Falcons Fan MVP

Here is why I think we chose Steve Sarkisian and Dirk Koetter as our offensive coordinators.

56 posts in this topic

A lot of people complain about how we should hired Lefleur, McDaniel or McVey as our offensive coordinator when Kyle Shanahan left. This is why I think Sarkisian and Koetter were chosen:

I think that the Falcons front office or Dan Quinn figured that if we hired McVey, McDaniel or lefleur as the offensive coordinator they would likely be promoted to head coach after one year and they wanted stability at the offensive coordinator position. Someone who would stay 3-5 years. I think the Falcons hired Sark because they thought he wouldn't be promoted to head coach because of his alcohol problems teams would be reluctant to hire him as a head coach. I also think they thought as did I that there was so much talent on the offense it could almost run itself with an average offensive coordinator. When Sark was fired I think Kubiak was the guy they wanted. Because of his heart problems he would be unlikely to get promoted to head coach. When that didn't work they turned to Dirk Koetter who has just been fired as a head coach but had success here in 2012 and was familiar with MR2 and JJ11. Because he failed as a head coach he would likely stay for a while. I think the Falcons were basically looking for someone who would stay 3-5 years at least. Which seemed like a good idea at the time. Do you guys agree?

Dukeduke211 likes this

Personally and I know I’m in a small group, I wish they had never fired Sark. He wasn’t as bad as the board made him seem and the players did a horrible job of executing. IMO he didn’t completely deserve to be fired

Godzilla1985, vel, JDaveG and 24 others like this

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Personally and I know I’m in a small group, I wish they had never fired Sark. He wasn’t as bad as the board made him seem and the players did a horrible job of executing. IMO he didn’t completely deserve to be fired

He sucked man, but I was nervous when we let him go

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He sucked man, but I was nervous when we let him go

He wasn’t that terrible imo. Think about all the drops from the receivers and the inability to connect deep with Julio. The worst thing was the inability to develop the offensive line. As far as getting the ball to the playmakers, he did a solid job. He had no control over drops(21 combined for the big 4 with Julio and Calvin having 15 of those) and the offensive linemen playing like butt cheeks. 

5 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He wasn’t that terrible imo. Think about all the drops from the receivers and the inability to connect deep with Julio. The worst thing was the inability to develop the offensive line. As far as getting the ball to the playmakers, he did a solid job. He had no control over drops(21 combined for the big 4 with Julio and Calvin having 15 of those) and the offensive linemen playing like butt cheeks. 

Yeah true, but it really didn’t seem like he liked running much. Saban had to get on him about it too

Just now, Knight of God said:

Yeah true, but it really didn’t seem like he liked running much. Saban had to get on him about it too

I can agree with that. Can’t explain why though. Unless he didn’t trust the personnel on the OL. Player development there was shotty 

We hired him because we didn’t think Lefleur was ready and we wanted someone who was willing to adapt to the offense we are currently running.

I still think Sark wasn’t as bad as he was made out to be. We consistently had the worst starting position in all of football due to terrible special teams and a defense that rarely got 3 and outs or turnovers. We were forced to drive 80+ yards way too often which resulted in failed drives.

Whoever our next coach is needs to focus more on special teams because of the hidden yards there. I just don’t understand the philosophy behind ignoring special teams when you are a team that forces teams to throw underneath. 

VTCrunkler and kiwifalcon like this

The redzone offense last year was the best if Ryan's career. 

The run game was bad under Sark. 

The lack of player execution has been an issue for some time. If these guys don't want to execute they can go elsewhere. Not sure why that isn't being communicated.

Schwarzwald likes this

The Falcons hired Sark and Koetter because Dan Quinn is a 1st time head coach that brought very limited people with his in regards to coaching staff so McKay and his Tampa Bay cronnies have been helping with assistant coach hires, they are all in this together so when the boat sinks McKay, TD, Sabo, Webster, Emry, Collier need to be held accountable too. Time to stop this bull of hiring inexperienced coaches and then giving them substandard players to win with. Falcons o-line and d-line is a joke, that aint coaching. Matt Ryan sacked 5 times in a game aint Quinn. The Falcons going 6 games without a sack aint Quinn, that's the talent on his roster. Wake up. Fire the front office. Do it right this time Blank. Ed Dodds Team president/GM 2020. Clean the house Blank! Do your job! 

Godzilla1985 likes this

27 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I remember the comments you said basically not being for firing Sark and I co-sign. I think our offense would’ve been excellent had we kept him he was really starting to develop a rhythm towards the end of his tenure and he knew how to use all 3 WR’s. Dysfunctional organizations make dysfunctional decisions.

ya_boi_j likes this

Just now, Macintez said:

I remember the comments you said basically not being for firing Sark and I co-sign. I think our offense would’ve been excellent had we kept him he was really starting to develop a rhythm towards the end of his tenure and he knew how to use all 3 WR’s. Dysfunctional organizations make dysfunctional decisions.

I agree. Had he been able to get better play from the OL to get the run game going he would have still been here IMO. He played a huge role in Hoopers development as well outside of him taking time on his own in the offseason to link with Matt. 

Geneaut likes this

39 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I agree with you...he won a playoff game as an OC...Good enough for me and had he had a defense he would have had a chance to win won last year...

ya_boi_j and Refried Beans like this

LaFleur wasn’t really on anybody’s radar as a inevitable head coach, neither was McDaniel, the other assistant.

Word was (according to D-Led) the team wasn’t totally satisfied with their work.

That’s looking more and more ridiculous by the day, but guys don’t get skipped over like that because they’re gonna take head coaching gigs eventually. Good organizations plan for that and work to develop coaches the same way they develop players.

5 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I agree with you...he won a playoff game as an OC...Good enough for me and had he had a defense he would have had a chance to win won last year...

True. I wish he had gotten one more year. The only major gripe I had was getting away from the run game too early in games. Like OP said though, they probably thought they had a legit chance at Kubiak

KCFalcon22 and Falcons Fan MVP like this

43 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He was better than what Koetter has delivered w virtually same personnel thus far.   I’m afraid what we’ve done is fire coordinators without addressing the root of our problems which I believe are a lax culture and poor leadership.  I think we saw first chinc in armor when our HC was hesitant to ice a Super Bowl victory by overriding playcall and sending out FG unit.   Belicheck, Parcells, McCarthy, Payton......none of those guys would’ve hesitated to tell the OC (or anyone else) to stand down.  While at same time we mismanaged final qtr of game in prevent too long as it was obv we were getting plucked like a chicken.   That’s where leadership or lack thereof  surfaces.   We saw exactly what we had and those same timid qualities have allowed a team of a few talented Andes many marginal players to become complacent and in many ways arrogant.  Sorry for the semi rant.  I just see this as a train wreck that is guaranteed not to correct itself.  We might get whole new group of rooms and they might buy in for a year or two but this isn’t the way to NFL success.  

ya_boi_j likes this

58 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Changing from Sark also made more stress to change the OL in one offseason abandoning the ZBS. Suddenly, Wes may as well not be on the team as he doesn't truly fit the inside zone and power/man looks we started focusing more on.

We've been missing a solid interior OL since 2016. Kaleb got delayed and now we're stuck without a run game and streaky pass blocking based on level of competition.

Sark should have stayed if anything for continuity and staying as a true WCO.

As it stands, if DQ is gone we likely have a 3rd OC in 3 years in 2020 and a 4th OC in 5 years...

ya_boi_j likes this

If you feel this way about sark are you going to feel this way about quinn? Would the defense improve with quinn finally drafting defense a priority like 2016? 

13 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Y’all know we are the real reason he got fired. 

:rolleyes:

I seriously hope our fan base being hateful and disrespectful to Falcons players and coaches on social media and at the games doesn't have an effect on their performance. That's another real possibility this team could be struggling mentally. Our attitude should be "we appreciate your hard work but bad football is not acceptable here in Atlanta." I do agree a fan base who has gone ringless shouldn't tolerate the garbage on the field this year but should be more respectful to the players and coaches who I'm sure want to win badly.

VTCrunkler likes this

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Sounds like an excuse someone out there will be making for Q in the near future. :D

3 minutes ago, Califalcon0013 said:

If you feel this way about sark are you going to feel this way about quinn? Would the defense improve with quinn finally drafting defense a priority like 2016? 

I actually am very torn about firing Quinn and Koetter. A part of me says fire the bad players. Coaches can learn from their mistakes. I think Arthur Blank should ask Dan Quinn what he plans to do to fix this before he makes a decision.

15 minutes ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

He was better than what Koetter has delivered w virtually same personnel thus far.   I’m afraid what we’ve done is fire coordinators without addressing the root of our problems which I believe are a lax culture and poor leadership.  I think we saw first chinc in armor when our HC was hesitant to ice a Super Bowl victory by overriding playcall and sending out FG unit.   Belicheck, Parcells, McCarthy, Payton......none of those guys would’ve hesitated to tell the OC (or anyone else) to stand down.  While at same time we mismanaged final qtr of game in prevent too long as it was obv we were getting plucked like a chicken.   That’s where leadership or lack thereof  surfaces.   We saw exactly what we had and those same timid qualities have allowed a team of a few talented Andes many marginal players to become complacent and in many ways arrogant.  Sorry for the semi rant.  I just see this as a train wreck that is guaranteed not to correct itself.  We might get whole new group of rooms and they might buy in for a year or two but this isn’t the way to NFL success.  

I think we need to wait until year 2 to compare Koetter and Sark. I actually think Koetter is a slight improvement. 

As far as Dan Quinn. I think his attitude was he trusted Kyle Shanahan 100 percent with the offense. 

I'm not going to attempt to rationalize the Sark hiring.  The Koetter hiring was because Quinn is a horrible head coach.  Koetter has an extensive history in the NFL, including multiple years with the Falcons. One of a HC responsibilities is in hiring and managing coordinators.