Just a bad year for the Falcons? Braves? United? Hawks? Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets? Other?

jlrfalcon

The Hawks will en legit this year. Never want to see a player get hurt but if Cam, Hunter, Bruno and Huerter can figure out how to run this offense without relying so much on Trae, this team has something very good this year. Just enough vet experience mixed in. Very bad news for the NBA if we learn how to play offense without Trae and it will only be better when he’s back. On defense we have youth to run and great length.

21 minutes ago, shock said:

Go ahead and keep talking out of your ***. 

Though I don’t really care about MLB or college football so my comment wasn’t really directed at those Atlanta teams. To be honest I should’ve directed the “losers” bit solely to the Falcons. Because I absolutely love the Hawks and what they’ve been building since Schlenk has shown up. So I will apologize for not being more specific if you’re defending any of the teams besides the Falcons. 

There’s nothing I said that’s not true. It’s a fact and it pisses you off. 10th best soccer league vs other pro teams competing at the highest levels of their respective sports. 

But no continue pounding your chest about participation trophies no one care about. 

It’s loudmouth clowns like you why the candy stripes are the only professional sports team in Georgia I root against

Edited by Godzilla1985

19 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

There’s nothing I said that’s not true. It’s a fact and it pisses you off. 10th best soccer league vs other pro teams competing at the highest levels of their respective sports. 

But no continue pounding your chest about participation trophies no one care about. 

It’s loudmouth clowns like you why the candy stripes are the only professional sports team in Georgia I root against

Funny you say I have thin skin when you’re spouting off that weak BS. Sorry the Falcons continue to be a joke while Atlanta United put American soccer on the map. I’ve been a Falcons fan for 20+ years and I can admit that they’re currently a sorry bunch in a state of complete disarray. Seems pointless to let your anger out against the only successful team to play home games in the Benz. You’re pretty pathetic to root against a team in Atlanta by the way. You sound like a sad, sad human being. 

Edited by shock

Supposedly Trae Young will be back within a week or so, that's what I heard. 

Also...why do some people crap their pants whenever someone says something positive about Atlanta United?  

If you don't like soccer, fine.  But attacking people who do is borderline psychotic.  

I mean, I don't like knitting, but I'm not going to call my mom a thin-skinned b**ch because she knits.  lol   

Just now, octoslash said:

Also...why do some people crap their pants whenever someone says something positive about Atlanta United?  

If you don't like soccer, fine.  But attacking people who do is borderline psychotic.  

I mean, I don't like knitting, but I'm not going to call my mom a thin-skinned b**ch because she knits.  lol   

My only guess is some people are just butt hurt that there’s a successful team that plays games in the Benz. I just about fell asleep at the Falcons/Rams game this year, and I was in the front row. That team will have you yawning by the 3rd quarter. 

33 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

There’s nothing I said that’s not true. It’s a fact and it pisses you off. 

Kind of like how all I said was that the Falcons are losers, which is true, and pisses you off? 

Edited by shock

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Bro, stop talking like you know anything about soccer. 

6 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

First the positives?

1) The Falcons resigned Julio and Grady to extensions and have a lot of talent on the team

2) The Braves were actually not forecast to win the division but after a slow start easily did so

3) The Hawks added 2 more 1st round picks and have a great young nucleus around Young and Collins

4) The United became the champions of American soccer and gained local popularity

5) The Bulldogs were ranked pretty high behind Fromm even after losing multiple stars drafted high in the NFL draft

6) The Yellow Jackets finally said goodbye to their old coach and brought in new leadership

7) Georgia State beats Tennessee and appears to be a new force in town

However...

1) The Falcons are currently 1-7, have made minimal coaching/personnel changes, and still have 6 division games to lose?

2) The Braves collapsed in the first round with a 1st inning bashing like no other before and then watched the Nats win the World Series

3) The Hawks start off 2-0 behind an amazing Young only to see him go down in game 4 and appear a helpless team now?

4) The United has an open chance to repeat only to fall to Toronto

5) The Bulldogs lose to unranked South Carolina and have a chance for a national championship but only with no mistakes forward

6) The Yellow Jackets are not exactly winning anything big (good for Bulldogs?) yet

7) Georgia State still has a long way to go before it will get real national attention

There is always mention of a curse but this has really been such a bad year, one has to wonder?  I will probably just attribute it to being a bad series of events (injuries, balls bouncing the wrong way, etc.) but some of it should have been expected with bad coaching or player aging or poor trading/free agent signing.

Should Atlanta expect a rebound in 2020?  Was 2019 really not that bad? Was 2019 one of the worst Atlanta sports years ever?  

What teams does anyone expect to be better in 2020 - Braves? Hawks?

What teams does anyone expect to be worse in 2020 - Falcons? United?

What teams does anyone expect to be unchanged - Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets?

---- First the positives?

1) The Falcons resigned Julio and Grady to extensions and have a lot of talent on the team---

How can you possibly put forth such rubbish by saying they have a lot of talent on this team. My friend, this team is pathetic with a record of 1-7... And quite possibly end up at 2-14.  How many 2-14 teams would you say have lots of talent? How about the Dolphins? Do they have lots of talent? How about the Bengals? How about the Redskins? All of these teams, including ours stink for a reason. They have no talent! The sooner you realize this, the less delusional you will be. 

3 hours ago, octoslash said:

I think it has to do with Atlanta being called a soccer town (or rather anything other than a football town).  

Probably the same people that are only happy with a Falcons win if they run it 90% of the time and the defensive line makes every tackle

The Falcon's are in the loser league of their own in Atlanta

• United had a really good season, and came within one match of playing for the championship again.
  • The Braves are an exciting young team that should be in the hunt for championships at least the next five years
  • The Hawks are also an exciting young team that is probably two years behind the Braves in their rebuild process.  The Hawks should make the playoffs next year, and be a contender to represent the East in Finals for an extended window.
  • Georgia Tech seems to have a really dynamic coach, and I expect are the worst they will be in the coming years.
  • Georgia will  be a force in the college football scene for the next decade.
Edited by brewman

4 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

This x1000.  How long before the lacrosse team's fans come here to brag about their championship too? :lol:. I've been to a World Cup, and lived overseas, and seen real soccer, so it's hilarious when these losers, who hadn't heard of MLS before 2016, pound their chests about Blank wasting his money on a superteam in a garbage league and some winning trophies no one's ever heard of from games that weren't even televised.  And despite all that patting themselves on the back, they CHOKED this year.

Plus, the local kickball team didn't put the American soccer league on the map.  David Beckham did.

4 hours ago, Captain Falcon said:

Bro, stop talking like you know anything about soccer. 

This guy doesn’t know Jack about Soccer. Atlanta United has brought a lot of respect from the outside. Teams like LAFC and United have helped this league to grow and gain more traction. For someone who calls a team that pulls over 52k average during regular season a minor league tells you a lot about his sports IQ and his logic. 

Once again, real sports fans appreciate a team even if they are not a fan of the sport for their accomplishments and their success in the city. Whose the hottest team in Atlanta? It is Atlanta United. Not the Hawks, not the Falcons or Braves. 

Edited by stingbee

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

This x1000.  How long before the lacrosse team's fans come here to brag about their championship too? :lol:. I've been to a World Cup, and lived overseas, and seen real soccer, so it's hilarious when these losers, who hadn't heard of MLS before 2016, pound their chests about Blank wasting his money on a superteam in a garbage league and some winning trophies no one's ever heard of from games that weren't even televised.  And despite all that patting themselves on the back, they CHOKED this year.

Plus, the local kickball team didn't put the American soccer league on the map.  David Beckham did.

Let me help you... The 1994 WC in the US set the platform for MLS. MLS is a young league and you are trying to compare it to the best leagues in Soccer. The English League was not this popular till early 1990s. The Italian league was the juggernaut for a long time before being eclipsed by the English League, the Spanish League and the German league as the best in the world. MLS has been around since 1996 and the attendance has grown every year the past few years. It is at 22k average attendance as of last year and the value of the teams have gone up.

Miami is coming with a new great looking Soccer specific stadium and Beckham is going after some  big names. St.Louis was awarded with a team, and they are building a world clas soccer stadium for their new team. Sacramento just entered the league and building a brand new stadium in downtown Sac. These are major milestones for this league with new investors coming in and putting millions for fees and stadiums. Charlotte is eyeing for a team as well, with Vegas. 

This is not a joke, but investors who see where Soccer is going in this country by putting millions of their dollars into MLS. Read the facts before calling it a minor league.  

Edited by stingbee

4 hours ago, stingbee said:

Let me help you... The 1994 WC in the US set the platform for MLS. MLS is a young league and you are trying to compare it to the best leagues in Soccer. The English League was not this popular till early 1990s. The Italian league was the juggernaut for a long time before being eclipsed by the English League, the Spanish League and the German league as the best in the world. MLS has been around since 1996 and the attendance has grown every year the past few years. It is at 22k average attendance as of last year and the value of the teams have gone up.

Miami is coming with a new great looking Soccer specific stadium and Beckham is going after some  big names. St.Louis was awarded with a team, and they are building a world clas soccer stadium for their new team. Sacramento just entered the league and building a brand new stadium in downtown Sac. These are major milestones for this league with new investors coming in and putting millions for fees and stadiums. Charlotte is eyeing for a team as well, with Vegas. 

This is not a joke, but investors who see where Soccer is going in this country by putting millions of their dollars into MLS. Read the facts before calling it a minor league.  

Whenever anyone deminds MLS fans that the league is garbage, the "soccer is the biggest sport in the world" argument is offered, but that's not thanks to MLS in any way.  MLS teams is another "thing" for billionaires to own to sell a few more hotdogs in their stadiums when there aren't bigger events: the only difference is Blank was dumb enough to overspend to win some meaningless trophies, while his peers focused on their other teams (see Patriots' 6 Superbowl wins vs the Revs' 0 titles).  At least Blank can say he got a title in, well, "something," albeit in a far inferior league, and he was able to garner some attention for his kickball team by price-gouging Falcons fans to keep soccer tickets cheap and build the stadium in the first place.

Despite MLS being around for 20 years, and Miami's first team outright folding, no one took it seriously until they got the games on ESPN and Beckham signed with the Gals around 2007.  All that being said, people have claimed American soccer was taking over since the last American league folded.  Good luck with that.

And if you think the EPL first got popular in the 1990's, I have to question your intelligence.

You can’t say the Braves or United had bad seasons. A division championship or playoff berth is a good year. 

United had a good year after a rough start adapting to a new coach and philosophy. They had a good playoff run only to be beaten by an equally quality opponent. 

The Braves had a good year that had numerous bouts with injuries that they were able to overcome to win the division. In the playoffs they had a typical public meltdown against a clearly inferior opponent. Bad? Yes, but we’ve come to expect underperformance in October from the Braves. 

Georgia is good. Under Kirby they’ve had a typical trend of losing one bad game they shouldn’t lose, then recover until they have to play Alabama. 

21 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

And if you think the EPL first got popular in the 1990's, I have to question your intelligence.

The guy made some good points, but he lost me on this remark. EPL has been regarded as the top league in the world for nearly a century. 

I do believe MLS is growing and gaining credibility on the world stage. As more money is invested and the world’s top players start coming here we will see great things come to fruition. But for now, it’s just another league. 

10 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

It’s pointless to argue with them. They’ve convinced themselves that the Candy Stripes are the greatest team on the planet.  It’s like a fan of division 3 Mount Union college calling UGA football a bunch of losers cause they haven’t won as many national championships as they have.

Candy stripes are like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode where he’s bragging about how he is the king of the dojo. Reality is he’s beating up on a bunch of kids.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Godzilla1985

The Hawks are a young team - they're still a couple of years away.

Bulldogs are not the same team from last year. Fromm is a little overated.

United is a prime example of there are no guarantees in sport. Everything about that team has been a success so far though.

The Falcons have issues... Culture, coaching, mindset, top heavy roster. It starts with the HC for me but this team needs to go through a rebuild/retool. There is talent on the roster but there's also an abundance of overpaid, middling vets who seem to be happy picking up their weekly pay packet. This team needs to start infusing young, hungry, talented players into the roster and take a more longer-term approach to building. Ever since MR2 has been here it's always felt like we're always a piece or two away and that we're capable of challenging every year. The target shouldn't be about putting together the best roster for 2020 but always looking a couple of years ahead. 

It's tough, really. I mean - Atlanta has expectations and we didn't meet them. It's one thing to expect dread and receive it; it's a heck of a lot more painful when you are expecting something and it doesn't happen.

First - let's not lump college teams into the ATL sports lexicon. Georgia Tech/GSU are in Atlanta, but they don't represent the city. UGA surely doesn't rep the city. Atlanta has one of the most diverse collegiate alumni bases in the country. It pulls in droves of folks from schools like Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida State, etc... I think that's what makes it, and Dallas, Texas so special. College football melting pots. When Georgia loses, there are likely a collection of SEC fans in the city that probably dig it. Again - I'm talking in the city of Atlanta.

This year has been one of the worst as an Atlanta sports fan in a while. Only 2013, 2007, and 2003 come to mind in recent memory as worse. The good news is, sports are cyclical. The other good news is, the Hawks, Falcons, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Braves have all the key components of what you need to compete for championships, regardless of temporary slides:

(1) A smart, focused, rich owner willing to do whatever it takes to win. The Hawks and Falcons have Blank and Ressler. They've built A+ practice facilities, and venues for players. There isn't a dime they won't spend on staff and roster personnel to get what they want. The Braves have Liberty Media, which, I think absolutely hamstrung their ability to get pitching in the bullpen at the deadline. They also employee Snitker, so, I don't really get what they're doing (despite the farm system. That's grade A.)

(2) A core nucleus: Falcons have Matt Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Grady, DeBo, Hooper, and a decent amount of young talent. They're an offseason away from the playoffs. It's the NFL. The Hawks might have the best young core of all with Trae, JC, Hunter, Reddish, and Huerter. Braves have Acuna, Freeman, Albies, Swanson, Soroka, Fried, etc... they're fine.

(3) Top-10 media market. Atlanta is the #9 biggest market in the US. So long as #1 is in play, this will always be a destination for athletes to consider. Again, #1 is a big deal though. The Falcons have been players in free agency for a while now, but, it wasn't always that way. Before Blank bought the team, Smith was cheap, and the culture was bad. The Atlanta Spirit Group is still a cuss word in my home. I'd be willing to be the Hawks could make some splashes now. The Braves (if Liberty would just spend the money it takes), is always a spot for ballplayers. 

Things are bad right now. But, I think there is hope. Falcons are going to have the most important off-season in franchise history coming up. They've got to get the right GM and coach in place to take advantage of Ryan's prime years. Hawks need to get a W in free agency in either 2020 or (hopefully) 2021. Braves should be around with that young core locked up, but it's going to take Liberty (or hopefully, a new owner all-together) to get them over the hump. 

It's disappointing, but, it's not hopeless.