Falcons Fan MVP

Here is why I think we chose Steve Sarkisian and Dirk Koetter as our offensive coordinators.

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Personally and I know I’m in a small group, I wish they had never fired Sark. He wasn’t as bad as the board made him seem and the players did a horrible job of executing. IMO he didn’t completely deserve to be fired

I just think they should have allowed him to run HIS offense not someone else's.i never understood that..I get u dont want matt and crew to learn another new offense but your already handicapping your new OC.

ya_boi_j likes this

53 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I seriously hope our fan base being hateful and disrespectful to Falcons players and coaches on social media and at the games doesn't have an effect on their performance. That's another real possibility this team could be struggling mentally. Our attitude should be "we appreciate your hard work but bad football is not acceptable here in Atlanta." I do agree a fan base who has gone ringless shouldn't tolerate the garbage on the field this year but should be more respectful to the players and coaches who I'm sure want to win badly.

Well it’s 100 times more respectful here than on FB and Twit.  And that’s saying something. I think it’s affected Campbell and Takk....

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think we need to wait until year 2 to compare Koetter and Sark. I actually think Koetter is a slight improvement. 

As far as Dan Quinn. I think his attitude was he trusted Kyle Shanahan 100 percent with the offense. 

I agree that was exactly DQs attitude.  Those guys I mentioned (I’m convinced) would’ve said “shut up kid we win it now”.  Maybe thats more veteran experience vs inexperience and 100% trust.  Those dudes wouldn’t let any coord risk a Lombardi.  I agree on Koetter in yr 2.  I was thinking Sark made big leap in yr 2 so maybe Koetter does too. But I still wonder how much of the prblm was coordinators.  Not saying ’m a fan of those guys.  Just looking at this mess makes you question everything including the Gatorade flavors. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I can agree with that. Can’t explain why though. Unless he didn’t trust the personnel on the OL. Player development there was shotty 

He was actually far more balanced in his run-pass ratio on 2017.  We ran the ball 45% of the time and had nearly 2,000 yards.

My issue was his inability to coach when things went off script.  If things went smooth, we scored 30.  But in difficult situations, he was more often than not outclassed by the DC.  5 straight games under 20 points in 2018 was the nail in da coffin.

Fun fact: in 2017, we were undefeated if the offense scored 20 points or more

The Don™ and Schwarzwald like this

9 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I agree that was exactly DQs attitude.  Those guys I mentioned (I’m convinced) would’ve said “shut up kid we win it now”.  Maybe thats more veteran experience vs inexperience and 100% trust.  Those dudes wouldn’t let any coord risk a Lombardi.  I agree on Koetter in yr 2.  I was thinking Sark made big leap in yr 2 so maybe Koetter does too. But I still wonder how much of the prblm was coordinators.  Not saying ’m a fan of those guys.  Just looking at this mess makes you question everything including the Gatorade flavors. 

The offensive line is 100 percent offensive line problems and need a power runner which could be Ollison one day.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

He was actually far more balanced in his run-pass ratio on 2017.  We ran the ball 45% of the time and had nearly 2,000 yards.

My issue was his inability to coach when things went off script.  If things went smooth, we scored 30.  But in difficult situations, he was more often than not outclassed by the DC.  5 straight games under 20 points in 2018 was the nail in da coffin.

Ya, the only trouble with 2017 was teams played keep away and while our red zone D was great we couldn't get off the field without a LOT of bending.

Basically = shortened games...low PPG but high PPD.

Now, if our RZ offense was like 2018; in 2017...with a respectable run game?

Ahhhh....why can't we ever put a complete team together! :doh:

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

We threw more in 2018 because we were always behind.

I miss that 2017 defense.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

We threw more in 2018 because we were always behind.

I miss that 2017 defense.

Me too.  It gets little love, but it was an unlucky unit.  They are one of the very few defensive units in NFL history to finish top 8 in scoring defense and total defense while being in the bottom 8-10 in turnover differential.  

If we could’ve picked up a few of those fumbles or caught 4-5 of the interceptions that hit Trufant directly in the hands, the narrative on that unit would be far different.

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Personally and I know I’m in a small group, I wish they had never fired Sark. He wasn’t as bad as the board made him seem and the players did a horrible job of executing. IMO he didn’t completely deserve to be fired

Right on

ya_boi_j likes this

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Me too.  It gets little love, but it was an unlucky unit.  They are one of the very few defensive units in NFL history to finish top 8 in scoring defense and total defense while being in the bottom 8-10 in turnover differential.  

If we could’ve picked up a few of those fumbles or caught 4-5 of the interceptions that hit Trufant directly in the hands, the narrative on that unit would be far different.

Oh ya, they'd be getting off the field more.

It was good in totals but struggled with some per drive stats. Turnovers would've turned into less yards/time/plays/points allowed per drive; which is the real story with that unit.

Teams deliberately play keep away from our offense in large part and back then they weren't making big plays deep on us; which was the best part of that unit.

Rico was playing very well and so was the entire secondary. Pass rush was average with Takk and Grady being the only threats; outside of that sick game by AC. Definitely needed more turnovers and more 3&Outs to be considered a great D, tho. It was good enough to be a complimenting D to what should have been a better offense. We had no real plans to replace Shanahan other than Sark....

FalconsIn2012 likes this

15 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The offensive line is 100 percent offensive line problems and need a power runner which could be Ollison one day.

I hope illusion can be answer at rb.  Of course it won’t matter until we solidify both lines.   

Sark’s offences were sloppy. Not a hard core X & O guy and it showed. Very, very poor results against top defences in games that mattered (exception was 2017 playoff against Rams). As the commentators said during Sunday’s game, Falcons offence lacks an identity. It did under Sark and does now. 

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

A lot of people complain about how we should hired Lefleur, McDaniel or McVey as our offensive coordinator when Kyle Shanahan left. This is why I think Sarkisian and Koetter were chosen:

I think that the Falcons front office or Dan Quinn figured that if we hired McVey, McDaniel or lefleur as the offensive coordinator they would likely be promoted to head coach after one year and they wanted stability at the offensive coordinator position. Someone who would stay 3-5 years. I think the Falcons hired Sark because they thought he wouldn't be promoted to head coach because of his alcohol problems teams would be reluctant to hire him as a head coach. I also think they thought as did I that there was so much talent on the offense it could almost run itself with an average offensive coordinator. When Sark was fired I think Kubiak was the guy they wanted. Because of his heart problems he would be unlikely to get promoted to head coach. When that didn't work they turned to Dirk Koetter who has just been fired as a head coach but had success here in 2012 and was familiar with MR2 and JJ11. Because he failed as a head coach he would likely stay for a while. I think the Falcons were basically looking for someone who would stay 3-5 years at least. Which seemed like a good idea at the time. Do you guys agree?

Hmmm, could be.

You also made me think of a related theory ... maybe DQ wanted someone good, but not so good they could threaten his job? That would only make sense if DQ knew he was about to be exposed.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

6 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

A lot of people complain about how we should hired Lefleur, McDaniel or McVey as our offensive coordinator when Kyle Shanahan left. This is why I think Sarkisian and Koetter were chosen:

I think that the Falcons front office or Dan Quinn figured that if we hired McVey, McDaniel or lefleur as the offensive coordinator they would likely be promoted to head coach after one year and they wanted stability at the offensive coordinator position. Someone who would stay 3-5 years. I think the Falcons hired Sark because they thought he wouldn't be promoted to head coach because of his alcohol problems teams would be reluctant to hire him as a head coach. I also think they thought as did I that there was so much talent on the offense it could almost run itself with an average offensive coordinator. When Sark was fired I think Kubiak was the guy they wanted. Because of his heart problems he would be unlikely to get promoted to head coach. When that didn't work they turned to Dirk Koetter who has just been fired as a head coach but had success here in 2012 and was familiar with MR2 and JJ11. Because he failed as a head coach he would likely stay for a while. I think the Falcons were basically looking for someone who would stay 3-5 years at least. Which seemed like a good idea at the time. Do you guys agree?

McVay got head coach the same year as Shanny, so that wasn’t an option.  Why would McDaniels take a lateral move to a team he just beat in the super bowl?

4 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Well it’s 100 times more respectful here than on FB and Twit.  And that’s saying something. I think it’s affected Campbell and Takk....

Those same weak mentalities or fragile or insecure ones are just breeding more hatred back at themselves.

VTCrunkler likes this

2 hours ago, EpicBird said:

Sark’s offences were sloppy. Not a hard core X & O guy and it showed. Very, very poor results against top defences in games that mattered (exception was 2017 playoff against Rams). As the commentators said during Sunday’s game, Falcons offence lacks an identity. It did under Sark and does now. 

The defense and special teams won that Rams game. The special teams recovered 2 fumbles inside the Rams territory.

Dirtybird56 likes this

It all stems from Dan Q. I remember the only reason he even hired Kyle was because he knew that offense gave them (the Seahawks) fits. After Kyle left, Dan asked Pete. Pete said he would hired Sark and so we got Sark. 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I actually am very torn about firing Quinn and Koetter. A part of me says fire the bad players. Coaches can learn from their mistakes. I think Arthur Blank should ask Dan Quinn what he plans to do to fix this before he makes a decision.

I'm sure he will " recognize the question". For sure

14 hours ago, Jesus said:

The redzone offense last year was the best if Ryan's career. 

The run game was bad under Sark. 

The lack of player execution has been an issue for some time. If these guys don't want to execute they can go elsewhere. Not sure why that isn't being communicated.

And that falls on TD. And you are correct man the run game is what makes MR. If Matt can't use play action plays to hold the LB or S, it's gonna be a long day. The OL coach we have is a joke, and the picks at OL have been a bigger joke.

15 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

LaFleur wasn’t really on anybody’s radar as a inevitable head coach, neither was McDaniel, the other assistant.

Word was (according to D-Led) the team wasn’t totally satisfied with their work.

That’s looking more and more ridiculous by the day, but guys don’t get skipped over like that because they’re gonna take head coaching gigs eventually. Good organizations plan for that and work to develop coaches the same way they develop players.

I think it was the opposite.  Think about it. They were ready and Quinn knew it. Probably not as as a HC, but for sure as an OC. Quinn is a snake. He feared his job and hired ones he knew couldnt threatened his job status. Ex. Manuel, Sark, etc...

17 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

He was always going back to saban. They are all buddies