NCAA unanimously votes to ok players getting paid

Carter

They had no choice. Letting states approve this one at a time would've been anarchy.

They need to work out the kinks pronto though, because if systems aren't put in place, it will cause problems for teams and players alike. Not every school is built the same way with the same amount of income, and not every player can deal with finances the same way either.

Edited by VA F.O.

12 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

They had no choice. Letting states approve this one at a time would've been anarchy.

They need to work out the kinks pronto though, because if systems aren't put in place, it will cause problems for teams and players alike. Not every school is built the same way with the same amount of income, and not every player can deal with finances the same way either.

It won’t be any kind of free for all imo. They’re not going to allow players to get paid without some kind of limitation or broad application for fairness to “preserve amateurism” or something 

10 minutes ago, Carter said:

It won’t be any kind of free for all imo. They’re not going to allow players to get paid without some kind of limitation or broad application for fairness to “preserve amateurism” or something 

whatever the new "universal rules" are - they will be subverted and cheating will still go on above what is allowed.   Will just trade in one mess for another - at least it will somewhat put to bed the argument that the players get screwed - which the STAR players kind of do but the other 90% don't.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Burr's idea is ridiculous and will never pass. Tax the revenue from video games or whatever but taxing the scholarship is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. 

Many have warned that this would happen for a long time.  This will likely be passed. Like it or not, the scholarship provides the avenue to profit off their likeness and is therefore a benefit.  The vast majority of players will have to choose whether to accept the $$ for their likeness and have their scholarships taxed or not on the end.  For less profitable organizations the better bottom line choice will be to just accept the scholarship and nothing else as subjecting their scholarship value to income tax will end up costing them money.  

at the end of the day, this will not make a difference or cause any players to make life altering money.  When the dilution for other sports and women’s diving all gets tallied up, this will in the end probably hurt football players the most.  

1 hour ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Many have warned that this would happen for a long time.  This will likely be passed. Like it or not, the scholarship provides the avenue to profit off their likeness and is therefore a benefit.  The vast majority of players will have to choose whether to accept the $$ for their likeness and have their scholarships taxed or not on the end.  For less profitable organizations the better bottom line choice will be to just accept the scholarship and nothing else as subjecting their scholarship value to income tax will end up costing them money.  

at the end of the day, this will not make a difference or cause any players to make life altering money.  When the dilution for other sports and women’s diving all gets tallied up, this will in the end probably hurt football players the most.  

Because we can’t have the workers cutting into the pie I guess. If college sports were not a big huge money maker this wouldn’t even be a conversation. Schools and conferences have been making millions upon millions every year, FAR beyond paying for the scholarships that are given to these athletes. Then they get millions raised by donors on top of that to build facilities and what not, millions more just from tv contracts so the games can be broadcast, millions more in sponsorships to boot.

It’s hard for me to sympathize with the viewpoint that these scholarships are income for the players when that scholarship is what enables the schools and local economies to keep making money hand over fist directly from the student athletes hard work.

Yeah, I dont want this thread to become political but I dont see it. Taxing scholarships is just a messy idea. As Carter said the university gains millions off these kids. Coaches dont make $5M a year because people buy tickets to watch them walk the sidelines. Theres an insane amount of money in college football without putting a tax on scholarships. Burr is a dinosaur fighting change.

I think this is a little smoke and mirrors by the NCAA. They’re publicly saying this is happening but it’ll be a slow process and the first iteration of this will be a small step in the right process but not what everyone wants. 

Saying they are in favor of this publicly gives them a chance to control the speed and way this is rolled out. 

5 hours ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I think this is a little smoke and mirrors by the NCAA. They’re publicly saying this is happening but it’ll be a slow process and the first iteration of this will be a small step in the right process but not what everyone wants. 

Saying they are in favor of this publicly gives them a chance to control the speed and way this is rolled out. 

NCAA gets control. For example if EA brings back NCAA Football they'll likely negotiate with the NCAA and pay them a lump sum. Then that money will be evenly distributed to all the players featured. They'll get money but there wont be a players association like pro sports. NCAA keeps control of the players while getting praise for allowing them to earn. The NCAA also will get its hefty share of the profit. They'll make money off nearly everything the players are attached to.

On 10/30/2019 at 1:27 AM, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, I dont want this thread to become political but I dont see it. Taxing scholarships is just a messy idea. As Carter said the university gains millions off these kids. Coaches dont make $5M a year because people buy tickets to watch them walk the sidelines. Theres an insane amount of money in college football without putting a tax on scholarships. Burr is a dinosaur fighting change.

When I get back in town I would to discuss this further but I am all for taxing the scholarship money if they get additional compensation for their likeness.  The biggest thing for me as a fan if this brings back NCAA football I am all for it.  Best game ever imo.  

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

When I get back in town I would to discuss this further but I am all for taxing the scholarship money if they get additional compensation for their likeness.  The biggest thing for me as a fan if this brings back NCAA football I am all for it.  Best game ever imo.  

It's just such a tricky spot. A student isnt considered an employee of the university. Scholarships arent considered income, they are taxed in certain situations already. The university will continue to not pay athletes. Any payments will come from video game developers or autographs or whatever. That is income and deserves it's fair share of taxes. I just dont see it at all neccessary to add a new tax against athletes who have the opportunity to cash in on their likeness. We haven't read the full details of Burr's proposal so we cant really judge fully yet but I have a hard time buying in.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:11 PM, VA F.O. said:

I'm wondering about the full picture. I'm all for the athletes. I know how big business can treat people that wants to be compensated. Will I be able to go into a store, and purchase a Jersey, Justin Fields for an example. Will the Jersey have his name. If so, will he get a portion of the sales?

The NCAA has to back off because if they don't,  the schools would just make their own associations and get their own tv contracts, etc. outside of the NCAA.  NCAA is voluntary for the schools, ask Notre Dame which makes waaaaay more money being independant than aligning themselves with the NCAA and a conference in every sport...

Edited by Spts1