Smiler11

Fixing the Falcons Part 1 - Front Office and Coaches

526 posts in this topic

Ok these notes are great, I appreciate Schultz giving us the insider scoop, but what does Vic Beasley have to do with the o-line letting Matt Ryan get sacked 5 times against LA? And the week before that against Arizona, Freeman had like 19 yards rushing, all game. That's lack of talent, period. While I dont disagree with all this Quinn is too soft speak, I think these notes sound like they come from a upper level exec trying to mask the fact that the Falcons talent on the roster is very very poor. 

16 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

We need to wait and see if any one other than Schultz gets the whole scoop. Either ways, AB is most likely to fire both. 

I keep hearing how credible Schultz is, but, yeah, this is one I wanna see corroborated because it’s just so asinine on its face.

falcons007 and Godzilla1985 like this

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Stand your ground bro, the majority of posters here are completely clueless when it comes to football.. They just enjoy the argument, the rest are totally delusional.. None of them are worth worrying about because they never admit how wrong they are 

That’s why I’m posting this. This is all old info and I shared it. They didn’t like the sound, so. I don’t care anymore. If I get info there is a select few that I share with. Bottom line.

6 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep. His first year they went into the last game of the season with a shot at the playoffs finishing 9-7 after going 17-31 under Gregg Williams. They were top 10 in scoring on offense and #2 in defense.

Problem was it was with Drew Bledsoe (who admittedly was on the downside of his career) and they had drafted JP Losman out of the blue in the 1st round so the front office wanted to see what they had. 

Bledsoe gets shipped out, JP gets handed the job and they go 5-11. They were gonna let him so into his 3rd if he woulda thrown a couple of his assistants under the bus. Mularkey decided to take a walk instead.

Speaking of Gregg Williams, maybe we should hire him as head coach, and have him put bounties on players that aren’t performing. 

JDaveG likes this

48 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I'll hit on this real quick

Think how other players felt when they probably already knew Vic didn't care about football but then saw his $13 million option get picked up. I could easily see guys in the locker room think to themselves "well, I guess I don't have to work as hard either to get paid"...I could see others say "he didn't deserve that" and basically tune out Q and the coaching staff because clear favorites are being played. 

Plain and simple, it was a toxic move for the rest of the locker room to pick up that option when Vic truly doesn't care about football.

Yep. That's why I speak so much on precedent on here when it comes to players and locker room. They aren't counting each others pockets, but they definitely saw how little work Vic puts in and how much he is getting paid. It's human. 

I mean take a guy like Neasman. No reason he shouldn't be getting playing time. The RBs have been on the shelf for no reason. Grace and Foye just chilling on the bench. Stuff like that. Guys busting their butts and it doesn't matter. If you are one of DQ's guys (i.e. 2016 SB) then you're good. 

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep. His first year they went into the last game of the season with a shot at the playoffs finishing 9-7 after going 17-31 under Gregg Williams. They were top 10 in scoring on offense and #2 in defense.

Problem was it was with Drew Bledsoe (who admittedly was on the downside of his career) and they had drafted JP Losman out of the blue in the 1st round so the front office wanted to see what they had. 

Bledsoe gets shipped out, JP gets handed the job and they go 5-11. They were gonna let him so into his 3rd if he woulda thrown a couple of his assistants under the bus. Mularkey decided to take a walk instead.

Yep. That’s how I remember it. I think they traded up to get JP in 2004 and gave up 2005. I  heard MM didn’t like that either. It’s just weird he quit with both Titans and Bills. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Yep. That’s how I remember it. I think they traded up to get JP in 2004 and gave up 2005. I  heard MM didn’t like that either. It’s just weird he quit with both Titans and Bills. 

He got fired from the Titans didn’t he ... and that was after upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City in the playoffs, or am I misremembering that?

falcons007 likes this

19 minutes ago, isproab said:

I don't see many personalities that would hold someone's feet to the fire if they were half steppin'. Falcons just don't go for those abrasive types. Grady brings it on the field. I don't think Debo has been running to the ball like he has previously. I had the thought about guys playing to get paid and slacking off. 

There needs to be a culture shift. From the front office to the field. 

With the right coach it won’t take too long. We saw in 2008 when Smitty took over. The Culture changed. Same with SF when Harbaugh took over or Rams with a McVay. 

25 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I say let Mularkey get a crack at it after the bye. If he runs the table let it be his job to lose. I like him better than some of the other retreads and not-yet-ready-for-primetime names I’ve heard bandied about.

And yeah I know it’s difficult to get excited for a guy getting his fourth chance at it, but I can make a case for MM being the most star-crossed head coach in NFL history. From Buffalo where he had JP Losman forced on him when he wanted to stay with Bledsoe, then wouldn’t throw his assistants under the bus to Jacksonville where the team got sold after his first year, this dude has had terrible luck with every organization.

Ehh... He wasn't great with Tennessee. I'd be fine with keeping him as TE coach, but IDK about HC. 

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He got fired from the Titans didn’t he ... and that was after upsetting the Chiefs in Kansas City in the playoffs, or am I misremembering that?

They were in extension talks and the owner said he will stay. Few days later the press release said they parted mutually. It was just weird. I was in Nashville that week, it was crazy talk on radio. The owner wanted Terry Robiskie fired, MM said no,

Just now, falcons007 said:

They were in extension talks and the owner said he will stay. Few days later the press release said they parted mutually. It was just weird. I was in Nashville that week, it was crazy talk on radio. 

Because he got that team as far as they could go with the talent they had. Exotic smash mouth was ok but the way he had the offense operating was not built for 2018 football. They made the right move letting him go. They stumbled and bumbled to a 9-7 record. That playoff win would have clouded all judgement. 

falcons007 likes this

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Ehh... He wasn't great with Tennessee. I'd be fine with keeping him as TE coach, but IDK about HC. 

Tennessee wasn’t exactly flush with talent during that time. Pretty bad if I remember correctly.

I wonder if Vic has any pride as a man. Forget football player. Teams won't even give a 7th for you and the public is saying you're soft. Personally I lost respect for him after he retweeted the 28-3 joke after he didn't even show up during that playoff run.

Stray Dog THA GAWD and JDaveG like this

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Because he got that team as far as they could go with the talent they had. Exotic smash mouth was ok but the way he had the offense operating was not built for 2018 football. They made the right move letting him go. They stumbled and bumbled to a 9-7 record. That playoff win would have clouded all judgement. 

I don’t think he would work here but he got that team farther than any one. Vrabel is terrible compared to MM.

3 minutes ago, Emmitt said:

Tennessee wasn’t exactly flush with talent during that time. Pretty bad if I remember correctly.

They lost to the Raiders, Dolphins, and Cardinals that year. They kept trying to force Demarco Murray to be a thing. They had a very complete offense but bottled it completely up. Passing game lacked any level of creativity. Worse than we're seeing this season. They severely under achieved. 

3 minutes ago, vel said:

I’m out there in the tall weeds with this one. I’ll admit it. I just remember what dire straights that organization was in when he took over. And the way he steadied the ship.

That, and I like a consistent personality who ain’t afraid to hurt anyone’s feelings. Like one of the first things he did was strip Taylor Lewan of his captainsy... and Lewan just took it. :lol:

I’m all for finding someone better if they’re out there. I’m just ready for a culture change. It’s worse than I thought.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

They were in extension talks and the owner said he will stay. Few days later the press release said they parted mutually. It was just weird. I was in Nashville that week, it was crazy talk on radio. The owner wanted Terry Robiskie fired, MM said no,

Yeah, that’s it. Now I remember. Robiskie was in the middle of it. 

It was weird. 

I remember them asking him at the podium after they beat the Chiefs if he felt like he had a vote of confidence from the organization and he said no... then they did give him a vote of confidence, then they got smoked by the Patriots then that was all she wrote. 

Guy’s got character, I’ll give him that. DQ got rid of everybody :lol: MM said I’m riding for my guys.

12 minutes ago, vel said:

That exotic smashmouth was some horse****. I don’t remember it being exotic at all, but I do remember it was the last time I can remember Marcus Mariota had me thinking he could actually be a starting QB — even though he got a little turnover happy.

vel and Knight of God like this

Of all those things listed the one im hoping isn't true the most is Debo not taking leadership and shutting it down after getting paid.  He is probably the best player we have on this defense outside of maybe Grady.  If debo shuts it down thats gonna be a massive pill to swallow.  Although i still see him playing hard out there myself most the time.  So i don't think that one is quite as true as it's led to believe. 

35 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Wow, so MM has some nuts then. 

11 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

So injuries count then???

Cool Quinn is in the clear then.

Lol,

The ridiculous excuses run deep with you huh? Was Matt Ryan out the entire season?