• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kudos to Matt Schaub playing well in this offense despite lack of a running game.  He really spread the ball around well today.  If we didn't miss field goals, Schaub could have led us to ou

Yea more like Kudos to Julio, Ridley, and Gage for absolutely bailing out Schaub on several AWFUL throws today. Receivers balled out and played hard today 

"If we didn't miss field goals, Schaub could have led us to our 2nd win of the season against a good football team." Don't forget the Freeman fumble. That cost the team another 7 points

15 hours ago, Embrace the suck said:

Depends what you like. You seem to value matt Ryan stats and a QB over a SB so to me you are like deer in the headlights. 

The plan is to bring in a rookie along for one year then cut or trade Ryan in the second, someone like Joe Burrow. 

This allows us to build around a cheap QB while shedding Mr2's super expensive contract allowing us to sign vet players on defense to supplement the draft. 

*ahem* Ryan performed well in the SB that should have been ours.

Again, head in the sand. Coaching matters.

You only save $10M in cap hit this year compared to a rookie 1st.

That ain’t fixing nothing. Let’s be the FA heroes with extra cap space and just make sure we don’t mess up on which QB to rest our future hopes on.

@Jerz #Quinning

Falcons tried drafting defense primarily rounds 1-3 from 15-18; save for Coleman/Hooper/Ridley.

in that same time, frame they took 8 picks on Defense in those rounds...

Beasley

Collins

Neal

Debo

Takk

Duke

Oliver

Senat

But please continue on how other teams can do it more lopsided than the Falcons this year...

We just never invest in the defense with draft capital! Not a lie! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

*ahem* Ryan performed well in the SB that should have been ours.

Again, head in the sand. Coaching matters.

You only save $10M in cap hit this year compared to a rookie 1st.

That ain’t fixing nothing. Let’s be the FA heroes with extra cap space and just make sure we don’t mess up on which QB to rest our future hopes on.

@Jerz #Quinning

Falcons tried drafting defense primarily rounds 1-3 from 15-18; save for Coleman/Hooper/Ridley.

in that same time frame they 8 picks on Defense in those rounds...

Beasley

Collins

Neal

Debo

Takk

Duke

Oliver

Senat

But please continue on how other teams can do it more lopsided than the Falcons this year...

We just never invest in the defense with draft capital! Not a lie! :lol:

You keep trying to hammer home Ryans cap hit for this year at 15mil for what?

You realize his 33mil+ cap hit for the next 2 years is considered in contract negotions for any FA wanting a multi year deal right? One year contracts aren’t the only ones being signed in FA.

We are essentially priced out of most impact players in the market that wouldn’t force all of our recent mid round bandaids into starting roles. Basically higher quality competition in camp.

Green Bay used 4 picks in the top 2 rounds in 17’ and 18’ on their secondary and used FA to round out their front 7. Not to mention the 2 first they most recently used on yet another secondary piece and a body for their front 7. 

What we’ve done for the defense since 2017 doesnt even compare. Thats why we are “spending” more on defense than they are.

Two 3rd rounders, a second and a first since 17’ with scrap heap FA acquisitions is what you’re really trying to argue as being adequate? LOL

Like I said the bottom of the defense fell out once again due to neglect.

Like I said, it all looks like crap when you pick and coach poorly.

Let’s have a laugh and move on. We ain’t ever agreeing.

And ya we’ve continued to fail to put an OL together but let’s blame Brees or Rodgers if it were them here.

Who.

Makes.

These.

Decisions!

Look at the DQ era. What draft capital has been in the D vs the O?

Rodgers and Brees getting paid. NO keeps kicking Brees cap hit down the road too, so we aren’t the only ones playing that game.

Truth is we’ve made terrible roster decisions. How you think changing the QB is gonna fix that with a window MERELY based on a rookie contract and rolling the dice on that rookie lasting as long or becoming an elite QB like Matt is besides the point.

We don’t have the coaches or GM to make it happen. Something is wrong and Ryan can easily be the QB here at age 40 if he wanted to play here.

Roster mismanagement being spun into “look at what Matt needs” Meanwhile we don’t have a run game or OL this year.

Doesn’t seem to stop GB or NO from having good gameplans Meanwhile we have to bench overpaid players like Tru held onto garbage players like Vic. Money better spent rather than complaining you have a franchise QB not on a rookie deal.

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Meanwhile Russell Wilson has less than 200 yds and a win. Again, big QB numbers mean little

But hey, "stats win championships fool". Sorry that’s been stuck in my head since it was said

Sidenote the defense did a great job in the second half along with the offense. Someone needs to learn that football is a tale of 2 halves. 

15 hours ago, The Rock said:

Kudos to Matt Schaub playing well in this offense despite lack of a running game. 

He really spread the ball around well today. 

If we didn't miss field goals, Schaub could have led us to our 2nd win of the season against a good football team.

Which leads me to my supposition that Schaub is perfect to transition us into the next era of our next franchise quarterback. Matt performed admirably, but he is done in this franchise. Too old. Too lackluster. Hard to get excited about him at all. 28-3 era... And he has demonstrated that he is not capable of delivering us to the promised land time and time again. Time to purge and transition into next phase. Hopefully we get a top two pick and get Tua. We might not ever be in this draft position ever again. We can I'll afford not to draft our next franchise quarterback if given the chance. If we can get 2 ones for Matt, then we'd be fools not to do it. 

5 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:

Which leads me to my supposition that Schaub is perfect to transition us into the next era of our next franchise quarterback. Matt performed admirably, but he is done in this franchise. Too old. Too lackluster. Hard to get excited about him at all. 28-3 era... And he has demonstrated that he is not capable of delivering us to the promised land time and time again. Time to purge and transition into next phase. Hopefully we get a top two pick and get Tua. We might not ever be in this draft position ever again. We can I'll afford not to draft our next franchise quarterback if given the chance. If we can get 2 ones for Matt, then we'd be fools not to do it. 

I agree with much of what you say but because of the contract, Ryan isn't going anywhere.

Ryan isn't a bad QB but he isn't as great as some people think especially in the role as a leader of the team. Stats, he has them. The personality to inspire others, not so much.

The Falcons have to become a defensive juggernaut before the team can win with Ryan.

20 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

You keep trying to hammer home Ryans cap hit for this year at 15mil for what?

You realize his 33mil+ cap hit for the next 2 years is considered in contract negotions for any FA wanting a multi year deal right? One year contracts aren’t the only ones being signed in FA.

We are essentially priced out of most impact players in the market that wouldn’t force all of our recent mid round bandaids into starting roles. Basically higher quality competition in camp.

Green Bay used 4 picks in the top 2 rounds in 17’ and 18’ on their secondary and used FA to round out their front 7. Not to mention the 2 first they most recently used on yet another secondary piece and a body for their front 7. 

What we’ve done for the defense since 2017 doesnt even compare. Thats why we are “spending” more on defense than they are.

Two 3rd rounders, a second and a first since 17’ with scrap heap FA acquisitions is what you’re really trying to argue as being adequate? LOL

Like I said the bottom of the defense fell out once again due to neglect.

Bottom 3  D in NFL last year so what do we do? Spend all our cap and two 1st round picks on offense.

SMH, it was baffling jerz yet everyone told us “they have a plan”. 

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Bottom 3  D in NFL last year so what do we do? Spend all our cap and two 1st round picks on offense.

SMH, it was baffling yet everyone told us “they have a plan”. 

Eternal optimist always believe we have a plan just to watch the season burn up in flames yet again.

This team waits until the holes are glaring and obvious before making any half@zz attempt to fix them. That essentially puts us way behind the curve in getting the unit  at the very least just decent.

We then have to wait for guys to develop since they’re usually mid round raw prospects which puts us behind the curve even more.

Look at what the Seawhawks did when they had to purge their defense. They continued to allocate most of their resources to the defense and give Wilson very little to work with because he’s a good QB. 

Thats how they stayed afloat during their rebuild because Wilson makes guys on his side of the ball better. He makes his contract worth it.

All you can really shoot for is a chance in the playoffs. The more chances you have the better. 

We continue to try and build the perfect safe haven for Ryan and neglect our D. 

3 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Saints go on a huge winning streak with their backup = Payton is a genius, fire Quinn. 

Schaub has a decent game when Ryan is hurt = Ryan sucks, trade Matt Ryan. 

Oh, TATF. Oh, you.......

And, to heaven forbid anyone every think:

Our OCs usually suck and need more weapons to cover their lack of gameplanning/playcalling/player usages...and instead blame THAT 100% on Ryan as a 'he needs weapons' narrative.

Get me an brilliant OC as HC if these 'defensive guru' HC's can't even field a D with less resources.

One side is always gonna have more resources than the other. Good coaching is supposed to be the defacto wild card at carrying a team by it's strategy/discipline/playcalling.

Instead, we can't field an OL; overpaid or otherwise, nor get draft picks to work out on Defense sans-2016.

Blame Matt Ryan. :huh:

Or any franchise paid QB. I'm sure any random FA period will fix coaching and drafting problems.

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

And, to heaven forbid anyone every think:

Our OCs usually suck and need more weapons to cover their lack of gameplanning/playcalling/player usages...and instead blame THAT 100% on Ryan as a 'he needs weapons' narrative.

Get me an brilliant OC as HC if these 'defensive guru' HC's can't even field a D with less resources.

One side is always gonna have more resources than the other. Good coaching is supposed to be the defacto wild card at carrying a team by it's strategy/discipline/playcalling.

Instead, we can't field an OL; overpaid or otherwise, nor get draft picks to work out on Defense sans-2016.

Blame Matt Ryan. :huh:

Or any franchise paid QB. I'm sure any random FA period will fix coaching and drafting problems.

:rolleyes:

The nutty thing is if they traded Matt Ryan tomorrow it would be "Schaub sucks and this guy they drafted can't play, I told you we never should have traded Matt Ryan."

The obsession this board gets with the previous guy (coach, player, GM, hot dog vendor, whatever) is silly.  They suck while they're here, they can do no wrong once they leave.  Then someone like Koetter comes back.

giphy.gif

I will always have good memories of Matt Schaub.

His game against the Patriots in 2005 was probably the best game we ever lost. I was so darn proud of the team, we suddenly looked like a real NFL offense and we showed passion in equalizing the game, even converting a 2 point conversion. Even Pearless Price looked like a legit WR. Matt Schaub rallied the troops throughout the game and he made me realize that we needed to get rid of Vick.

He then netted us two 2nd round picks, which was a great return of a guy originally drafted in the 3rd round.... though we could have used him in 2007. However that helped getting Matt Ryan.

The performance yesterday was quite remarkable for a guy not playing a meaningless down in more than 4 years. His play was probably the only thing I enjoyed watching since week 2.

So kudos to Matt Schaub, your overall Falcons contributions are more than positive and he will always be welcome here.

Edited by Herr Beast
16 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

The nutty thing is if they traded Matt Ryan tomorrow it would be "Schaub sucks and this guy they drafted can't play, I told you we never should have traded Matt Ryan."

The obsession this board gets with the previous guy (coach, player, GM, hot dog vendor, whatever) is silly.  They suck while they're here, they can do no wrong once they leave.  Then someone like Koetter comes back.

giphy.gif

Honestly, I was hoping Koetter would work out.

Where was the quick game we saw yesterday vs the Rams?

fwiw, I thought Schaub was releasing the ball a little quicker than Ryan. Their arm strength and accuracy look about the same. Ryan just seems to have a little more "hesitation" than he used to. Like he's not sure if the receiver is open, or gonna break open. Or gonna break the right way. I think that comes down to a fear of failure. Ryan holds himself very accountable when he throws a pick. He doesn't wanna let the team down. And that extra .2 seconds of hesitation is often the difference in the defender knocking it away or not. Or a pick. Or an underthrow.

Schaub otoh played like he has nothing to lose. Which he doesn't. This is the way a QB should play all the time. They have to be smart, but continuously fearless when releasing the ball.

This also comes into play with Ryan and the early leads we (used to) accumulate. When we got way ahead he would get too cautious, which often backfired and allowed other teams to catch us. He didn't play with the same fearlessness he did early in the game. Then when we get behind, he get's that "nothing to lose" mentality again and makes a hard charge, either successful or not.

Playing QB is 95% mental. The other 5% is in your head. ;)