Smiler11

Fixing the Falcons Part 1 - Front Office and Coaches

526 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

What sucks the most is the fact that it got worse and worse after '16. It took three seasons for everything to finally fall apart. 

'17 was ok but the issues that we have right now starting surfacing. '18 was a scapegoat year for DQ with the coordinator firings and injuries even though you saw more issues surfacing. '19 has been a culmination of everything and the issues are all in plain sight

It sucks because it was death by a thousand knife cuts instead of a headshot.

Injuries last year were red herring. There were obviously deeper issues with the whole team and it all collapsed this year.  I have said it from late last season, DQ is gonna bet his job on Vic and it will decide his fate. 

Toxic and I don't believe it had to be done to get the other guys signed. It may have helped, but that extra 13mm would have helped as well. 

Plus VB 's butt could have been traded last year when we had a chance and then we don't have to worry about that at all.

VB isn't the cause of everything that went wrong, but he sure is a danged good example of all of our coaching/GM flaws.

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Toxic and I don't believe it had to be done to get the other guys signed. It may have helped, but that extra 13mm would have helped as well. 

Plus VB 's butt could have been traded last year when we had a chance and then we don't have to worry about that at all.

VB isn't the cause of everything that went wrong, but he sure is a danged good example of all of our coaching/GM flaws.

We could have had both Mathews and Justin Houston for the money paid to Vic. Probably veteran guys would have lit some fire under young guys.

• People within organization say Mularkey or Raheem Morris would be interim head coach.
  • Mularkey is tougher and has reputation for being a hard @$$. Wants to see if players will respond differently to interim.
  • Surprised Campbell wasn't traded. Falcons were willing to pay half of Beasley's money. Nobody wanted him.
  • Trufant was too expensive right now to be traded
  • Whispers that Freeman will be cut in offseason. June 1 designation possibly
  • Wants to see trade deadline moved back to late November
  • Quinn truly thought he could turn around Beasley. 
  • Quinn tells TD and scouting staff what he wants in players. TD scouts those players and comes back to DQ with those players scouted
  • Picking up Beasley's option was significant factor in getting Julio and Grady signed as well
  • Questions Beasley's football desire
  • Takk needs to grow up. After Julio's speech, Takk took that speech personally. Thinks Takk brings something for next coaching staff

^All of that, aside from losing accountability; is why Quinn gets fired now.

If an interim can’t get anything noteworthy out of certain players on the roster before the season ends, TD is likely gone if not already...TD may be saved if DQ’s lack of coaching has hurt more than his selection of “DQ requested players”...

39 minutes ago, The Don™ said:
  • People within organization say Mularkey or Raheem Morris would be interim head coach.
  • Mularkey is tougher and has reputation for being a hard @$$. Wants to see if players will respond differently to interim.

I’ve been on the let DQ finish the season train, but I like the idea of Mularkey. That Tennessee locker room really responded to him when he took over after Whisenhunt got canned in the middle of the season. Always thought that organization gave him a raw deal.

Great post. Echoes what we’ve been seeing for a while. Too many of the wrong guys in the locker room and no one to weed them out. It’s ashame really, but DQ’s got no one to blame but himself.

2 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

It was a significant factor apparently. Not saying Grady and Julio wouldn't been signed if Vic's option wasn't picked up

But according to Schultz, it was TD that basically told DQ that picking up Vic's option would help with Grady's and Julio's contract. To what extent, Schultz didn't say or doesn't know.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’ve been on the let DQ finish the season train, but I like the idea of Mularkey. That Tennessee locker room really responded to him when he took over after Whisenhunt got canned in the middle of the season. Always thought that organization gave him a raw deal.

Great post. Echoes what we’ve been seeing for a while. Too many of the wrong guys in the locker room and no one to weed them out. It’s ashame really, but DQ’s got no one to blame but himself.

Does TD survive if an interim gets results; define “results” as certain underperforming players or not utilized players stepping up?

We have seen this motivation alone doesn’t work in NFL. You need to make sure players work hard, smart and prepared on right X and Os. The more players are in right position, they can make plays and win. We have seen this play out with Raheem Morris in Tampa, Singletary in SF and Chuck Pagona in Indy. 
I am all for MM, who may not be flexible but no nonsense guy.

The Don™ and Emmitt like this

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I like MM as an old school, tough, no nonsense coach. Long term? Probably not. But you need guys like MM on staff.

He's always been my choice for interim.

2 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

It was a significant factor apparently. Not saying Grady and Julio wouldn't been signed if Vic's option wasn't picked up

But according to Schultz, it was TD that basically told DQ that picking up Vic's option would help with Grady's and Julio's contract. To what extent, Schultz didn't say or doesn't know.

You might think that could get TD fired IF it weren’t a league practice apparently...

:shrug:

4 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

DQ has complete control over the roster. DQ thought he could coach him up and bet his job on it. Sounds to me DQ is shifting some blame on to TD. DQ has said in multiple interviews on how excited he is back to coaching the DL and Vic will turn it around.

5 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Does TD survive if an interim gets results; define “results” as certain underperforming players or not utilized players stepping up?

I would bet TD is gone too. But what AB said in Feb, about evaluating TD and DQ separately makes it muddier. 

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

If there’s any truth that TD pushed picking up Beasley’s option to appease CAA, in the sport where agents don’t wield nearly as much power as other sports — and it’s starting to feel like it is — then he needs to go right along with DQ.

I can’t express just how chicken**** that is for you to bow down like that in the ONE sport where the organization holds the cards. 

Hopefully Arthur has seen enough because it’s more than obvious now. He skated when Smitty got bounced. I can’t (fingers crossed) see him doing it again.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

DQ has complete control over the roster. DQ thought he could coach him up and bet his job on it. Sounds to me DQ is shifting some blame on to TD. DQ has said in multiple interviews on how excited he is back to coaching the DL and Vic will turn it around.

Well yeah he will say that in public. I think there's more to this whole Vic situation than meets the eye. Vic was Quinn's first pick so you have that too. Even then though, Vic's football desire was questioned and we still picked him. It's a messy situation. I'm just glad Vic will be gone.

2 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

Well yeah he will say that in public. I think there's more to this whole Vic situation than meets the eye. Vic was Quinn's first pick so you have that too. Even then though, Vic's football desire was questioned and we still picked him. It's a messy situation. I'm just glad Vic will be gone.

There is more to it probably but buck stops with DQ. I would need to hear the favor to CAA story from some one not named Schultz.

The Don™ and PokerSteve like this

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

If there’s any truth that TD pushed picking up Beasley’s option to appease CAA, in the sport where agents don’t wield nearly as much power as other sports — and it’s starting to feel like it is — then he needs to go right along with DQ.

I can’t express just how chicken**** that is for you to bow down like that in the ONE sport where the organization holds the cards. 

Hopefully Arthur has seen enough because it’s more than obvious now. He skated when Smitty got bounced. I can’t (fingers crossed) see him doing it again.

We need to wait and see if any one other than Schultz gets the whole scoop. Either ways, AB is most likely to fire both. 

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

TD is a snake. TD's and Smitty's relationship over Smitty's last two years went downhill. This according to Smitty in his book.

It's speculated from that, that TD leaked that Smitty was going to be fired no matter the outcome of that last Panthers game.

JDaveG, Emmitt, Schwarzwald and 3 others like this

6 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I like MM as an old school, tough, no nonsense coach. Long term? Probably not. But you need guys like MM on staff.

He's always been my choice for interim.

I say let Mularkey get a crack at it after the bye. If he runs the table let it be his job to lose. I like him better than some of the other retreads and not-yet-ready-for-primetime names I’ve heard bandied about.

And yeah I know it’s difficult to get excited for a guy getting his fourth chance at it, but I can make a case for MM being the most star-crossed head coach in NFL history. From Buffalo where he had JP Losman forced on him when he wanted to stay with Bledsoe, then wouldn’t throw his assistants under the bus to Jacksonville where the team got sold after his first year, this dude has had terrible luck with every organization.

MSalmon, falcons007, Emmitt and 4 others like this

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I say let Mularkey get a crack at it after the bye. If he runs the table let it be his job to lose. I like him better than some of the other retreads and not-yet-ready-for-primetime names I’ve heard bandied about.

And yeah I know it’s difficult to get excited for a guy getting his fourth chance at it, but I can make a case for MM being the most star-crossed head coach in NFL history. From Buffalo where he had JP Losman forced on him when he wanted to stay with Bledsoe, then wouldn’t throw his assistants under the bus to Jacksonville where the team got sold after his first year, this dude has had terrible luck with every organization.

If I remember correctly the last winning season for Buf before 2017 was with MM. he quit because of the differences on his staff with owner in Buffalo too. 

52 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

No **** Sherlock.., .. it was obvious on the side lines who cared..I will question Debo and Grady as leaders too. Grady is a great player but he should be ripping the whole DL. 

I don't see many personalities that would hold someone's feet to the fire if they were half steppin'. Falcons just don't go for those abrasive types. Grady brings it on the field. I don't think Debo has been running to the ball like he has previously. I had the thought about guys playing to get paid and slacking off. 

There needs to be a culture shift. From the front office to the field. 

45 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Again, I was flamed for saying that about TD before

Stand your ground bro, the majority of posters here are completely clueless when it comes to football.. They just enjoy the argument, the rest are totally delusional.. None of them are worth worrying about because they never admit how wrong they are 

Knight of God and Nino11 like this

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

If I remember correctly the last winning season for Buf before 2007 was with MM. he quit because of the differences on his staff with owner in Buffalo too. 

Yep. His first year they went into the last game of the season with a shot at the playoffs finishing 9-7 after going 17-31 under Gregg Williams. They were top 10 in scoring on offense and #2 in defense.

Problem was it was with Drew Bledsoe (who admittedly was on the downside of his career) and they had drafted JP Losman out of the blue in the 1st round so the front office wanted to see what they had. 

Bledsoe gets shipped out, JP gets handed the job and they go 5-11. They were gonna let him so into his 3rd if he woulda thrown a couple of his assistants under the bus. Mularkey decided to take a walk instead.