Smiler11

Fixing the Falcons Part 1 - Front Office and Coaches

526 posts in this topic

Makes sense if we aren't gonna get cap relief and could net a better compensatory pick for 2021.

Logic is sound.

Falcons could eat half of VB's remaining money and roll it to 2020 tho...will a team bite and offer a 5th or 6th doing that?

That's a big part of the reason we can't move Vic. A team wanted to throw a 3rd at him last year and could have let him walk after paying him much less. Of course, we could have used that 3rd rounder this year...and the $13M in space.:bang:

2 minutes ago, athell said:

No cap savings + comp pick would be higher = retain him

We need to make sound business decisions right now, not get rid of sacrificial goats just because.

That remains to be seen. Chad Forbes dont know what Campbell's contract offers are gonna be.

athell and Schwarzwald like this

Just now, FentayeJones said:

That remains to be seen. Chad Forbes dont know what Campbell's contract offers are gonna be.

True...but it also indicates that the picks in return may not be great.  ie he may be hearing 6th and 7th.  I dunno...even still, no cap space relief is a big deal.

10 minutes ago, athell said:

We need to make sound business decisions right now, not get rid of sacrificial goats just because.

Ya, the time to move Vic was last year. Just way harder with asking teams to pay a worthwhile capital and eat the cap space for us.

Let him and Vondre walk if we aren't getting a 4th or 5th this next draft; without any cap relief. :shrug:

Edited by Ergo Proxy
athell likes this

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Ya, the time to move Vic was last year. Just way harder with asking teams to pay a worthwhile capital and eat the cap space for us.

Let him and Vondre walk if we aren't getting a 4th this next draft. :shrug:

Kinda makes me sick to think we could have had another 3rd for Vic...

13 minutes ago, athell said:

Would depend on the pick and how much instant gratification that we want.

Remember we would not get any comp pick until 2021.

I would almost rather have a round lower but have it in 2020

PokerSteve and athell like this

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Would depend on the pick and how much instant gratification that we want.

Remember we would not get any comp pick until 2021.

I would almost rather have a round lower but have it in 2020

Yea, lots of variables.  I'm more worried about the cap relief for next year tbh, and if there is none...and the potential is there for a higher pick via comp formula, I'm holding on to him.  But that's me.

kiwifalcon likes this

Just now, athell said:

Yea, lots of variables.  I'm more worried about the cap relief for next year tbh, and if there is none...and the potential is there for a higher pick via comp formula, I'm holding on to him.  But that's me.

Can't fault the logic either way IMO.

athell likes this

54 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Campbell looked pretty good in 2017. It was also about the last time anybody on our defense not named Grady Jarrett. looked good.

He can be salvaged.

Perhaps, but after being on the Quinn Swiss Cheese Defense he'll need prolonged, professional rehabilitation. :ninja::lol:

rounz likes this

59 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Campbell looked pretty good in 2017. It was also about the last time anybody on our defense not named Grady Jarrett. looked good.

He can be salvaged.

He was never really good. The guy couldn't rush the passer, was average at best in coverage and couldn't tackle well either.

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

He can be salvaged.

Nah...it looked good for the half that is was healthy last year.