Just now, caponine said:

slow down their tiger, he fell of huge in the 2nd half of 2015. He was more known for those first 6 or 7 games. After that he was average. 

There are ups and downs in a season. He still had a good 2015 season, numbers support that.

You were basically saying he hasn’t done **** in his career but for one season, and that’s not the. We all know you hate him because you wanted Coleman to be the guy. Just how I see it man.

It’s alright, he will be gone after the season and we can all move on.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who ever paid Freeman and let Coleman walk should get a pink slip.

Kept the wrong head coach too... 

I'm glad for coleman.... perfect match with shanny  but do yall remember coleman last year on this team. We just need to start over at the RB positoo with both gone  

Free is bad and definitely needs to go, but the whole "Coleman would be doing better" argument needs to stop. He sucks too and isn't tearing it up in SF. He's not even playing near the level of the other RB's there....he's playing at the same level as Freeman.

Breida - 73 carries, 511 yards, 5.6 avg

Mostert - 45 carries, 249 cards, 5.5 avg

Coleman - 60 carries, 227 yards, 3.8 avg

and Freeman - 84 carries, 294 yards, 3.5 avg

Edited by CADirtyBird
13 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Current NFL you can only name 3. Think about that. Pass blocking should never be the reason a running back doesn’t get a chance.  Some star receivers can’t run block but you don’t see teams holding them back. 

That last bit is kinda apples to oranges considering the current state of the NFL.

The league has been steadily trending away from rushing for the past decade, and more toward pass-happy offenses. There are countless articles to back this up. Rushing attempts continue to go down while passing attempts go up. So in order to have a 3 down back in today's NFL, they need to not only be able to run, but also catch & pass protect.

You are absolutely right that there are only so many RBs today that offer the ability to consistently do all of those things at a high level. I think this is why you see more teams relying on RBBC backfields now... where certain guys are more ideal for certain situations based on how a specific game is flowing.

Unfortunately, the way games are going for the Falcons is kinda dictating placing a premium on pass blocking.

15 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Current NFL you can only name 3. Think about that. Pass blocking should never be the reason a running back doesn’t get a chance.  Some star receivers can’t run block but you don’t see teams holding them back. 

Plus I don't buy that you can't these young guys to be somewhat capable of pass blocking anyway, and I think I like Ollison's chances against a rushing LB just due to size. I will grant however that this requires coaching and plus learning against our D doesn't afford many opportunities to practice the skill, but I digress.

I have had issues with Free since that SB contract stunt so I may not be objective, but I am definitely ready to move ob... pass blocking be danged... even if it is an issue. We could also at least see these other backs in situations where they are not asked to pass block, but they are getting no chances whatsoever. None of these guys have to be 3 down backs at this point. Makes me wonder why we drafted and kept them.

(Speaking of the Freeman SB contract thing.. we always talk about emulating the Patriots way, and what would have happened if he was playing for that organization and pulled that freaking stunt?)

Edited by TheUsualStuff
1 minute ago, k-train said:

That last bit is kinda apples to oranges considering the current state of the NFL.

The league has been steadily trending away from rushing for the past decade, and more toward pass-happy offenses. There are countless articles to back this up. Rushing attempts continue to go down while passing attempts go up. So in order to have a 3 down back in today's NFL, they need to not only be able to run, but also catch & pass protect.

You are absolutely right that there are only so many RBs today that offer the ability to consistently do all of those things at a high level. I think this is why you see more teams relying on RBBC backfields now... where certain guys are more ideal for certain situations based on how a specific game is flowing.

I don’t know. There can be an argument made for the past 3-4 years teams moving back to having more balanced offenses, even if they use rbbc. The issue is running backs simply aren’t getting paid anymore because of how easy they can be replaced. Zeke, Gurley, Johnson and soon you be Saquon are exceptions because of the unique talent and what they bring when healthy. 

1 minute ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Plus I don't buy that you can't these young guys to be somewhat capable of pass blocking anyway, and I think I like Ollison's chances against a rushing LB just due to size. I will grant however that this requires coaching and plus learning against our D doesn't afford many opportunities to practice the skill, but I digress.

I have had issues with Free since that SB contract stunt so I may not be objective, but I am definitely ready to move ob... pass blocking be danged... even if it is an issue. We could also at least see these other backs in situations where they are not asked to pass block, but they are getting no chances whatsoever. Makes me wonder why we drafted and kept them.

(Speaking of the Freeman SB contract thing.. we always talk about emulating the Patriots way, and what would have happened if he was playing for that organization and pulled that freaking stunt?)

For me, and I know I’m in a small, small circle. I always though Freeman was purely a product of Shanny’s scheme. Never bought into all that vision and shifty bs. 

that said I see no reason as to why they kept the number of backs they kept to begin with unless the plan is to officially let him walk next season and move forward with the young legs. Ito may eventually be the odd man out if he keeps getting head/neck injuries. But in the end you can find a player similar to Freeman in pretty much every draft. But if you have a chance to draft someone on Saquon level you better not pass lol

7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

For me, and I know I’m in a small, small circle. I always though Freeman was purely a product of Shanny’s scheme. Never bought into all that vision and shifty bs. 

that said I see no reason as to why they kept the number of backs they kept to begin with unless the plan is to officially let him walk next season and move forward with the young legs. Ito may eventually be the odd man out if he keeps getting head/neck injuries. But in the end you can find a player similar to Freeman in pretty much every draft. But if you have a chance to draft someone on Saquon level you better not pass lol

I dunno....

Freeman's results were in part due to the scheme.. defintely, but I think he did offer pretty good vision and when fresh and healthy could offer some things to several different schemes if used properly.

For me it was the fact as you and others have pointed out, his skill set was replaceable. Plus with his size I never really would have wanted to invest in him long term, and that was even before he pulled the contract stunt. We treated him almost as if he was one of those rare transcendent backs... and he never was even close to that.

Just now, TheUsualStuff said:

I dunno....

Freeman's results were in part due to the scheme.. defintely, but I think he did offer pretty good vision and when fresh and healthy could offer some things to several different schemes if used properly.

For me it was the fact as you and others have pointed out, his skill set was replaceable. Plus with his size I never really would have wanted to invest in him long term, and that was even before he pulled the contract stunt. We treated him almost as if he was one of those rare transcendent backs... and he never was even close to that.

Oh no I’m not saying he does or doesn’t have good vision. I just didn’t buy it for the reasons provided over the years. Dude was put in the same class as LT and Barry Sanders lol. I can’t buy that. 

In the end, guys just need a chance just like free had the chance to get when people in front of him were injured and not performing. Hill showed a little explosiveness, although it was garbage time last week. I’d love to see what him and Ollison can do in a full game

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I don’t know. There can be an argument made for the past 3-4 years teams moving back to having more balanced offenses, even if they use rbbc. The issue is running backs simply aren’t getting paid anymore because of how easy they can be replaced. Zeke, Gurley, Johnson and soon you be Saquon are exceptions because of the unique talent and what they bring when healthy. 

Yeah, the league is forever gonna swing back & forth between trends. Feels like every 5-10 years we're seeing the same thing all over again. I remember the whole RBBC Thunder & Lighting trend in the 2000's which then gave way to having a "featured" back, which has since begun to trend back toward the RBBC approach. We've seen trends where having an elite pass catching TE is all the rage... then dies down for a few years... then becomes all the rage again. Or having a short, quick slot WR. Every few years (seems like the current state of things), we see a trend toward mobile QBs & people act like it's never been a thing before. Then it's back to finding a prototypical in-the-pocket QB, then back to finding a mobile QB, rinse & repeat.

I think if you are trying to follow the current trend rather than setting one, you've already set yourself up for failure. I seriously think that's where this defense has come up short. By the time Quinn could get his guys in place on the roster & they'd gotten a bit of NFL experience we're looking at 2017. At that point, the heyday of that Seattle-style D was half a decade in the rear-view mirror & the rest of the league had figured out how to beat it.

In order to win, you need talent obviously, but you also need to catch the rest of the league off guard.

I seriously wonder if a team that goes with a D that can contain the current style of NFL offense, and uses a grinding rushing attack & poised pocket passer is gonna be what ends up as the next successful team that then sets the next trend & gets copied by half the league.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

Yeah, the league is forever gonna swing back & forth between trends. Feels like every 5-10 years we're seeing the same thing all over again. I remember the whole RBBC Thunder & Lighting trend in the 2000's which then gave way to having a "featured" back, which has since begun to trend back toward the RBBC approach. We've seen trends where having an elite pass catching TE is all the rage... then dies down for a few years... then becomes all the rage again. Or having a short, quick slot WR. Every few years (seems like the current state of things), we see a trend toward mobile QBs & people act like it's never been a thing before. Then it's back to finding a prototypical in-the-pocket QB, then back to finding a mobile QB, rinse & repeat.

I think if you are trying to follow the current trend rather than setting one, you've already set yourself up for failure. I seriously think that's where this defense has come up short. By the time Quinn could get his guys in place on the roster & they'd gotten a bit of NFL experience we're looking at 2017. At that point, the heyday of that Seattle-style D was half a decade in the rear-view mirror & the rest of the league had figured out how to beat it.

In order to win, you need talent obviously, but you also need to catch the rest of the league off guard.

I seriously wonder if a team that goes with a D that can contain the current style of NFL offense, and uses a grinding rushing attack & poised pocket passer is gonna be what ends up as the next successful team that then sets the next trend & gets copied by half the league.

Sadly, my biggest fear is within the next 5 years the league will be filled with nothing but scrambling QB’s with only a small portion that can actually throw the ball. You rarely see pocket passers anymore and it’s going to hurt my soul when the league is half filled with QB’s scrambling for 700-1000 yards and have **** passing stats. 

52 minutes ago, CADirtyBird said:

Free is bad and definitely needs to go, but the whole "Coleman would be doing better" argument needs to stop. He sucks too and isn't tearing it up in SF. He's not even playing near the level of the other RB's there....he's playing at the same level as Freeman.

and he has missed 3 games sooo?? 

57 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

There are ups and downs in a season. He still had a good 2015 season, numbers support that.

You were basically saying he hasn’t done **** in his career but for one season, and that’s not the. We all know you hate him because you wanted Coleman to be the guy. Just how I see it man.

It’s alright, he will be gone after the season and we can all move on.

yeah 2016 was that year. He did not produce the whole last half of the regular season. He may have had one 100 yard game but he was not a difference maker those last 7 or 8 games 

5 hours ago, caponine said:

The run game would have definitely been better with Coleman. He would have hit the holes that Freeman doesn’t.  Anybody that is still making excuses is in Denial. He fumbled, and really was embrassing out there last Sunday. Its time to stop with all the excuses. Blamed The OL and coachig staff for Freeman’s failures. LOL. Its the same group that claims they know football but get it wrong every time. They know who they are, all they say is “ I know you haven’t played football a day in your life, so you dont know football. 

Coleman was secretly the weapon behind our SB run, he was a problem in the run and pass game and when he came out in the big game our offense tanked. I figured as much as DK loved screens he would have been useful to us. Was hoping they would cut or trade Free to make room for him. 

6 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

But hey, he didn’t he to prove anything because he was still the old Freeman right. Lmao. We weren’t allowed to blame the OL for Coleman’s mishaps so that same energy should be had for the player who’s vision allows him to make plays :lol:

At least Teco averaged almost 5 ypc last year behind basically the same oline.

2 hours ago, CADirtyBird said:

He's in a new offense, fresh off injury, and he is starting to come on. Less fumbles than Defumble. 

16 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

Coleman was secretly the weapon behind our SB run, he was a problem in the run and pass game and when he came out in the big game our offense tanked. I figured as much as DK loved screens he would have been useful to us. Was hoping they would cut or trade Free to make room for him. 

Fatcs , should have never had given him that big contract to begin with. Should have split it with Coleman. Coleman was a big part of this offense that people still dont realize 

That's why when he grumbled before the Super Bowl about the contract and then the Falcons gave it to him, I said this could come back to bite them. I also said I would rather rather re-sign Coleman over Freeman back then. The RB position is always loaded where you can find someone good for cheap, no need to sign them to big contracts.

5 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Would have gotten us a first round draft pick and more if we traded him after he tried to blackmail Arthur Blank during the superbowl week

Yeah I wanted him gone during that period. Whether it was him, his agent or whoever. Freeman was ultimately responsible for that crap and sure as h*** responsible for that pivotal missed block.

3 hours ago, TheUsualStuff said:

Freeman is catching wayyy too much Flack.  He’s a good back. Top 5 before he got hurt. Still a top 10 back imo. I don’t care where you were drafted or what block you missed.....he still ran for over 3k yards and scored 35 TDs in a 3 year span.  He still has that nose for the end zone as evident on his 3 TDs receiving. He’s underrated as a pass catcher. He still can make guys miss in tight spaces and he still burst through holes(when they rarely appear). Our struggles aren’t his fault. He is still a good back. Maybe you guys haven’t seen how terrible our OL is overall. Our 2 best players on it are playing subpar ball right now. The others are barely serviceable starters. That combined with a defense who can’t stop a runny nose with a roll of tissue creates the perception of ineffectiveness at the position.