TheFalcoholic

Freeman v coleman

445 posts in this topic

Devonta Freeman is averaging 42 rushing yards per game. Thru 7 games, he has 294 yards on the ground and 0 rushing TDs. He is on pace for 672 yards rushing this year. 

 

I’m sure part of this is playing from behind all the time. He’s only averaging 12 carries per game. Still, this needs to be his last year as a Falcon. Finding a trade partner before the deadline would be WONDERFUL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

But hey, he didn’t he to prove anything because he was still the old Freeman right. Lmao. We weren’t allowed to blame the OL for Coleman’s mishaps so that same energy should be had for the player who’s vision allows him to make plays :lol:

What's funny is I did say last year we should have kept Coleman and let failing Defumblè Freeman go. Dude looked like he was running in quick sand on some plays, and had been hurt alot. Those injuries took their toll on him. I would have taken his $4M cap hit too, he was cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

But hey, he didn’t he to prove anything because he was still the old Freeman right. Lmao. We weren’t allowed to blame the OL for Coleman’s mishaps so that same energy should be had for the player who’s vision allows him to make plays :lol:

So true. Quinn is still running him.  Not sure why he is stuck in not giving the young guns an opportunity. He just keeps banging his head against the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Embrace the suck said:

What's funny is I did say last year we should have kept Coleman and let failing Defumblè Freeman go. Dude looked like he was running in quick sand on some plays, and had been hurt alot. Those injuries took their toll on him. I would have taken his $4M cap hit too, he was cheap. 

 

23 minutes ago, red falcon said:

So true. Quinn is still running him.  Not sure why he is stuck in not giving the young guns an opportunity. He just keeps banging his head against the wall.

It’s amazing how people sit back and truly think they know more than you because they played at a higher level than you did lol. And I was told this by a “good football mind” poster. Told y’all that bs term is thrown around too loosely lol. 
 

there is no reason for anyone to have believed that dude was going to return to form easily after missing that much time. Last year some of us pointed out the OL was the issue and we were told not to blame the OL, it was on Coleman. Now those same people are blaming the OL for Freeman’s mishaps. I love it man. I love it. Now watch one of the main people will come in with a smart *** comment instead of admitting they were wrong. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The run game would have definitely been better with Coleman. He would have hit the holes that Freeman doesn’t.  Anybody that is still making excuses is in Denial. He fumbled, and really was embrassing out there last Sunday. Its time to stop with all the excuses. Blamed The OL and coachig staff for Freeman’s failures. LOL. Its the same group that claims they know football but get it wrong every time. They know who they are, all they say is “ I know you haven’t played football a day in your life, so you dont know football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

 

It’s amazing how people sit back and truly think they know more than you because they played at a higher level than you did lol. And I was told this by a “good football mind” poster. Told y’all that bs term is thrown around too loosely lol. 
 

there is no reason for anyone to have believed that dude was going to return to form easily after missing that much time. Last year some of us pointed out the OL was the issue and we were told not to blame the OL, it was on Coleman. Now those same people are blaming the OL for Freeman’s mishaps. I love it man. I love it. Now watch one of the main people will come in with a smart *** comment instead of admitting they were wrong. :lol:

Truth and would you expect anything less!  :lol:

ya_boi_j likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Embrace the suck said:

What's funny is I did say last year we should have kept Coleman and let failing Defumblè Freeman go. Dude looked like he was running in quick sand on some plays, and had been hurt alot. Those injuries took their toll on him. I would have taken his $4M cap hit too, he was cheap. 

Would have gotten us a first round draft pick and more if we traded him after he tried to blackmail Arthur Blank during the superbowl week

Osiruz and Wardog357 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Devonta Freeman is averaging 42 rushing yards per game. Thru 7 games, he has 294 yards on the ground and 0 rushing TDs. He is on pace for 672 yards rushing this year. 

 

I’m sure part of this is playing from behind all the time. He’s only averaging 12 carries per game. Still, this needs to be his last year as a Falcon. Finding a trade partner before the deadline would be WONDERFUL. 

Just who would give up anything for him? I think the Falcons are stuck with him. 

 

I will be happy once he is no longer here. I lost respect for him once he pulled the crap before the SB. Then to go out and not even put forth the effort to make that block during the SB I wanted him gone then!!!

Edited by high impact
PokerSteve and Chaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let Ollie run. If he doesn’t show out draft one in the top 3 rounds next year. We have an extra 2nd and a RB can be a game changer. 

keep drafting them and let them go when rookie deals are up.

i was a huge Free fan and won’t deny how good he was before the injuries. But it doesn’t seem to be there anymore. That said, Coleman wasn’t the answer either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, red falcon said:

So true. Quinn is still running him.  Not sure why he is stuck in not giving the young guns an opportunity. He just keeps banging his head against the wall.

Pass blocking.

That's the only thing I can think of that kinda justifies it. Yeah, yeah... Free missed a block in the SB, we all know this... but he is generally pretty solid in that aspect of his game. While Free has been beyond frustrating & disappointing as a runner thus far this year, he has actually made some crucial blocks on plays that otherwise might've ended up w/ Matt Ryan landing on IR. Considering the ongoing struggles of the o-line, plus Ito Smith regularly getting totally destroyed trying to help out in pass pro, and guys like Hill & Ollison not having the same level of experience/expertise from going up against NFL starting caliber defenders, Free seems like the only real option to offer any sort of pass blocking help from the backfield.

That said, he is not generating anything in the run game...
... which is leading to us being unable to dictate the flow of the game & sustain longer drives
... which means our lame defenses is on the field longer & we are finding ourselves having to play from behind all the time
... which means we have to abandon the run early & rely on throwing almost exclusively in order to score fast and try to catch up
... which means we become one-dimensional and teams can blitz at will
... which means pass blocking becomes more critical than carries
... which means Free is in the game instead of other backs

Ideally, we would try to see if Ollison or Hill can get anything going early, so we aren't in the position of having to abandon the run by late in the 2nd quarter & relying so heavy on pass pro because the opposing d knows exactly what we are trying to do.

Rings likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, k-train said:

Pass blocking.

That's the only thing I can think of that kinda justifies it. Yeah, yeah... Free missed a block in the SB, we all know this... but he is generally pretty solid in that aspect of his game. While Free has been beyond frustrating & disappointing as a runner thus far this year, he has actually made some crucial blocks on plays that otherwise might've ended up w/ Matt Ryan landing on IR. Considering the ongoing struggles of the o-line, plus Ito Smith regularly getting totally destroyed trying to help out in pass pro, and guys like Hill & Ollison not having the same level of experience/expertise from going up against NFL starting caliber defenders, Free seems like the only real option to offer any sort of pass blocking help from the backfield.

I’m gonna ask you something I always ask when they mention pass protection for a running back. Name 3 great pass blocking running backs. 
 

The last time I asked that question the person started spouting running backs from great passing teams. Even named Kamara as one and he’s a huge part of the passing game in New Orleans

Osiruz and PokerSteve like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 There is actually a lot more to this than the old Freeman versus Coleman debate. Freeman when he signed his contract was not injury prone and Coleman wanted to test the market. 

 The 0L has been bad ever since Levitre started having injury problems. However, we aren’t running the same blocking scheme from last year so there is an additional aspect that Freeman is adjusting to since we aren’t outside zone all the time anymore. 

These are also facts 

It’s also why it’s rather hypocritical to say no excuses for one player but excuses for another.

 If circumstance must be examined separately and objectively. Yeah, the old Freeman was a better all-around player than Coleman, but what can you do once Freeman was on the contract? I think next year is the first season you can actually cut him.

We could use pre-knee injury Freeman right now. 

Oh and definitely our first round pick back healthy! 

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team paid him after 1 good season thats ridiculous. Funny thing is 2016 was his only good season. After the contract , he didnt seem like the same player anymore. 

TheJudge likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

 There is actually a lot more to this than the old Freeman versus Coleman debate. Freeman when he signed his contract was not injury prone and Coleman wanted to test the market. 

 The 0L has been bad ever since Levitre started having injury problems. However, we aren’t running the same blocking scheme from last year so there is an additional aspect that Freeman is adjusting to since we aren’t outside zone all the time anymore. 

These are also facts 

It’s also why it’s rather hypocritical to say no excuses for one player but excuses for another.

 If circumstance must be examined separately and objectively. Yeah, the old Freeman was a better all-around player than Coleman, but what can you do once Freeman was on the contract? I think next year is the first season you can actually cut him.  

he had 1 good season and was not the size of an nfl size rb. A blind man could have seen that coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@caponine

Yet his rushing numbers were very similar in 2015. YPC was similar in 17 also at 4.4, but total yards and receptions were in decline I agree. Also...he had 20 more receptions in 15 than “his only good season”

I know your a hater but let’s not make stuff up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

I’m gonna ask you something I always ask when they mention pass protection for a running back. Name 3 great pass blocking running backs. 
 

The last time I asked that question the person started spouting running backs from great passing teams. Even named Kamara as one and he’s a huge part of the passing game in New Orleans

Marshawn was great at it.
Bell is really good, too.
Frank Gore has been pretty solid as well.
Zeke has generally been good in that area, too
 

Schwarzwald likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

@caponine

Yet his rushing numbers were very similar in 2015. YPC was similar in 17 also at 4.4, but total yards and receptions were in decline I agree. Also...he had 20 more receptions in 15 than “his only good season”

I know your a hater but let’s not make stuff up.

slow down their tiger, he fell of huge in the 2nd half of 2015. He was more known for those first 6 or 7 games. After that he was average. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, k-train said:

Marshawn was great at it.
Bell is really good, too.
Frank Gore has been pretty solid as well.
Zeke has generally been good in that area, too
 

Current NFL you can’t name anymore than those 3. Think about that. Pass blocking should never be the reason a running back doesn’t get a chance.  Some star receivers can’t run block but you don’t see teams holding them back. 

Stryka, PokerSteve and red falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now