Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Don™

Jake Matthews trade buzz and quick Trufant note

Smoke, smoke, smokey smoke.  No way we get rid of ANY piece of our line, if we hope to keep Matt upright the rest of the season.  And this goes for Mack as well.  This has been put out there to light a fire under Jake's ***. 

Nothing more.  Message delivered.  

Edited by Maltese Falcon

27 minutes ago, athell said:

I'm convinced most of you:

A )  Only watch Falcon football and have NO clue what a quality LT (or any position for that matter) actually looks like or

B )  Really don't want to win

Amen! You don't trade away a known commodity at that position unless you are burning the roster to the ground and don't mind being the doormat for another 3-5 years. Unbelievably dumb move if it's true.

45 minutes ago, Falconguy said:

If true, who would we replace him with

The line is already a mess 

We already have enough holes to patch up in the line as it is. Jake hasn't played very well this year, but he has still been our best linemen overall and it's not even particularly close. Whatever pick we got back from Jake it would ultimately be spent on his replacement who more than likely won't be as good for at least a few seasons if ever. 

19 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

Day 2? No thanks I'll trade Matthews for 2 first round picks. LT is in high demand and he has proven himself to be a capable starter.

A 2nd isn’t actually a bad deal considering  the other team assumes a huge contract.  Would love a first, but it likely isn’t happening.  The trade would be about CAP relief more than draft capital.

The purge is at hand

12 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

He is better than Tunsil......considerably better.

Especially in an outside zone system

He's better than average.  Of course I think Tunsil wasn't worth 2 1st round picks.  Neither do I think Matthews is.  But he's better than a day 2 pick.

31 minutes ago, Jpg428gggg said:

No point in trading Matthews. Guys like him don't grow on trees. Yes, he is having a down year, but why sell low?

I would trade Trufant in a second if we can. He is a solid player but overpaid and can definitely help a playoff team. Even with his contract, I think you can get a good return for him.

this also happened to Schrader had a down year then was horrible might be happening to matthews before our very eyes

51 minutes ago, Falconguy said:

If true, who would we replace him with

The line is already a mess 

Thomas from U G.A. (2020 NFL Draft - if DEChase Young is selected ahead of The Falcons pick)

52 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Mathews isn’t in bottom 3rd by any stretch. He is top 8 so far among all OT, both RT and LT. 
It’s all speculation.

After a bad start to the year, he’s done decently. Also, considering we just signed him to an extension it’d be idiotic to trade him already. 

1 hour ago, The Don™ said:

If one of our other four GM's want to do this and have a plan that would have us getting a veteran from another team during the off-season or some other legit plan I would give it a hard serious look. I would not trust TD to do it

I would trade Jake. He has been serviceable but isn't worth that fat contract. You can get similar production from a much cheaper FA or a draft pick. Save that $ for the salary cap. Trufant and Matthews off the table will start helping the cap situation.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Well, that's with TD doing the drafting.

Also, it's why I gave several scenarios.  Good teams plan for contingencies.  Would you rather have a 3rd rounder ready to step in if Jake gets hurt or a 6th rounder?  Would you rather trade a 3rd rounder for the picks a 3rd rounder is likely to bring or a 6th rounder for the picks a 6th rounder is likely to bring?

Contingency is one thing. Trading your franchise LT for a day 2 pick makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

AB should fire TD before he is trading key players.

:ninja:Maybe he is down at his Yacht and paying a goon to shoot at TD’s feet in a game called “show me you want to still be GM next year” :ninja:

19 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

A 2nd isn’t actually a bad deal considering  the other team assumes a huge contract.  Would love a first, but it likely isn’t happening.  The trade would be about CAP relief more than draft capital.

The purge is at hand

Future cap, sure, but for 2020, you'd be looking at $19 million in dead money and and hole to fill vs. $16 million to keep him.  If he's really not in the future plans, they could rip the band-aid off and cut their losses looking toward the future, but they have some work to do for 2020 cap-wise.

At least Trufant would save about $5 million in 2020, but that's still not much when you're creating another hole to fill.