Running The Football Still Wins Football Games

FalconsIn2012

I am sick and tired of us trotting our the same one-dimensional offensive attack week after week, year after year.  Since the end of 2017, we refuse to run the football.  It was my primary concern with hiring Dirk.  When things go off script, he abandons the run game with has two consequences: it leaves your OL out to dry and gets your QB killed.  

Just look at the numbers:

¥. 49ers W/Shanahan: 1,200 yards rushing

¥.  Packers W/LaFleur: 850 yards rushing

¥.  Bevell W/Lions:  700 yards rushing despite just 3.7 ypc

¥.  Koetter W/Falcons: 540 yards rushing @ 3.8 ypc.

And before anyone says being down prevents you from running the ball: bullcrap.  The Patriots were down 28-3 with 20 minutes left and still ran the ball 15 times on their final 4 possessions.  If they had simply abandoned the run, we likely win that game

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

Causation versus correlation: Are teams winning by running the football or running the football because they’re winning? 

They're winning because they're running the football.  It's the easiest thing in the world for a defensive staff to gameplan against an offense that can't run.  It's infinitely more complicated when an offense is balanced. Look at those years the Saints went 7-9.  They're running game was an afterthought.  Now they're **** near unstoppable because they can throw everything at you.  Linebackers can't just drop into coverage, defensive lineman can't just fly up the field.  Defenses have to be out there thinking.

Sean McVay's offense looks completely different when they can't run.  Everything comes off play-action.  When that ground game is rolling they look like an offense that'll revolutionize the game -- an easy 40 points every Sunday.  When it ain't, they struggle to score in the mid-20's.

And that's before you get to the affects running the ball has on the game outside of statistics and x's and o's.  There is a palpable psychological effect that takes place when a team can run the ball against you.  It demoralizes you because the act of running more times than not involves overpowering a man.  You'll never see a defense more frustrated, more hands on hips, more exasperated looks than when they can't stop a run.

Conversely, you'll never see a team more charged up on both sides of the ball when you can run on someone.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I am sick and tired of us trotting our the same one-dimensional offensive attack week after week, year after year.  Since the end of 2017, we refuse to run the football.  It was my primary concern with hiring Dirk.  When things go off script, he abandons the run game with has two consequences: it leaves your OL out to dry and gets your QB killed.  

And before anyone says being down prevents you from running the ball: bullcrap.  The Patriots were down 28-3 with 20 minutes left and still ran the ball 15 times on their final 4 possessions.  If they had simply abandoned the run, we likely win that game

Only one team abandoned the run in LI and it wasn’t the Pats.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

I hear you bro,

the clowns here will invent a thousand of new statistics and reasons like points per drive and manicures per nail, as to why Bevel should not have been hired over Kutty. The Saints and Niners are winning by running the ball and shutting down the run. Good old Mike Smitty ball with the exception that they have a pass rush. 

That's why I want us to do what it takes to draft DeAndre Swift.