Jump to content

Just a bad year for the Falcons? Braves? United? Hawks? Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets? Other?


jlrfalcon
 Share

Recommended Posts

First the positives?

1) The Falcons resigned Julio and Grady to extensions and have a lot of talent on the team

2) The Braves were actually not forecast to win the division but after a slow start easily did so

3) The Hawks added 2 more 1st round picks and have a great young nucleus around Young and Collins

4) The United became the champions of American soccer and gained local popularity

5) The Bulldogs were ranked pretty high behind Fromm even after losing multiple stars drafted high in the NFL draft

6) The Yellow Jackets finally said goodbye to their old coach and brought in new leadership

7) Georgia State beats Tennessee and appears to be a new force in town

 

However...

1) The Falcons are currently 1-7, have made minimal coaching/personnel changes, and still have 6 division games to lose?

2) The Braves collapsed in the first round with a 1st inning bashing like no other before and then watched the Nats win the World Series

3) The Hawks start off 2-0 behind an amazing Young only to see him go down in game 4 and appear a helpless team now?

4) The United has an open chance to repeat only to fall to Toronto

5) The Bulldogs lose to unranked South Carolina and have a chance for a national championship but only with no mistakes forward

6) The Yellow Jackets are not exactly winning anything big (good for Bulldogs?) yet

7) Georgia State still has a long way to go before it will get real national attention

 

There is always mention of a curse but this has really been such a bad year, one has to wonder?  I will probably just attribute it to being a bad series of events (injuries, balls bouncing the wrong way, etc.) but some of it should have been expected with bad coaching or player aging or poor trading/free agent signing.

Should Atlanta expect a rebound in 2020?  Was 2019 really not that bad? Was 2019 one of the worst Atlanta sports years ever?  

What teams does anyone expect to be better in 2020 - Braves? Hawks?

What teams does anyone expect to be worse in 2020 - Falcons? United?

What teams does anyone expect to be unchanged - Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t include United in with these other losers. They walked away with plenty of hardware this season including the US Open Cup and they became the first MLS team to win the Campeones Cup. They also got a spot in the CONCACAF this spring. All while losing their top player to the premier league and their head coach to the Mexico national team. 

Edited by shock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, shock said:

Don’t include United in with these other losers. They walked away with plenty of hardware this season including the US Open Cup and they became the first MLS team to win the Campeones Cup. They also got a spot in the CONCACAF this spring. All while losing their top player to the premier league and their head coach to the Mexico national team. 

If their competition wasn’t bush league it might be something to brag about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very excited about the Hawks. Their Young (pun intended) core is incredible and we'll have 2 first rounders in 2020. The two current longterm holes I see are backup PG and a true stud at Center. Fernando is going to be valuable for the young core as a rotational big and Alex Len offers good things as well, but we're going to need someone else eventually unless Fernando develops an defensive ability/rim protection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CTann said:

Very excited about the Hawks. Their Young (pun intended) core is incredible and we'll have 2 first rounders in 2020. The two current longterm holes I see are backup PG and a true stud at Center. Fernando is going to be valuable for the young core as a rotational big and Alex Len offers good things as well, but we're going to need someone else eventually unless Fernando develops an defensive ability/rim protection. 

Agree with your assessment. I’m thinking/hoping Len is gone after this year though tbh.

Edited by shock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bad year and one of the worst Octobers for Ga sports in a LONG time. Every team choked this month at the worst time. I mean at this point the sports year in general is over for all our teams, only the Hawks have a shot at anything worthwhile now and that is probably not going to happen.

Sucks that United fell to the Ga curse and choked on a stupid missed PK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Wow! Somebody has some seriously thin skin.  Congrats on your kickball team being the tallest midgets you ******* tool.

Seems the thin skinned ones are those that feel the need to bash the United every time they are brought up on here. 

If we’re going to rip the United because they wouldn’t  last in the Premier league, then let’s stop talking so much about SEC football because every NFL team would stomp them by 40

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

First the positives?

1) The Falcons resigned Julio and Grady to extensions and have a lot of talent on the team

2) The Braves were actually not forecast to win the division but after a slow start easily did so

3) The Hawks added 2 more 1st round picks and have a great young nucleus around Young and Collins

4) The United became the champions of American soccer and gained local popularity

5) The Bulldogs were ranked pretty high behind Fromm even after losing multiple stars drafted high in the NFL draft

6) The Yellow Jackets finally said goodbye to their old coach and brought in new leadership

7) Georgia State beats Tennessee and appears to be a new force in town

 

However...

1) The Falcons are currently 1-7, have made minimal coaching/personnel changes, and still have 6 division games to lose?

2) The Braves collapsed in the first round with a 1st inning bashing like no other before and then watched the Nats win the World Series

3) The Hawks start off 2-0 behind an amazing Young only to see him go down in game 4 and appear a helpless team now?

4) The United has an open chance to repeat only to fall to Toronto

5) The Bulldogs lose to unranked South Carolina and have a chance for a national championship but only with no mistakes forward

6) The Yellow Jackets are not exactly winning anything big (good for Bulldogs?) yet

7) Georgia State still has a long way to go before it will get real national attention

 

There is always mention of a curse but this has really been such a bad year, one has to wonder?  I will probably just attribute it to being a bad series of events (injuries, balls bouncing the wrong way, etc.) but some of it should have been expected with bad coaching or player aging or poor trading/free agent signing.

Should Atlanta expect a rebound in 2020?  Was 2019 really not that bad? Was 2019 one of the worst Atlanta sports years ever?  

What teams does anyone expect to be better in 2020 - Braves? Hawks?

What teams does anyone expect to be worse in 2020 - Falcons? United?

What teams does anyone expect to be unchanged - Bulldogs? Yellow Jackets?

Considering Atl United lost its 2nd best player, had a coaching change, and started the season like 0-2-5 and still became 2nd seed and made the eastern conference finals.. id say they had a pretty successful season. I would not lump them in with the likes of the others after a championship season last year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Seems the thin skinned ones are those that feel the need to bash the United every time they are brought up on here. 

If we’re going to rip the United because they wouldn’t  last in the Premier league, then let’s stop talking so much about SEC football because every NFL team would stomp them by 40

Oh no he came into this thread unprovoked bashing every team in the state to prop up a minor league team.  Then when I called a spade a spade he flips his **** and tells me to **** off.

 

And a more appropriate comparison of United vs the premier league would be Division 3 college team to the NFL.  MLS is AT BEST the 10th best soccer league. It is demonstrably more difficult for the teams he insulted to win their DIVISIONS than it is to win an MLS Cup. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Oh no he came into this thread unprovoked bashing every team in the state to prop up a minor league team.  Then when I called a spade a spade he flips his **** and tells me to **** off.

 

And a more appropriate comparison of United vs the premier league would be Division 3 college team to the NFL.  MLS is AT BEST the 10th best soccer league. It is demonstrably more difficult for the teams he insulted to win their DIVISIONS than it is to win an MLS Cup. 

I didn’t tell you to **** off. I told you to go **** yourself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

It is demonstrably more difficult for the teams he insulted to win their DIVISIONS than it is to win an MLS Cup. 

Go ahead and keep talking out of your ***. 
 

Though I don’t really care about MLB or college football so my comment wasn’t really directed at those Atlanta teams. To be honest I should’ve directed the “losers” bit solely to the Falcons. Because I absolutely love the Hawks and what they’ve been building since Schlenk has shown up. So I will apologize for not being more specific if you’re defending any of the teams besides the Falcons. 

Edited by shock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...