jlrfalcon

Just a bad year for the Falcons? Braves? United? Hawks? Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets? Other?

57 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

This x1000.  How long before the lacrosse team's fans come here to brag about their championship too? :lol:. I've been to a World Cup, and lived overseas, and seen real soccer, so it's hilarious when these losers, who hadn't heard of MLS before 2016, pound their chests about Blank wasting his money on a superteam in a garbage league and some winning trophies no one's ever heard of from games that weren't even televised.  And despite all that patting themselves on the back, they CHOKED this year.

Plus, the local kickball team didn't put the American soccer league on the map.  David Beckham did.

It’s pointless to argue with them. They’ve convinced themselves that the Candy Stripes are the greatest team on the planet.  It’s like a fan of division 3 Mount Union college calling UGA football a bunch of losers cause they haven’t won as many national championships as they have.

Candy stripes are like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode where he’s bragging about how he is the king of the dojo. Reality is he’s beating up on a bunch of kids.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Godzilla1985
Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

The Hawks are a young team - they're still a couple of years away.

Bulldogs are not the same team from last year. Fromm is a little overated.

United is a prime example of there are no guarantees in sport. Everything about that team has been a success so far though.

The Falcons have issues... Culture, coaching, mindset, top heavy roster. It starts with the HC for me but this team needs to go through a rebuild/retool. There is talent on the roster but there's also an abundance of overpaid, middling vets who seem to be happy picking up their weekly pay packet. This team needs to start infusing young, hungry, talented players into the roster and take a more longer-term approach to building. Ever since MR2 has been here it's always felt like we're always a piece or two away and that we're capable of challenging every year. The target shouldn't be about putting together the best roster for 2020 but always looking a couple of years ahead. 

Godzilla1985 likes this

It's tough, really. I mean - Atlanta has expectations and we didn't meet them. It's one thing to expect dread and receive it; it's a heck of a lot more painful when you are expecting something and it doesn't happen.

First - let's not lump college teams into the ATL sports lexicon. Georgia Tech/GSU are in Atlanta, but they don't represent the city. UGA surely doesn't rep the city. Atlanta has one of the most diverse collegiate alumni bases in the country. It pulls in droves of folks from schools like Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Florida State, etc... I think that's what makes it, and Dallas, Texas so special. College football melting pots. When Georgia loses, there are likely a collection of SEC fans in the city that probably dig it. Again - I'm talking in the city of Atlanta.

This year has been one of the worst as an Atlanta sports fan in a while. Only 2013, 2007, and 2003 come to mind in recent memory as worse. The good news is, sports are cyclical. The other good news is, the Hawks, Falcons, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Braves have all the key components of what you need to compete for championships, regardless of temporary slides:

(1) A smart, focused, rich owner willing to do whatever it takes to win. The Hawks and Falcons have Blank and Ressler. They've built A+ practice facilities, and venues for players. There isn't a dime they won't spend on staff and roster personnel to get what they want. The Braves have Liberty Media, which, I think absolutely hamstrung their ability to get pitching in the bullpen at the deadline. They also employee Snitker, so, I don't really get what they're doing (despite the farm system. That's grade A.)

(2) A core nucleus: Falcons have Matt Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Grady, DeBo, Hooper, and a decent amount of young talent. They're an offseason away from the playoffs. It's the NFL. The Hawks might have the best young core of all with Trae, JC, Hunter, Reddish, and Huerter. Braves have Acuna, Freeman, Albies, Swanson, Soroka, Fried, etc... they're fine.

(3) Top-10 media market. Atlanta is the #9 biggest market in the US. So long as #1 is in play, this will always be a destination for athletes to consider. Again, #1 is a big deal though. The Falcons have been players in free agency for a while now, but, it wasn't always that way. Before Blank bought the team, Smith was cheap, and the culture was bad. The Atlanta Spirit Group is still a cuss word in my home. I'd be willing to be the Hawks could make some splashes now. The Braves (if Liberty would just spend the money it takes), is always a spot for ballplayers. 

Things are bad right now. But, I think there is hope. Falcons are going to have the most important off-season in franchise history coming up. They've got to get the right GM and coach in place to take advantage of Ryan's prime years. Hawks need to get a W in free agency in either 2020 or (hopefully) 2021. Braves should be around with that young core locked up, but it's going to take Liberty (or hopefully, a new owner all-together) to get them over the hump. 

It's disappointing, but, it's not hopeless. 

Also, read through the rest of the conversation:

(1) Atlanta United is a nice hobby to have in town

(2) The MLS is not even close to being one of the best league's in the world. That, coupled with some of the franchises that do exist being so financially strapped that they might fold, doesn't give much credence to the league

(3) I like that they win, can never have enough of that

(4) A Lombardi, Larry O'Brien, or WS trophy is, and I can't overstate this enough, is a significantly bigger deal than the MLS Cup. I saw the parade - there were twice as many people who went the the Falcons send-off parade to Houston

(5) I'll never understand what the AU fan inferiority complex is. Falcons fans, Hawks fans, and Braves fans all support each other, win or lose. Atlanta United loves to tout how great they are compared to our other fanbases, and how awesome the Benz is, forgetting that going to a soccer game is literally a 5th of the cost of a Falcons game, and that's without the PSL. The Falcons, their fans, and their sponsor are quite literally subsidizing their good time on gameday. 

I wasn't happy that Atlanta United lost this week. But, I did get a lot of gratification watching the 45K baristas and man-titted, craft beer beta-males have to deal with loss. Must be tough, being such a die-hard for 33 months. 

Edited by US-41 Falcon
Godzilla1985 and Dr Long Shot like this

3 hours ago, US-41 Falcon said:

Also, read through the rest of the conversation:

(1) Atlanta United is a nice hobby to have in town

(2) The MLS is not even close to being one of the best league's in the world. That, coupled with some of the franchises that do exist being so financially strapped that they might fold, doesn't give much credence to the league

(3) I like that they win, can never have enough of that

(4) A Lombardi, Larry O'Brien, or WS trophy is, and I can't overstate this enough, is a significantly bigger deal than the MLS Cup. I saw the parade - there were twice as many people who went the the Falcons send-off parade to Houston

(5) I'll never understand what the AU fan inferiority complex is. Falcons fans, Hawks fans, and Braves fans all support each other, win or lose. Atlanta United loves to tout how great they are compared to our other fanbases, and how awesome the Benz is, forgetting that going to a soccer game is literally a 5th of the cost of a Falcons game, and that's without the PSL. The Falcons, their fans, and their sponsor are quite literally subsidizing their good time on gameday. 

I wasn't happy that Atlanta United lost this week. But, I did get a lot of gratification watching the 45K baristas and man-titted, craft beer beta-males have to deal with loss. Must be tough, being such a die-hard for 33 months. 

The entity is not cash strapped and don’t assume you know MLS. MLS had two teams that folded in it’s phase 1. Phase 1 had no soccer specific stadiums except for Columbus and LA Galaxy. Those days are over. The attendance has grown and new teams have joined the league. Miami, Sacramento, Nashville, St.Louis are already awarded teams. Vegas is in-play and with Charlotte and Detroit as well. The investors want a peace of the pie because they can buy a new franchise for $150 million or so, and spend millions on the soccer stadium. Miami is going to be a big fish and Beckham wants it to be the Barcelona of MLS. He has the backing of a rich investor. Minnesota just opened their brand new stadium and so did DC United. 

We are in MLS 2.0 phase approaching 3.0 once all these new teams start playing. If you want to speak facts, then try to be more objective and knowledgeable. With MLS, you act like you know, but you don’t. 

shock likes this

On 31/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, shock said:

Oh go fu** yourself. The Campeones Cup was against the championship team in the top Mexican soccer league. 

The Mexican soccer league isn't much of a league. This coming from a Mexican. Neither MLS or the Mexican soccer league are top 10 leagues in the world. How many current international stars play in either league? That's a good barometer. 

Godzilla1985 likes this