• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s always exciting to see Julio play he gives his all!!!    

Dude is the best receiver of his generation, and it’s not really close.    I don’t know if a team should spend 20 mill on a receiver, but if ever a receiver deserves it, it’s Julio

That's me.  I mean, I'd trade him for 2 firsts if he was tradeable, because I think we have other needs.  But even then, that's not as much as we gave up to get him in the first place. Julio gets

2 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

The notion of paying lots of guys a around a million and having a roster deep in good players vs having a few superstars and a bunch of bargain basement players is not some revelation.

It's the Patriots model and many have discussed it here before.

What's sad is that we culled from that organization in an attempt to have a GM who would replicate "the Patriot's way", but has done pretty much the exact opposite.

Not to begrudge paying Julio at all as he deserves to be the top paid WR, and I've always thought there was more than one way to skin a cat. 

It's just funny though because I think AB really went for TD to bring that philosophy here.

I'm actually fine though with Julio, Grady, and Matt. Where I think we went horribly wrong was Trufant, Freeman, and of course, Beasley.  

I put it on Blank though, how can a GM even expect to work a deal when your owner goes public with 'we want him for life'. Blank needs to let the football people do their jobs and stop micromanaging and blowing them out of the water with crap like that 

3 hours ago, robertap said:

My personal thoughts on the matter are, the more millionaires you have on your team, the better your team is going to be.  Our front office does not view things that way.  We put all of our money in a couple of really big baskets, and I think that when you do that, you end up exactly like we have. We are wondering how in the world we suck this bad when we've paid our superstars so much money.  Well, it's a team game, not a superstar game.  Do you want to have Superstars, or Superbowls?

We only have one superstar. That's Julio. Am I missing someone else? 

35 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I put it on Blank though, how can a GM even expect to work a deal when your owner goes public with 'we want him for life'. Blank needs to let the football people do their jobs and stop micromanaging and blowing them out of the water with crap like that 

Ultimately, yes it is on AB. 

He want's to be buddies with everyone and develops too many emotional bonds that make the players his extended family.

He lacks the discipline to run it like a true CEO, and just doesn't have that same self-control that Kraft does..

Which is really sort of funny considering Kraft's lack of discipline and self-control in regards to... well.. you know.

I think Julio is the best in the NFL at his position and should be paid as such.... that said, I think the WR position itself is a poor one in which to heavily invest (but not as bad as RB, which we are also heavily invested in).

Money should be focused on the QB (no one wins without quality here), the trenches, and quality depth.

Edited by cyberlian
2 hours ago, cyofish said:

Julio is a pro's pro.  The tape speaks for itself.  He never complains, creates dissension, or makes it about himself. He just quietly goes out and plays the position better than anyone in the league.  

He did complain, create dissection and make it about himself in 2018, when he threatened to hold out. Worst of all, he did it in arguably our most important season: they year when we were supposed to have a great chance to create history by playing in a home Super Bowl.

For all the superlatives about how great Julio is and the best of his generation etc. he hasn’t put up double digit TD receptions in the regular season since 2012.

Through 8 seasons, Julio scored 51 TD receptions in the regular season. In the same period of time Jerry Rice scored 103, Randy Moss 98 and TO had 81.

At 30 years of age and with his best seasons likely to be behind him, I doubt that Julio’s future production over the next 4-5 years will come anywhere close to justifying his current contract.

20 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Yep 

1 hour ago, ukfalc said:

He did complain, create dissection and make it about himself in 2018, when he threatened to hold out. Worst of all, he did it in arguably our most important season: they year when we were supposed to have a great chance to create history by playing in a home Super Bowl.

For all the superlatives about how great Julio is and the best of his generation etc. he hasn’t put up double digit TD receptions in the regular season since 2012.

Through 8 seasons, Julio scored 51 TD receptions in the regular season. In the same period of time Jerry Rice scored 103, Randy Moss 98 and TO had 81.

At 30 years of age and with his best seasons likely to be behind him, I doubt that Julio’s future production over the next 4-5 years will come anywhere close to justifying his current contract.

Case in point. 

2 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

:lol: It’s just funny how people hate on the wrong people!!  However it doesn’t surprise me!!

This will get some peeps stirred up, but I’ll say it anyway....

Freeman’s not having a good year at all, but case in point....There’s been more anti-freeman Threads in here than Rico/Takk/Matthews/Campbell our ‘Splashy’ FA guard signings, etc etc....all of  whom are  having worse seasons.

Again, Freeman’s not looked good. But You can’t expect any kind of running game when getting blown out in 1st halves of games and having to abandon any running game + the atrocious blocking we’ve seen all year long by this OL.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:42 PM, JDaveG said:

That's me.  I mean, I'd trade him for 2 firsts if he was tradeable, because I think we have other needs.  But even then, that's not as much as we gave up to get him in the first place.

Julio gets grief because of what we paid to get him and what we pay to keep him.  Nobody with any sense complains about his work ethic, production, or ability though.  He's head and shoulders the best WR in the league.  No one else is even in the same discussion.  He is a complete freak of nature at the position.  He could be the best ever if he stays healthy.  He's that **** good.

Whether to pay any WR what we pay him is a fair question.  But you are 100% correct.  If you're going to, he's the guy you pay.  

Good assessment. Even I have talked about trading in the last few weeks, I love me some Julio, but a great expensive WR on a bad team is not going to make our trenches or front 7 better. We need picks and a slop bucket full of them. 

No question he is right up there as the best WR of his generation. A HOFer, not many teams draft those guys. 

24 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

:lol: It’s just funny how people hate on the wrong people!!  However it doesn’t surprise me!!

Funny how people throw words like “hate” when they have no rebuttal.

Julio is being paid on past performance. The contract doesn’t reflect his age or the almost inevitable decline in performance as he progresses through his contract.

I am willing to go out on a limb right now and say that Julio won’t be the most productive WR in the NFL for the duration of his contract. I doubt he’ll be top 3, or even top 5 in either receptions, yardage or TDs - and if I am right about that it will make his contract very bad value.

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

This will get some peeps stirred up, but I’ll say it anyway....

Freeman’s not having a good year at all, but case in point....There’s been more anti-freeman Threads in here than Rico/Takk/Matthews/Campbell our ‘Splashy’ FA guard signings, etc etc....all of  whom are  having worse seasons.

Again, Freeman’s not looked good. But You can’t expect any kind of running game when getting blown out in 1st halves of games and the atrocious blocking we’ve seen this year. 

Yep and that money spent on those two FA guards who have been injured and nonproductive is concerning and definitely effects the running game.  Personally the only four guys who are playing their ***** off are Matt, Julio, Hoop and Grady. 

2 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

Funny how people throw words like “hate” when they have no rebuttal.

Julio is being paid on past performance. The contract doesn’t reflect his age or the almost inevitable decline in performance as he progresses through his contract.

I am willing to go out on a limb right now and say that Julio won’t be the most productive WR in the NFL for the duration of his contract. I doubt he’ll be top 3, or even top 5 in either receptions, yardage or TDs - and if I am right about that it will make his contract very bad value.

Your entitled your opinion!

16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m still waiting for Julio to lose a step lol.

I’ve been hearing that horse manure for at least 3 years.

Value seriously how many players play upto thee value of an extension I mean I don’t even think there s such a thing.

I guess this train of thought only applies to the Falcons.

TATF armchair GMs say he will definitely lose a step! :ninja: