Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AF89

Watchmen (HBO)

8 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

So apparently it hasn't been explained on the show yet, but apparently no one in this universe uses cell phones or the internet. 

I pointed this out to my dad during the pilot that in this universe it seemed like America utilized super levels of irl Chinese government controls on social media, probably in response to things like White Night.

I have to hand it to the show runners they've pulled no punches. We are presented with a timeline that seems like both a leftist and a conservative's fear of a slippery slope dystopian society. For instance nobody seems to have any 4th amendment rights whatsoever but the police also have to go through like a crazy amount of red tape just to pull their fire arm from a literal locking device

Just now, AF89 said:

I pointed this out to my dad during the pilot that in this universe it seemed like America utilized super levels of irl Chinese government controls on social media, probably in response to things like White Night.

I have to hand it to the show runners they've pulled no punches. We are presented with a timeline that seems like both a leftist and a conservative's fear of a slippery slope society. For instance nobody seems to have any 4th amendment rights whatsoever but the police also have to go through like a crazy amount of red tape just to pull their fire arm from a literal locking device

RE: cell phones

apparently the cell phone ban is a result of fear that the giant squid Veidt transported to New York City in the comic (the movie scrapped this for energy similar to Dr. Manhattan) was transported by cellular waves, so cell phone technology was never implemented in the consumer market

9 minutes ago, AF89 said:

I have to hand it to the show runners they've pulled no punches. We are presented with a timeline that seems like both a leftist and a conservative's fear of a slippery slope dystopian society. For instance nobody seems to have any 4th amendment rights whatsoever but the police also have to go through like a crazy amount of red tape just to pull their fire arm from a literal locking device

The whites-only shanty town named Nixonville was an interesting touch.  I'm assuming we'll get an explanation as to how the events of 1985 led to Redford getting elected and a general shift to the left in the country, I'm assuming it was a rejection of Nixon.  It definitely appears to be a totalitarian/authoritarian state, with the caveat that the police force has to guide the identities of its individual members.

Also the decision to turn everybody's favorite character from the movie into white nationalist martyr was probably a heII of a gamble (I'm wondering if this is perhaps a factor in the rumor I can't remember I read somewhere that Alan Moore was not happy with the overall project) but it actually kinda works.

Think about all the irl use of the Punisher logo in our own society except if he was a real person tired of all the bullchit that let monsters walk (and also posthumously wrote journal that everything THEY have been telling you is a bold face lie, it's like a red pill on crack)

3 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Also the decision to turn everybody's favorite character from the movie into white nationalist martyr was probably a heII of a gamble (I'm wondering if this is perhaps a factor in the rumor I can't remember I read somewhere that Alan Moore was not happy with the overall project) but it actually kinda works.

Think about all the irl use of the Punisher logo in our own society except if he was a real person tired of all the bullchit that let monsters walk (and also posthumously wrote journal that everything THEY have been telling you is a bold face lie, it's like a red pill on crack)

Alan Moore has wanted nothing to do with any of the adaptations, but apparently the illustrator likes this version.  It was absolutely a gamble for pissing off the folks that had only seen the movie and never read the comics, like myself, but it makes sense given Rorschach's character moreso in the comics -  he's racist, it's part of his paranoia.  In the movie, all the "heroes" are clearly flawed, but you can't help but be captivated by Jackie Earle Haley's standout performance.  But given modern white supremacist's love of (((conspiracy theories))) it makes sense they would latch onto his diary like the modern day Turner Diaries. 

I member in college like every Halloween there would be a dozen Rorschachs (at least half the number of Heath Ledger jokers) and my roommate who had the movie  memorized and actually did a pretty dam good one, even had the world is ending picket sign for when he took the mask off and had the gravely rhetoric down to a tee.

Would be super ackward now :lol:

I feel for the guy out there (had to be at least one) who saw Watchmen was fixing to make a comeback and had his Rorschach costume ready to go for last weekends parties