2020 QB Coach: Matt Schaub

FalconsIn2012

This performance confirmed one thing to me: Schaub is the utmost expert in Flowery Branch on the Kubiak/Shanahan offensive scheme.  And it’s not even close.

The quick hitters and union between Schaub’s drop back and release were classic WCO.  A subtle but important difference to what we’ve seen all season.

If we have complete regime change but opt to hire a coach with WCO pedigree, then I sincerely hope Schaub is offered the position of QB Coach.  Dude could end up being a tremendous coach and eventually OC

Deion Jones even credited Matt Schaub with his development as a player also.I agree in some sort of capacity.Remember in the off season even now a lot round here wanted Schaub gone.He can still play man,to come in like he did and throw for a TD and 460 he’ll yeah dudes still got petrol left in the tank.

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Deion Jones even credited Matt Schaub with his development as a player also.I agree in some sort of capacity.Remember in the off season even now a lot round here wanted Schaub gone.He can still play man,to come in like he did and throw for a TD and 460 he’ll yeah dudes still got petrol left in the tank.

I remember Debo saying that.  Great point.  

Schaub still has a great mind which is essential in the WCO.  If the QB makes the proper pre-snap read, his footwork and the timing of the throw should be perfectly in sync on the 3rd, 5th or 7th step of the drop.  Sprinkle in an effective run game and PA or naked bootlegs become an absolute nightmare for opposing defenses.  

Sounds so simple.  It’s not, though.  

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

He might as well remain our other #2 next season.

Nah.  We need to develop some young guys (I mean really take it seriously...no more Schaub crutches).   I was one of the few who thought and still think Schaub is capable of piloting this team without a ton of drop off from MR2 (not as good but competent).   He's a pretty good game manager, arm still has some zip and I think he is actually cooler in the pocket than MR2 but we need new blood.  I'm definitely on board for a coaching position of some kind.

2 hours ago, kenn.junior said:

why cant he be our OC he knows the wc offense he been with matt since 2015 we have seen kellen moore be an OC for Dallas after being their backup qb why cant schaub do it

You have to earn the right to be an OC. Knowing an offense and knowing when to call a certain play and how to disguise it for later use are very different skills.  

Schaub will have to earn it as QB Coach first