athell

RIP Money Matt

158 posts in this topic

Yeah man we ALL should have saw the writing on the wall that we had a stink on us since preseason. Injuries our rookies and Wilcox early. Both our FA OL we're off to slow starts in preseason. We resigned VB44, and brought a OC back that NEVER had a consistent run/pass ratio on offense......but most importantly Money Matt missing chip shot FG was the icing on the cake.

Edited by lju713
Flying Falcon likes this

39 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Well there you go.

To all the people that wanted Bryant back, the Falcons were right the first time.

They WERE right the first time - the problem was, Bryant really did seem like the best option after Giorgio fell apart in pre-season and our only other viable option seemed to be Blair Walsh.

What a freaking disaster of a season.

14 minutes ago, Ohio Dirty Bird said:

Please explain how?  Hes money from inside 50 .  He is old and not what he was in the past but please tell me who on the Falcons team shouldn't be cut  including Julio Jones. THEY ALL SUCK

The Falcons didn't plan on re-signing him initially because they wanted to move on from him before the wheels really fell off.

Bryant isn't money anymore. His only job is to kick. Him missing multiple kicks over the past few weeks sealed his fate.

Sorry to see Matt done like this after all he's done for the Falcons over the years. But this is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

Too bad we can't also get rid of our godawful defense our "defensive guru" has put together...

Sell The Team, Art likes this

1 minute ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Yeh... he missed some kicks... but didn't we have like 10 worse problems than kicking?

Bryant wasn't going to get any better. His time has caught up with him.

If it had to happen to Matt like this then I'm glad it was during a season like this. If his departure would have come during a playoff run where we were counting on him I'd hate to have that image in my mind.

This way I can be happy he is sitting at home on Sundays not having to suffer. 

rounz and Flying Falcon like this

Back in the preseason when Italian Ice was struggling, I wanted to sign Younghoe Koo because I thought Money Matt was too expensive, injury prone, and not the same kicker.

I was one of the ones pounding the table for him to return when Gio was struggling and I unapologetically stand by it.

I do understand why the FO had Gio as Plan A.  He looked good last year, he was cheaper, younger, etc.  But going into the season (and I think the season has gone tilt so bad people forget now) we had serious aspirations.  Playoff.  SB.  Having a spotty kicker situation that Gio was giving us in the preseason could not happen, and Bryant was the logical choice.

I can admit that I was wrong, and it does appear father time has caught up to Matt...but I still believe it was the correct and no-brainer decision for this franchise at the time.  Doubly when looking at who they were working out ie the Blair Walsh's of the world.

That said, cutting him now is a bad look for this FO and just the icing on this stupid season cake.

58 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

I hope not. Need his figure to roll into next year's cap. I think it was time to find a new kicker anyway. 

they made that decision last year, and should have stuck with it. Maybe Gio wasn't the answer, but it's obvious that those of us who said Bryant wasn't the answer were right, at least that once...  :lol:

Osiruz likes this

I said this the first time he was cut, but I'll say it once more. I HATE that this guy - this guy who was money for us in so many key situations - didn't get to retire after the 2016 season after securing the team its first Super Bowl win. (Perhaps he would have wanted to continue on, but that seems like a pretty perfect way to end a career to me.)

There's nothing at all to be done about it, of course. But I HATE it. It was all right there. A miraculous Julio catch to set up Money Matt's (and the franchise's) most important kick of all time. And I have zero doubt that thing would have gone through.

That could have been the ending. SHOULD have been the ending. And instead he's cut twice in a (to date) 1-7 season.

I don't know what to say about a player of that caliber being utterly robbed of their moment. Except that it flat-out sucks, and thanks for the memories, Bryant.

44 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I said something about the holder in the preseason and nobody was accepting it so I gotta give that same energy to this situation

The reason I don't think it was the holder is because Bryant was missing kicks with Bosher holding too.

Osiruz likes this

9 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Yep, cutting Bryant was never the mistake...replacing him w Italian Ice was.

Right because the Falcons should have known that a guy that was 21-for-26 in his career was all of a sudden gonna not be able to make kicks anymore.

Flying Falcon likes this

21 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Back in the preseason when Italian Ice was struggling, I wanted to sign Younghoe Koo because I thought Money Matt was too expensive, injury prone, and not the same kicker.

I wanted Elliott Fry signed because I saw Younghoe with the Chargers and dude couldn't make a kick to save his life.

papachaz likes this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I wanted Elliott Fry signed because I saw Younghoe with the Chargers and dude couldn't make a kick to save his life.

Well, when he played for Georgia Southern and the Atlanta Legends, he was "money."

Just saw this... I see ppl on twitter saying this was disrespectful..... DF.... Man I  like Matt Bryant... The guy was clutch for us but he ain't that guy no more...

We brought him back and it didn't workout.... I respect the man but it's clearly time to move on

FalconJim and papachaz like this