falcons007

Cap space, trade and Cuts guide for 2019 and 2020.

37 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Nice work.  

Ive said since Matthews signed that a purge was coming.  This is what it looks like.  Cutting an All Pro and 3 Pro Bowlers to create CAP space is never a good thing.  But it’s necessary.  Mack, Tru, Neal & Bailey will all be difficult to replace effectively

In theory, yes.  Mack is on the decline.  So is Tru.  Neal can't stay healthy and I dunno about Bailey but we can find more Allen Bailey's.

Tough task but doable.  Just gotta hit on that draft and fa period.  This thing can be turned around very quickly, it's gonna be on the front office tho and with the question marks there...who knows.

We can cut Alex Mack, Ben Garland is a Free Agent next year and we can bring him back to be center.  We can sign Sean Lee from Dallas for OLB, he is injury prone but legit when he is healthy and cut Campbell. Another cheap free agent is Shaq Lawson, he is a DE that can come in in place of Bust Beasley. Then we can focus on getting best player available when we pick 6-9 range in the draft. If LT Andrew Thomas is there from UGA I'n taking him, if not the DE from Iowa. Falcons will win 3 more games so we wont be in line to get Chase Young. Another free agent I like is Austin Ekelar from San Diego RB, also Matt Brieda from San Fran will be available. 

See list of free agents for next year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

On 11/5/2019 at 6:18 AM, athell said:

In theory, yes.  Mack is on the decline.  So is Tru.  Neal can't stay healthy and I dunno about Bailey but we can find more Allen Bailey's.

Tough task but doable.  Just gotta hit on that draft and fa period.  This thing can be turned around very quickly, it's gonna be on the front office tho and with the question marks there...who knows.

Mack is still better than most Centers.  They can redo his contract and extend him for 2 years lowering his cap hit to about $3-4 million. He is good for mentoring the young guys and someone who could still start next season and then become a back-up the last year. He is not going to be expensive to keep and a guy worth the investment. His experience and work ethics are the intangible assets he has that will OL get better. 

Edited by stingbee

On 11/7/2019 at 5:37 AM, Refried Beans said:

We can cut Alex Mack, Ben Garland is a Free Agent next year and we can bring him back to be center.  We can sign Sean Lee from Dallas for OLB, he is injury prone but legit when he is healthy and cut Campbell. Another cheap free agent is Shaq Lawson, he is a DE that can come in in place of Bust Beasley. Then we can focus on getting best player available when we pick 6-9 range in the draft. If LT Andrew Thomas is there from UGA I'n taking him, if not the DE from Iowa. Falcons will win 3 more games so we wont be in line to get Chase Young. Another free agent I like is Austin Ekelar from San Diego RB, also Matt Brieda from San Fran will be available. 

See list of free agents for next year:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

There isn’t too much of a reason to bring Ben back especially if Koetter is still here. 

Schwarzwald likes this

On 11/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, stingbee said:

Mack is still better than most Centers.  They can redo his contract and extend him for 2 years lowering his cap hit to about $3-4 million. He is good for mentoring the young guys and someone who could still start next season and then become a back-up the last year. He is not going to be expensive to keep and a guy worth the investment. His experience and work ethics are the intangible assets he has that will OL get better. 

I agree. I think playing with one arm slowed and hurt him in the first half of the season. 

Schwarzwald and Vandy like this

On 11/10/2019 at 11:03 AM, Realsurfin said:

This just shows me TD needs to go.  We are paying big bucks with little to no ROI

AB needs to wrap his brain around that.

Cap space is always a problem with this team.

Actually, falcons are one of better team’s in League in managing our cap. 

Bad season hindsite notwithstanding, TAFT would have had a complete meltdown last offseason if we hadn’t extended Julio/Jarrett/Jones, much more if TD had let one of them go. IN an overall unimpressive offseason, I was impressed he was able to lock those 3 down. 

I hope we can renegotiate Mack’s contract. He is still an above average center. And would be even better with stable guard play on both sides. 

TXAintsHater likes this

On 10/31/2019 at 2:22 PM, falcons007 said:

I will leave this post here as a reference to save the same typing  in 20 other threads on 20 different players.

TL;DR: The New coaching staff will have 50 M and draft to replace 2-3 starters, decide on Hooper and get a starting DE and LB along with rotational and backups. It is far from doom and gloom with a  total rebuild. 

I will start with the most unlikely players who can be cut or traded. 

Matt Ryan: 

The cash already paid from 2018-2019: 74 M.

Cap hit from 2018-2019: 33.5 M

Difference between cash paid and cap hit: 31.5 M. 

If you trade Ryan in before draft: The dead cap at minimum is 31.5 M, and assuming team trading will take an additional 10 M hit on 33.5 M cap hit. 

The bottom line is Falcons will have to make more cuts just to get out of cap **** by trading Ryan. I don't think there is any team in NFL, which will take a 43.5 M cap hit for Ryan in 2020 with a trade. 

I am not going to bother with details of cutting Ryan straight up. 

In 2021, the dead cap will be 29 M either in the trade or straight-up cut. Post 6/1 will split some of the money, but the team will be in cap ****.

In 2022, this is a realistic year to cut with 15 M dead cap, if Ryan doesn't perform well and draft a QB. 

Julio Jones: 

If he is traded in 2019, the team will have to take at least 23 M dead cap and at worst 32 M in dead cap. The team which will trade for Julio will have a cap hit between 20 M to 29 M. Not many teams would trade first-rounders and take a huge cap hit. The team will have to let go of multiple players to just get under the cap after trading Julio.

Like Ryan, realistically, the team can trade or cut Julio by taking 15 M dead cap in the year 2022. I would bet on Julio going somewhere before Ryan leaves ATL if either one of them won't finish their career here..

Debo and Grady would be hard cuts till 2022. Both of them could be trade candidates in 2021 with out too much dead cap. 

Likely Trades/Cuts: 

Freeman: 

Freeman was untradeable unless the other team was giving falcons a top 3 round pick. If Falcons traded Freeman this year, his dead cap would have been 7.5 M next year. 

The best case is to designate him as post 6/1 cut with 6.5 M cap savings next year and 3 M dead cap in both 2020 and 2021. 

Trufant: 

He was untradeable this year; Falcons would have taken 24 M dead cap in next two years. 

In 2019, if he is a post 6/1 cut, the Falcons can save 10 M in cap space with 10 M in dead money spread over 2020 and 2021. 

Alex Mack: 

From Cap perspective, he is the easiest cut in 2020, Cap savings of 8.5 M and 2.5 M dead cap. If the Falcons get an offensive mind as HC, the new coach can draft a center in the first three rounds and replace Mack. It may not be an easy replacement but possible with the right coach. 

Ty Sambrailo:  Easy cut with 2 M dead money and 3.75 M in cap savings. 

Keanu Neal:  He is counting 6.4 M against the cap in 2020. The new Coach may not want to keep him at that price. If he is let go, the Falcons get full cap savings. 

Luke Stocker:   Cap savings of 2.6 M and dead cap of 750K. This is no brainer cut.

Allen Bailey  Cap savings 4.5 M and dead cap 1.5 M. It could be an easy cut. 

Ricardo Allen:  4.25 dead money and 3.15 Savings, Post June 1st: 5.25 saving and 2.2 M dead money in 2020 and 2021. 

Schaub 2 M in savings.  

Post-June 1st cuts: Freeman and Trufant, that's savings of 16.5 M. Need to find cheaper CB and RB in FA or draft. RB is easier, but CB may need a first-round pick. 

Cutting Mack, Ty, Neal, Stocker, and Bailey will save 25.7 M. Mack is the only guy who has contributed in the last two years, Neal is good but hasn't played much in the last two seasons. Other players are backups and rotational players. Get a decent vet Center and SS. 

Rico: He is in the middle with more dead money in 2020, and not much savings post-June 1 st cut. I can see him post-June cut and save another 5.25 M. 

With all the likely cuts, Falcons can save 46.7 M with the need to replace Starting Center, Starting CB, Starting FS, and an injured starting SS in draft and FA. RB can be found later in the draft with good ZBS.

The New coaching staff will have 50 M and draft to replace 2-3 starters, decide on Hooper and get a starting DE and LB along with rotational and backups. This is far from doom and gloom with a  total rebuild.  

I count 5 starters on your cut list. Plus you have to replace 5 other starters who will be free agents. Then you have to add 12-15 more players to fill out the roster. $50M ain’t a lot for 22-25 players.

atljbo likes this

On 12/2/2019 at 7:03 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I count 5 starters on your cut list. Plus you have to replace 5 other starters who will be free agents. Then you have to add 12-15 more players to fill out the roster. $50M ain’t a lot for 22-25 players.

Most of those guys are underperforming. Falcons need a 2008 or 2016 type draft. 

On 11/4/2019 at 9:01 PM, FalconsIn2012 said:

Nice work.  

Ive said since Matthews signed that a purge was coming.  This is what it looks like.  Cutting an All Pro and 3 Pro Bowlers to create CAP space is never a good thing.  But it’s necessary.  Mack, Tru, Neal & Bailey will all be difficult to replace effectively

yep I feel sorry for the new GM what a mass