Jake Matthews trade buzz and quick Trufant note

Scout Dave-Te’ Thomas told Paul Crane on the Scout’s Honor podcast that he’s hearing buzz about left tackle Jake Matthews.

“I'm hearing quiet noise out there about something possibly happening with Matthews with Atlanta,” Thomas said at the 10:45 mark of the pod. “You look at Matthews this year, he's not having a typical year out there. Matter of fact, he's probably in the lower third as far as grading for offensive tackles go. Could this be a guy that's in for a chance of scenery? Possibly.

“You could definitely get a Day 2 [pick] for that guy.”

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm convinced most of you: A )  Only watch Falcon football and have NO clue what a quality LT (or any position for that matter) actually looks like or B )  Really don't want to win

Absolutely not.  I've been critical of Jake this season, but good grief, he isn't Trufant or Beasley bad.  He just also isn't number 6 overall pick good.

just no, let the guys who are going to be there get healthy, and let them gel. We have no viable choice to realistically replace him with, so just no

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I would not, however, be upset if we draft his potential replacement with a 2nd or 3rd next season.  Worst case we have a LT or RT problem and trade the newbie or McGary for picks.  Best case we can move on from Jake, cheaper.

No. Falcons have not been able to get a LT outside of first round. Heck Mathews has been only franchise LT Matt ever had.

Just now, falcons007 said:

No. Falcons have not been able to get a LT outside of first round. Heck Mathews has been only franchise LT Matt ever had.

Well, that's with TD doing the drafting.

Also, it's why I gave several scenarios.  Good teams plan for contingencies.  Would you rather have a 3rd rounder ready to step in if Jake gets hurt or a 6th rounder?  Would you rather trade a 3rd rounder for the picks a 3rd rounder is likely to bring or a 6th rounder for the picks a 6th rounder is likely to bring?

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I would jump for maximum joy if we can get rid of Matthews.  That contract was robbery in all aspects.  

dump all of the brotherhood contracts...Allen, Matthews, Freeman

I'm convinced most of you:

A )  Only watch Falcon football and have NO clue what a quality LT (or any position for that matter) actually looks like or

B )  Really don't want to win

1 minute ago, athell said:

I'm convinced most of you:

A )  Only watch Falcon football and have NO clue what a quality LT (or any position for that matter) actually looks like or

B )  Really don't want to win

I’m convinced most of you

A ) Are so adept at watching only falcons football that you’ve become okay with rewarding mediocrity

B ) Want to keep paying mediocre players big money

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’m convinced most of you

A ) Are so adept at watching only falcons football that you’ve become okay with rewarding mediocrity

B ) Want to keep paying mediocre players big money

Increase your knowledge.  Expand your scope.  This ain't it.