkey and the gang?

Sidecar Falcon likes this