Smiler11

The Consolidated Trade, Cap space and cuts guide for 2019 and 2020

526 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, The Don™ said:

Quinn tells TD and scouting staff what he wants in players. TD scouts those players and comes back to DQ with those players scouted

Here is the point so few understand.

falconsd56 likes this

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Let me ask it another way.

If Julio and Ryan are as great as we all think and going to occupy 25% of the CAP, do they really need to be surrounded by three additional first round picks over the last two years?  Do they require an All Pro Center, Pro Bowl LT, Pro Bowl RB and Pro Bowl TE.  It’s an embarrassment of riches.  No offense needs that much talent and resources in order to be great

Center just needs to be a non-liability and help at minimum in the run game/with protections and calls presnap.

RB doesn’t have to be PB caliber IF your OL is solidified and you go RBBC like Kyle in SF.

Imagine Ryan or Julio on SF right now. They’d be 100% NFC SB favorites if you think it’s less an argument now with other teams. Only exception is NE in AFC. Chiefs vs 49ers D would be the only other threat. Brady trying to survive their pass rush?

IMO, the keys are LT and QB. A luxury WR can work as long as the D is serviceable. You don’t have to have superstar contracts everywhere..

Just think of Tru’s money being spent elsewhere this year. Or even a guy like Jalen Ramsey for the same contract! 

A replacement C on a rookie deal. A RBBC without a contract the size Free is on now.

All of that with a $13M option price for Vic? No wonder the roster is underperforming. If you pay certain guys for a year or to keep them they should be worth it.

Jake isn’t the best but averaging at above average to PB caliber is worth it.

QB is worth it. HoF caliber despite everything OTHER than offensive weapons usually being against him.

And Julio, should be the key that puts a solid team without holes over the top like in close matchups otherwise; he and Kyle helped facilitate Matt to MVP and what should have been a ring. Free and Tru got paid after. Even Jake.

Hooper can fit given the money shift coming and we really would be better off had the previous Round 1-3 D picks from 15-18 worked by now.

^That is where cutting losses and going for stopgap vet signings is a smart move. They had the idea with Davison and Bailey for run D but should have kept going and gotten a Clay Matthews etc. cousins reunion etc for a 2 year manageable deal.

^Or even a Houston 1 year price instead of Vic..of course to be OBJECTIVELY fair those guys found their current team AFTER it was guaranteed on Vic’s contract; point of no return.

They thought he was someone to worry about losing and not getting a 1 year stop gap at DE...there were others and we made an egregious mistake there.

Put it all together? TD and DQ both deserve blame.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
f!x3d
JDaveG and FalconsIn2012 like this

10 hours ago, vitaman said:

I wonder what they saw in Quinn either during his interview, or observing his body of work, that would lead them to give him so much authority and control over the team.

He just seems like a natural middle management type guy with DC being his lofty height of achievement level.

As a comparison, Shanny exudes quiet natural thinker and leader.

90% of TAFT and most nfl ‘experts’ loved the Quinn hire. I did too.

And many of same 90% hated Shanny 2nd half of 2015 season....and turned on him big time after SB 51.

15 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

I don't consider Petrino an example of a disciplinarian. He was a ******* psychopathic coward.

Coughlin got 2 rings, potential players revolt or not.

If the Falcons continue to hire slogan master head coaches who are player-friendly, and expect different results from what they've been getting, then they'll always be a bottom tier team. 

Petrino is at another level. He should be HS coach. 
BB is not really disciplinarian, but he has the team well prepared on smart football, X and Os. Sure he benches non performing players but hard from tough coach or shouting on players. He makes it clear what their job is and they execute.

The Don™ and GhostofGritz like this

36 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Let me ask it another way.

If Julio and Ryan are as great as we all think and going to occupy 25% of the CAP, do they really need to be surrounded by three additional first round picks over the last two years?  Do they require an All Pro Center, Pro Bowl LT, Pro Bowl RB and Pro Bowl TE.  It’s an embarrassment of riches.  No offense needs that much talent and resources in order to be great

Blame it on the new CBA in 2011 when rookie cap limits were passed. It’s not uncommon for teams to be top heavy. Rich got richer and average players replaced with rookies.

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

90% of TAFT and most nfl ‘experts’ loved the Quinn hire.

And many of same 90% hated Shanny 2nd half of 2015 season. 

Geez this place hated and made fun of Shanahan from Feb 2017 through today. 

Vandy likes this

16 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Here is the point so few understand.

I’ve been prty bullish on wanting new leadership across board (TD) included bc I felt we needed a culture change but if this is how it works and TDs group is accurately scouting and telling DQ that these guys are marginal at best but being overridden by DQs wants/needs then I say let TD do his job if new coach wants to keep him but I’d leave it to new regime and Rich McKay shouldn’t get near anything football related.  

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

Geez this place hated and made fun of Shanahan from Feb 2017 through today. 

They are the herd. Majority of TAFT in plenty of threads during that offseason said he was stupid for costing us a super bowl and running away to SF to work with Owner York. 

Now he’s a god.

This is what the herd always does.

PokerSteve, Jesus, JDaveG and 2 others like this

11 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Yeah, because picking the most extreme example as the standard really solidifies your argument. :rolleyes:

I am just saying that we have been down that "disciplinarian" route.

So have many other teams who have failed.

I think we just need to focus on a good football coach..

I think Quinn can still be that guy but it may be time for a new voice.

GhostofGritz likes this

TD has got to go. I said don't re-sign Trufant, Freeman (I would rather have Coleman), but he did. I said re-sign someone like Bruce Irvin or sign Justin Houston and have money leftover instead of picking up the option on Beasley. Too many moves where he made boneheaded decisions and needs to go.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

TD has got to go. I said don't re-sign Trufant, Freeman (I would rather have Coleman), but he did. I said re-sign someone like Bruce Irvin or sign Justin Houston and have money leftover instead of picking up the option on Beasley. Too many moves where he made boneheaded decisions and needs to go.

Are you maneuvering to take his place? Sounds like it....

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I am just saying that we have been down that "disciplinarian" route.

So have many other teams who have failed.

I think we just need to focus on a good football coach..

I think Quinn can still be that guy but it may be time for a new voice.

I think Quinn has lost this team, maybe through no fault of his own.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, GhostofGritz said:

I think Quinn has lost this team, maybe through no fault of his own.

Reality is Gritz he lost this team when he froze up last 5 minutes SB 51.

GhostofGritz likes this

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

That could be, Vandy. It's hard to know exactly when it happened, but it's clear Quinn is a lame-duck HC at this point.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, Embrace the suck said:

Funny thing is every team plays with some injuries. I am sure Teco, their LT Staley, RT , Dee Ford, and stellar good old super star stud Toilolo all missed some time with injuries. No excuses every team has injuries to their none critical players. 

I hope we can all agree there’s no excuses for this year, for sure.

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I don't buy that.....we made it back to the playoffs the next year and last year through all of the injuries we still could have been 10-6 if a few plays shake out differently....the team still fought hard.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I don't buy that.....we made it back to the playoffs the next year and last year through all of the injuries we still could have been 10-6 if a few plays shake out differently....the team still fought hard.

We've been on a steady decline since 28-3, we have shown the same issues since then and now all these issues have completely come to a head.

The Don™ and GhostofGritz like this

2 hours ago, vafalconfan said:

Thanks for posting "Shultz's notes" because I could care less what Aaron Freeman thinks

Yeah, I find myself disagreeing with at least half the things A. Freeman spews on twitter. He tries so hard to be different but comes up flat.

falconsd56 likes this

9 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But it was a clear downward spiral. Even in 2017, we lost a lot of games (Buffalo/Miami) we had no business losing. Especially That last one, to a nick Foles-led eagles game 

20 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Are you maneuvering to take his place? Sounds like it....

No, but there would've been better draft picks and the salary cap/roster would've looked healtier if some knowledgable fans ran the team over the past few years instead of TD.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

No, but there would've been better draft picks and the salary cap/roster would've looked healtier if some knowledgable fans ran the team over the past few years instead of TD.

I know. Just messin’

43 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

What's the excuse this year then? The only excuse that held water and was proven right was in '15 when Shanny basically said if we stop the redzone turnovers and everybody would trust his system, the offense would work. Guess what, it did '16. 

Since then, it's been a steady decline with no consistency or semblance of what kind of team we are anymore.