WornOutFalconFan

We shoulda made Shanny head coach.

63 posts in this topic

Just now, 1989Fan said:

You do realize how many High first round Picks were already on that defense before Shanny got there right???

See my subsequent post... Yeah I realize it without all the ??? to make it seem like I don't. We've had plenty of opportunity to have the right players... we just flop on a lot of our choices.

2 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Sure it does... it also hurts a lot to miss on a bunch of picks. Those picks wouldn't be doing much for SF had they been a bunch of Vic Beasleys.

Doesn’t change the fact that Shanny inherited that defense so he can’t be given credit for “building what Q couldn’t.“

would love to have KS as HC but I am not giving him credit that isn’t his due.

1 hour ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

Shanny out there whipping up on the Panthers.

How could we let this guy slip away.

Like a fart in the wind, just gone.

Image result for falcons bag head

To think of all the effort that went into that bag and then to wear it with that shirt....

It’s just sad.

WornOutFalconFan likes this

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Doesn’t change the fact that Shanny inherited that defense so he can’t be given credit for building what Q couldn’t.

It's more than just the players he inherited. He also has a better DC than we do. Regardless of players athletic talent, we can't line up properly.. we have no idea what our assignments are, and out defense is so simplistic that other teams mock it after they play us.

I screamed when shanny left.... my screams were to deaf ears.  DQ was not the key.  Shanny was the key.  I wonder how much TD pushed for DQ.

Edited by Realsurfin
vitaman likes this

4 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Sure it does... it also hurts a lot to miss on a bunch of picks. Those picks wouldn't be doing much for SF had they been a bunch of Vic Beasleys.

I think McKinley will have his best year next year on the end of his contract after we either get Derrick Brown or Chase Young, then Takk walks in free agency.

Beasley was just a straight up disaster. One REALLY productive season (sack-wise at least) and just non-factorism the other 3 years of his career here.

TheUsualStuff likes this

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Doesn’t change the fact that Shanny inherited that defense so he can’t be given credit for “building what Q couldn’t.“

That would make a lot more sense if they didn’t have the worst defense in 2016

Then the 9th worst in 2017

Just now, FalconMama said:

Hindsight is a *****. No one saw us falling off this hard so fast under Quinn. Firing Quinn would've been an emotional reaction and you don't fire a coach that has taken your organization to the SB for the 2nd time in it's existence. We ALL assumed our roster was strong enough to go back the next year.  It wasn't and now we're here.

Blank has a chance to make this right and go find a diamond in the rough that can become a Kyle Shanahan and not blow it in the SB. 

I hate to say it people. But I believe there's something much bigger wrong with the Falcons. Something much deeper than this. I mean, just firing Quinn is going to barely fix anything. Dimitroff has to go too, and even then, we're in big cap trouble. 2016 was the last year of the Georgia Dome and so special, that was our only window for awhile. We had one good year in Mercedes Benz Stadium when it opened in 2017, but since 2018 and on Mercedes Benz has been a shell and absolutely inferior to the Georgia Dome. I didn't want to believe in the "new stadium curse", but it might be real now. The Falcons have a major culture problem. You sense a different vibe watching other defenses from other teams across the league, and those players have better leadership overall. We need a new reset. We need new culture on the defensive side of the ball, like when's our next John Abraham coming? (and no Grady is not an Abraham, Cam Jordan, or Luke Keuchly). Trae Young is starting to sell out Hawks tickets, and Ronald Acuna is slowly bringing the Braves back to 90's form. The Falcons just need a complete reset now. Super Bowl teams from a specific franchise, do it with different groups unless you're a dynasty team. More than likely the Falcons will have a new QB, new GM and new coaching staff the next time we get to the Super Bowl, ****, we may not have Arthur Blank by then. 

2 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

It's more than just the players he inherited. He also has a better DC than we do. Regardless of players athletic talent, we can't line up properly.. we have no idea what our assignments are, and out defense is so simplistic that other teams mock it after they play us.

This is true. Dan’s ego got in his own way when he took over as DC, and may ultimately lead to his firing. 

he also tried too much to fit a square peg in a round who w scheme...by hiring coaches to run Shanny’s offense and running his defense. Shannys scheme is what makes him great, it is his situational awareness and play calling. The plays are pretty similar throughout the league it’s knowing how and when to unleash them.

42 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Ironically, offensively AND defensively.

Shanny, the offensive guy....in just a couple of seasons put together the defense that DQ hasn't been able to put together in 5.

That's really more John Lynch's doing. Lynch knows defense.

Malachore and TheUsualStuff like this

1 minute ago, No.11 said:

That's really more John Lynch's doing. Lynch knows defense.

Yeah that's true... it's just funny that we went with the defensive guru line whisperer and our D is an embarrassment. 

Vandy likes this

He's the next Bilichick. I wouldn't be surprised if the 9ers somehow knock off the Pats in this coming Super Bowl.

More suicide fuel for Falcons fans haha.

19 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I hate to say it people. But I believe there's something much bigger wrong with the Falcons. Something much deeper than this

I just went back and looked through the predict the record thread annnd lets just say ... that's why i don't make predictions!

1 hour ago, NCFalconfan said:

Even casual fans could see that Atlanta's juggernaut offense had everything to do with our success while Quinn's side of the ball had little to do with it. Someone with this team should have grown a set of balls and do whatever it took to keep the architect of that offense here and let Quinn take the demotion or take his services somewhere else. In the VERY LEAST you promote one of the offensive assistants and put Quinn on notice that his defense had better produce or the O.C.'s next promotion is the head coaching job.

Unfortunately,  teams that haven't experienced a lot of greatness don't recognize it very well even when it's on it's own staff. I have a feeling that when it's all said and done Shannahan will go down as one of the best offensive minds to come around in decades. One that we let walk.

What? 

1 hour ago, lee sunset said:

At least 49ers muffed extra point so score was 27-3 instead of 28-3...

Shanny had them intentional muff it as to not pour salt in our wound???

Edited by DirtyBird7000k

Quinn woulda handled all questions had he ever 'really' put a top notch defense on the field from year to year...the fact that he hasnt cost him any cushion going forward...

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Wasn't it reported that they offered Shanny more money than SF to stay on as OC?

I don’t remember that.

I think Quinn secretly wanted Shanahan out because he wanted to show everyone HE was the reason the Falcons went to the Super Bowl.  Not Shanahan.

Thats why none of Shanahans assistants were retained.  Falcons has their rights and when you think about it,  wouldn’t that have made more sense from a continuity perspective? 

Have the assistants stay to help the new OC assimilate the offense?

But no Quinn didn’t want any question that he was the genius that got the Falcons to the Super Bowl. 

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don’t remember that.

I think Quinn secretly wanted Shanahan out because he wanted to show everyone HE was the reason the Falcons went to the Super Bowl.  Not Shanahan.

Thats why none of Shanahans assistants were retained.  Falcons has their rights and when you think about it,  wouldn’t that have made more sense from a continuity perspective? 

Have the assistants stay to help the new OC assimilate the offense?

But no Quinn didn’t want any question that he was the genius that got the Falcons to the Super Bowl. 

i dont know if thats how it was but hiring a rookie OC to call another guys system was an effing knucklehead decision for a veteran team coming off SB appearance... #StupidAsPhuck

NCFalconfan likes this

1 hour ago, ket222 said:

I never understood why out of sheer pride shanahan didn't stay one more year and win a super bowl after the greatest fiasco in sports history.  he would have had a head coaching job waiting for him anyway the next year even if we didn't make the super bowl

any way blank could have paid him like a head coach and allowed him still to stay as off coordinator?

I think he knew he was the reason we made the SB and 49ers was a good opportunity with a legacy franchise couldn’t turn down that bird in hand while waiting for another opportunity plus i think it worked out good for him no ?

Things have fallen nicely for the 49ers, got a good (not great) qb for 2nd round pick.

Bottomed out for 2 years and drafted some defensive studs like Bosa.

A lot of their success falls on coaching though since Shanny can make any offense look great with any player.

4 hours ago, FalconsFanSince194eva said:

DQ just came off an Super Bowl in his second year and y’all wanted him fired. What sane owner would ever do such a thing. 

4 hours ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

You have to use common sense on this one man.

No way was Quinn getting fired and replaced by Shanahan coming off of a SB loss. 

4 hours ago, BUBBASBEANS said:

I agree Shanny is better option but as was stated.......no one could’ve justified firing DQ coming off SB.   Just typical Falcon luck.   Been watching it for 40+ years.   

Exactly.