FalconsIn2012

Outside The Box: Joe Burrow

85 posts in this topic

In a league where the marriage between franchise QB and salary CAP balance is difficult to manage, it’s a gift to get afranchise quarterback on a five-year rookie deal. It allows you to spend heavily on the rest of your roster and build a Super Bowl caliber team quickly. Enter Joe Burrow.

This is an exercise in outside the box thinking so please don’t take it personally. I am as big of Matt Ryan fan as there is on the planet. But I like the Falcons more.  Rarely can a team draft a franchise QB without having to use lots of draft capital to do so.  This opportunity may present itself for us.

Burrow is going to be special. He has Ryan’s work ethic and IQ. His touch and accuracy on deep balls is uncommon and his manipulation of the defense inside the red zone is unbelievable. If he is available when we pick, is it worth pulling the trigger?  Discuss

Analysis:  “The 6-foot-4 Burrow has completed 78.8 percent of his passes for 2,805 yards, 30 touchdowns and four interceptions for unbeaten and second-ranked LSU.

Burrow has sustained elite play every game for half a season,” Pro Football Focus wrote in its report of Burrow. "He’s torched one of the best secondaries in college football. He’s got a stronger arm and quicker release that Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa.

“We’ve never seen a quarterback with a higher passing grade through the first seven weeks of the season. He may not be at the top of boards right now, but he’s shooting his way up there.”

Where He Wins (+)

Like a golfer, Burrow knows exactly when to bring which club out of the bag in order to reach desired destinations as accurately to the target as possible. He mixes up his speeds often depending on the structure and type of throw urgency required. Keen with exhibiting awareness of knowing when to put touch on the ball to loft it into certain areas while also having the wherewithal of adding extra ferocity behind passes to fit them through tight spaces.

Always seeming to be poised, even when facing pressure, Burrow’s feet remain calm. There’s rarely ever a sense of panic to his game and he always has an answer to what the defense presents him. He keeps the offense in advantageous situations by hitting check downs or simply running to stay ahead of the chains. The Tigers quarterback has a mental clock that is timely and even when it expires, gaining happy feet is hardly ever present. Throwing to outlets or staring down the barrel to deliver passes have been recurring occurrences.

An average athlete, but has more than enough mobility in order to protect himself. Burrow won’t win many races in a straight line against second and third level defenders, but he’s very slippery with evading pressure in the pocket. Aware with knowing how to attack and completely avoid pressure from all angles, he has a full arsenal of escape moves that allow for added off-schedule opportunities from the pocket and on the run outside of it.

He makes some of his best throws coming off of slight or extended play-action fakes. Burrow is quick to reset his eyes following fakes and discipline enough to take what the defense gives him directly off of it.

Watch the accuracy on 25+ balls and redzone work.  These LSU WR’s are legit, too

Also love that LSU stole Coach Brady from the Saints to be Burrow ‘s OC.  Maybe he can join Burrow in the ATL

7 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

It's just not the right year to do it unfortunately.

No doubt Ryan has several more great years in him.  But can a lesser QB win with Julio, Ridley, Hooper, Gage, Mack, Matthews, and two 1st round lineman?  Schaub’s performance says yes,

It wastes a year because of the dead money that would accompany trading Ryan.  But we could get great trade value for him and open up a ton of CAP Space in 2021 moving forward

PokerSteve and Atl Falcon like this

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

It's just not the right year to do it unfortunately.

I agree.

I don't think the Falcons will be looking at drafting another QB for another 2 years or so.

With that said, it all depends on who the next HC could possibly be and how they view the QB position if the Falcons were to have the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall pick. I'd personally like the thought of getting Chase Young, but it is possible that a new HC could see a potential Aaron Rodgers like situation by drafting a top QB.

....you never know.

PokerSteve and FalconsIn2012 like this

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I agree.

I don't think the Falcons will be looking at drafting another QB for another 2 years or so.

With that said, it all depends on who the next HC could possibly be and how they view the QB position if the Falcons were to have the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd overall pick. I'd personally like the thought of getting Chase Young, but it is possible that a new HC could see a potential Aaron Rodgers like situation by drafting a top QB.

....you never know.

It's not even about draft picks, the extension to Ryan makes him untradeable unless falcons can take a cap hit of 58M next year and future cap hits in 2021 and 2022. This is just dumb.

Artys Arryn likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Did you read the OP...lol.  I love Ryan.  @JD dirtybird21 will attest I am a Ryan homer.  But an opportunity to shore up the QB position for another 10-12 years isn’t something to balk at

I did but why would you take 25% of the cap in dead money to convert a strength in to unkown. I wouldnt do this trade even in madden.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

13 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Fam.... our D is dog **** ..... if we don't focus out WHOLE offseason on D....   

We deserve to be garbage

Very true.  If this were a decision for 2020 or 2021 I would completely agree.  But under this scenario we can keep all our current offense of weapons while also adding quality defensive pieces in free agency and draft because of all the CAP room created.  

It is certainly a risk because I still believe Ryan is an MVP level quarterback. But I also think Burrow can do enough early on in his career for us to win a title if the defense is fixed. And we need CAP room to fix the defense

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It's not even about draft picks, the extension to Ryan makes him untradeable unless falcons can take a cap hit of 58M next year and future cap hits in 2021 and 2022. This is just dumb.

As I said, it wastes the 2020 season due to the dead Money involved with trading Matt Ryan

6 minutes ago, papachaz said:

when is that NOT happening? and yeah, that's a serious question from someone who spends a lot of time here, :D

True but this is just warming up tp go to crazy levels. its gonna be long season/offseason.

papachaz likes this

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

As I said, it wastes the 2020 season due to the dead Money involved with trading Matt Ryan

More than 2020..more like 2022.

Just now, falcons007 said:

True but this is just warming up tp go to crazy levels. its gonna be long season/offseason.

oh absolutely. if we thought this past offseason was bad, just wait....ESP if quinn doesn't get fired  LOL

falcons007 likes this

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I don't think the Falcons should draft a QB either.

I'm just saying that a new HC depending on who it is could say differently. I meant Aaron Rodgers type of situation as in letting Ryan remain QB for the next few years as the new QB learns behind him like Rodgers did behind Farve.

I've been saying that I would like the Falcons to draft a high end defensive playmaker instead.

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

oh absolutely. if we thought this past offseason was bad, just wait....ESP if quinn doesn't get fired  LOL

It won’t stop even if DQ gets fired lol.

papachaz likes this

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I did but why would you take 25% of the cap in dead money to convert a strength in to unkown. I wouldnt do this trade even in madden.

If you think 2020 is a championship Window, you wouldn’t.  

but if you don’t think we can legitimately compete for a Super Bowl next year, wasting the season eating up the dead money and building for 2021 on seems a prudent move.

Ryan will be 36 at that point. In no way am I trying to hate on Ryan, just being logical and seeing what opportunities can be taken from a wasted season 

PokerSteve likes this

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I don't think the Falcons should draft a QB either.

I'm just saying that a new HC depending on who it is could say differently. I meant Aaron Rodgers type of situation as in letting Ryan remain QB for the next few years as the new QB learns behind him like Rodgers did behind Farve.

I've been saying that I would like the Falcons to draft a high end defensive playmaker instead.

I agree. QB in any round is a luxury now. I am all for tank when Ryan is done. Make the QB play on rookie contract than sitting. 

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

If you think 2020 is a championship Window, you wouldn’t.  

but if you don’t think we can legitimately compete for a Super Bowl next year, wasting the season eating up the dead money and building for 2021 on seems a prudent move. Ryan will be 36 at that point. In no way am I trying to hate on Ryan, just being logical and seeing what opportunities can be taken from a wasted season 

This team shouldn’t need major rebuild to compete. It needs a coach who can make these guys accountable and play. Hire the right coach this team is a contender with good draft and few tweaks.

4 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I'm starting to think Quinn not getting fired is becoming a real possibility.

TD could very well get the boot though.

papachaz, PokerSteve and falcons007 like this

9 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You’re not a Ryan homer. You ARE a Trae Young homer though ;)

You called my the biggest Ryan homer ever in our Wilson vs Ryan discussion...lol 

And Trae is the Truth.  Still taking him over your boy in Portland

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I'm starting to think Quinn not getting fired is becoming a real possibility.

TD could very well get the boot though.

DQ is gone.. 

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

You called my the biggest Ryan homer ever in our Wilson vs Ryan discussion...lol 

And Trae is the Truth.  Still taking him over your bit in Portland in a Bobo-second 

I did not call you the biggest Ryan homer ever! That is false. I said “you’re such a homer sometimes.” Not the same thing .